IGNORED

Frickin' Horn

jackflash

I know this sounds trivial but my horns work intermittently on my 1200RT. I use the damn things to stay alive. I can jiggle the "hi tech" connectors on the horns and they'll work till I hit the next bumpy part on a road. I have a nightmare of the dealer replacing the entire wiring harness because there is very little room to replace the connector ends. Is "hi tech" always good? I think not. Thanks, finished venting.

I use the damn things to stay alive.

That there's your problem. I wouldn't know of my horn did work! smile.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

There's a horn? What's it do? How do I work it? Squeeze the tach? I've just been yelling "Get the ^%^& out of my way, idiot!!!"

Here is my previuos post on this issue. You are not the first one to have trouble with the RT horn.

After I read your post on the horns, I rode down hwy 192 blowing my horn to check it and keep the BUZZARDS from flying out in front of me. wink.gif No problem either way.thumbsup.gif

I don't think so.

I use the damn things to stay alive.

That there's your problem. I wouldn't know of my horn did work! smile.gif

I don't think so.

Actually, it's true. Even though my GS is an '05, the horns on the new bikes are much louder than mine. I think they did an significant upgrade on the RT bikes.

I've owned an 05 GS and now an 05 RT and I can tell you the horns on the RT are great and the horn on the GS is worthless. I've used the horn once on the RT by accident and it was loud enough to startle me. I'm just not a horn blower, I prefer sign language grin.gif

I don't think so.

Actually, it's true. Even though my GS is an '05, the horns on the new bikes are much louder than mine. I think they did an significant upgrade on the RT bikes.

I know this sounds trivial but my horns work intermittently on my 1200RT. I use the damn things to stay alive...

Not trivial at all IMHO. Thank goodness my '05 RT horns work well because they saved my wife and me from getting wiped out by an 18-wheeler yesterday when "he" was attempting to make a lane change (into us); there would have been no place for us to go except down and out. Whew!!!

I know this sounds trivial but my horns work intermittently on my 1200RT.

Mine have a "feature" where if you hold the button for more then 2 seconds, it kills the horn circuit until you cycle the power (turn bike off, then on).. New horns are on order from BMW.. If the bike is off, you can lay on the horn as mucgh as the battery can stand, it only cuts out once the bike is running..

Craig

New horns are on order from BMW..
I am very interested is seeing if new horns resolve your issue. I predict that they will not because I think it is an issue with the computer detecting what it thinks is an over current condition when the horn is honked. Mine is now "fixed" because I wired one of the horns directly to the battery. I used the existing horn leads to operate the relay which applies the power to the horn. There is now half the current drawing on the same circuit.
New horns are on order from BMW..
I am very interested is seeing if new horns resolve your issue. I predict that they will not

I agree.. I'll let the board know once they are installed...

Craig

Archived