IGNORED

What would YOU have done differently?

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

This is meant as a forum for constructive criticism. Please tell us what worked and what didn't, what you might suggest as an alternative for next time, regardless of location. I had a few private comments prior to the Un regarding the probable heat in the region. That's completely valid. What else?

We had 103 people for dinner and about 65 for breakfast. Maybe a Friday breakfast wasn't a good idea?

I'm really looking for the comments to help the next UnCommittee make next year's UN better than this year's. Please don't bash folks for being critical - it's the only way we'll grow. Besides, I'm a big boy and can take the heat. And, if you would rather share your comments privately, please send me a PM. I'll post the comment list but will absolutely keep your identity confidential.

I loved participating with the rest of the merry band of UnFolks yet I'm happy to hand off the UnReigns. :grin:

Firefight911

I'll go first!

Is there a way we can hold a special class to teach me how to get out of a fire engine without hurting myself. Yea, yea, that would be a good class that I am sure I could learn a lot from!!!! :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Though it can be difficult, I'd love to have everyone quickly round robin with their board name, real name, where they are from, etc. Makes it nice to see who is who, etc. During the dinner maybe.

wELL - i'LL jump in...

I don't think I'll tent it again...too much of the action is hangin' around late at night at the motel(s). Dont' get me wrong, I was happy to commune with my tenting friends too - absolutely...Tenting this time was bitter sweet...hot as hec thru about 2:30 am then throwing everything I had to get comfortable...up thru 7:00am. WILD.

As I get older I long for comfort...hate sayin' that...but that is the reality.

As for the actual "UN"affair - I thought it was spendidly accomplished. As I've said many times before - Great Job, Weinersteve..!

Unless any of us have attempted running one of these animals...who would throw any stones. Certainly not me.

Good on'ya Steve-o

Well first I will say you did a great job! :thumbsup:

It might be good to have the breakfast on the following Thursday instead of Friday since most people are trying to head out if they live a far way away. Also it might be good to know the lay out of the town you are in with relationship to the gathering spot for everyone so you can better pick your motel/hotel/campsite.

Otherwise being unorganized seems great! :thumbsup:

Paul Mihalka

Well it was great!

May be: Don't do communal breakfast or do it in a middle day of the UN. Who has to leave often leaves when the sun comes up - or earlier.

Designate a main motel, so we know where the parking lot party is going to be. So campers and other motel inhabitants will know where most of the folks are.

As Jamie said, there wasn't a non-great Unrally yet. John Day was on top with all the rest!

Steve, thanks again!

Yeeha! Stephen

I didn't get to attend this year, so this about Un VIII.

If you have a Main Hotel/Motel please give them a Heads-Up about how "we" like to parking lot socialize.

The hotel in West Virginia kept sending Security around to break us up and it was before 10pm. Last time around they warned of calling the Police. Bummer...

As for the actual "UN"affair - I thought it was spendidly accomplished. As I've said many times before - Great Job, Weinersteve..!

Unless any of us have attempted running one of these animals...who would throw any stones. Certainly not me.

Good on'ya Steve-o

Every Un is different and every Un has been fabulous. But because a different constellation of people are heading it up and the location changes and time of year changes--how could they NOT be? I may have a unique perspective because I have been a CoUnOrganizer and have attended all seven up to this point, but EVERYONE who attended ANY UnRally also had a unique experience and has their own (potentially! :) ) helpful opinions. But I'm impressed again with Steve bringing this thread on--it really shows that Richard, "The-steel-balls-fairy" is NOT going to be leaving any presents under Steve's pillow any time soon! :grin:

And this is NOT about throwing stones, it IS about Steve's and everyone's desire to improve upon an already great event to help those UnOrganizers coming behind to have an even easier time making their event a rousing success. We're all still basking in the UnRally Afterglow (as "Bullett" so eloquently put it!), so some might think it a bit too soon to be nit-picking (Dude, don't harsh my buzz, Man! :grin: ), but this is still Steve's show and AFAIK it was his idea.

As good as EVERY UnRally has been there is ALWAYS at least one or more things to be learned. There is a separate "UnRally Planning Forum" for each of the previous UnRallies that the next UnOrganizer and their team get to read through to help with the "lessons learned" but there is a LOT of info there to wade through and as far as I recall, this is the first UnRally feedback thread actually solicited by the UnOrganizer! :)

Also, there will always be individuals who would want certain things certain ways: don't put it after summer break, don't put it in the heat of the summer, don't put it too far (or close! :grin: ) from my home, etc., but the other task of the UnORganizer is somewhat like "triage": do the greatest good for the greatest number and don't waste time and limited resources on trying to resuscitate the "non-salvageable" patients! :eek:

Steve already KNOWS this UnRally was one of the best--despite so many of his team winding up as the "walking wounded" (to continue the tortured triage metaphor! :/ ) so he should have no trouble hearing helpful feedback aimed at tweaking any few minor points for the GOOD of the order. So as others have already started, lets' keep it constructive and with an eye towards trying to make the next UnRally equally as AWESOME! :Cool:

I'll go first!

Is there a way we can hold a special class to teach me how to get out of a fire engine without hurting myself. Yea, yea, that would be a good class that I am sure I could learn a lot from!!!! :dopeslap::dopeslap:

Don't look THROUGH the step, look AT the step.

ExitSmart? :grin:

First of all, Great un Steve! Thank you!

It seems to me that the single biggest issue that keeps folks from getting together is proximity of motel to campground. Having attended all unrallies except Eureka Springs, it seems to me that Cody was the best in that regard (literally across the street). This unrally at John Day I believe was #2 in this regard but was a long walk one way from the campground to the hotel that turned into the big gathering spot.

