IGNORED

R1200GS Shifter Adjustment?

Emoto

I wanted to play around with the adjustment a little last night, so I got in there and took a look. I had already repositioned my shift lever on the splines, but wanted to do a little fine tuning...

The threaded shifter adjuster is behind the frame and can be seen more easily if you remove the started cover. There is a threaded rod that connects the two pivot points. Each end of the threaded rod is secured by a locknut that can be loosened with a 10mm wrench.

Fine, I thought. loosen the locknuts and then spin the threaded rod to make adjustments. Simple, right? But noooooooo. The rod would not turn, even after lubrication and grabbing it with pliers. The owner's manual and the service manual offered no pertinent info that I could find.

Anyone know what the deal is?

Thanks!

Don't know the answer to that, but you can easily remove the set screw, pull it off, and put it back on at a different angle. For example, you can rotate it one spline up or down. That might not be a fine enough adjustment for you, though.

Don't know the answer to that, but you can easily remove the set screw, pull it off, and put it back on at a different angle. For example, you can rotate it one spline up or down. That might not be a fine enough adjustment for you, though.

Right - did that already. It isn't so much that I was terribly unhappy with the current position, but I did want it a little lower, and it bugs me that I can't figure out how the darn adjuster works. dopeslap.gif

If you figure it out, let me know. I'd like a spot a tad higher, but not as much as one spline lobe would move it. Since I put those Fastaway pegs on, it's not been exactly where I want it.

I may be wrong but I think if you look closely there is a retaining clip that you can remove from each end of the rod at the sockets then you should be able to remove the whole rod and make the adjustment and reinstall. If I'm wrong I apologize and promise it will happen again grin.gif but I'm pretty sure I did that on mine as the lock nuts were tight enough that I was afraid of breaking the end trying to loosen them.

David, I think you must be correct. Parts of the clips are visible, but I couldn't tell how they fit in, so I didn't mess with them. The service manual was of little help, either. Maybe if I see a new clip (or buy one to keep on hand) I will go ahead and pull it.

basically it has a strait part that fits into a small hole that locks onto the ball then it pivots around and snaps into place. All you have to do is get a hook tool and pull out on it to unclip it then pull it out of the hole. It's a neat set up as they don't fly off and disappear when you remove them like a lot of clips do dopeslap.gif

Yes, the 12GS is the same design that has been used for awhile. Think of it as two steps to remove the retaining clip. First rotate the clip from around the ball socket. You may have to push back the felt to get to it. Then once it is rotated away from the ball, pull it up and out.

The socket will now come off the ball, and the position of the socket can be adjusted on the end of the rod.

Archived