Also, I'll second the comment that to get maximum participation at a breakfast, it should not be the first or last day of the rally. Too many folks arriving late and/or departing early.

Okay, I'll chime in as an UnNooB.

There seems to be an emphasis on the UnBreakfast. Why? I get the UnSupper, but why a big deal about a breakfast gathering? Considering this UnEvent is all about UnOrganization, I don't think so much effort should be placed on organized meals. One is good, more than that seems to lend itself to other, more planned, events.

Steve, I thought you, & your compradres, did a great job. (Well, except for that lame ass in Diamond Springs that tried to show us all up at the last minute. :/ ) Sure, it would have been nice if I didn't have to make THREE trips to the fairgrounds to get registered, but hey, if I had a D/S KTM, I'd have been right there with you, up in the hills, laughing my butt off at how much fun this area has to offer. Besides, after four long, hard days in the saddle, I NEEDED the exercise. So, no worries there, no matter the notes you got. Bad form on those folks. :(

Great job all the way around. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

First of all, Great un Steve! Thank you!

It seems to me that the single biggest issue that keeps folks from getting together is proximity of motel to campground. Having attended all unrallies except Eureka Springs, it seems to me that Cody was the best in that regard (literally across the street). This unrally at John Day I believe was #2 in this regard but was a long walk one way from the campground to the hotel that turned into the big gathering spot.

Also, I'll second the comment that to get maximum participation at a breakfast, it should not be the first or last day of the rally. Too many folks arriving late and/or departing early.

I think the specific location is always going to be compromise. I agree, it would be better if a single establishment could accommodate everyone, but this seems almost impossible. That's about the only thing I could see done better, but I wouldn't want to be asked to do it.

I would suggest that the tendency to gather at the Best Value was not planned, but just happened. The fairgrounds was provided as a gathering spot, and some gathering there did take place. However, I think the Best Value won out for the following reasons:

There was always somebody there.

There was outdoor seating available.

It was shady in the afternoons and quite pleasant in that regard.

I liked the breakfast as an opportunity for a last goodbye. Without it folks would have drifted away from multiple locations unnoticed. Jeez, the food was great and we're complaining about breakfast? :grin:

I thought it was great overall, and certainly no complaints from me. I even thought the climate was fantastic. It was a good time.

I guess too, when you think pnw, you think cool lush coastal forests and rugged coasts. This was a different pnw. I think we benefited from it's isolation, which helped the riding tremendously. I also appreciated that there were some truly great routes in and out on the way.

Jan

Les is more

Jan is right. The specific location is almost always a compromise. I thought having the campground only a few blocks away from the hotels was great. It was easy walking distance for most. That meant a beer or whatever could be had with dinner and there was no need to get on a bike afterwards.

One facility to accommodate all is tough. For many, who come from far away and have a number of nights on the road and for the many whose budget might not allow for hoteling it and for those for whom a part of being out on the road on a bike is the camping, it's great to have a campground nearby. A campground can also be a great hang out place.

A couple the things that made America's Best really good for hanging out -- Fewer mosquitos than the campground, yes, but mostly it's the motor court style of motel. The parking lots was full of bikes and the rooms opened onto the parking lot. Room doors could be left open for access to fridges, bathrooms, etc., chairs could be brought out, and people could gather around bikes to swap lies. Besides, we're a bunch of Beemer geeks and Best Western's internet was down. :grin::grin:

The gathering point almost always turns out to be the one that comfy or has the most Gemütlichkeit (a German abstract noun that has been adopted into English. Its closest equivalent is the word "coziness"; however, rather than merely describing a place that is compact, well-heated and nicely furnished (a cozy room, a cozy flat), Gemütlichkeit connotes the notion of belonging, social acceptance, cheerfulness, the absence of anything hectic and the opportunity to spend quality time.) Amazingly, under the right circumstances, a motel parking lot can fulfill those conditions.

As far as meals, the breakfast is a tough call. I like having a couple of organized meals. After all, most of us made the trip to combine riding with a face to face meet-up with our cyber buddies. All breaking bread in one place a for a couple of meals is a great way to see everyone and share in the community that sets this place apart.

As to the timing of breakfast--tough call. I see the value in the last day for exchanging farewells and the 6 AM start time was nice and early but people do get antsy to get on the road. A more organized breakfast mid-stay might be good with a casual pastries, coffee, juice kind of thing on the last morning.

Another thing that's worked well in the past is a casual, throw in $5 bucks, we'll be in the campground or at whichever hotel, pizza on the first night that most people arrive. Again, just to get the group together as much as possible.

I think Steve struck a very good balance between UN and too organized. He picked a town that's accustomed to having much larger groups come in. Even the restaurants coped very well when numbers of diners swelled from 12 to 30.

The hardest part of Unorganizing an Unrally is finding the location that offers great roads, decent lodging, camping, decent food, nearby gas stations and everything else people want.

Job well done, Steve!

I didn't attend and would have loved to, but being in North Carolina it was just too hard to accomplish. But, having been to Torrey it was pretty clear to me that your camaraderie, that is, the folks that have developed strong relationships throughout the years is a great thing to see but it makes it extremely difficult for first comers or socially shy people to feel included. I would agree, an evening of introducing folks, name tags, maybe a bit of an autobiography included in a small booklet of each attendee and provided the first night would really be a nice touch. I've always felt a part of this family in my own way and it's a bit of a disconnect to go to one of these functions and not have people introducing you to others to make you feel welcome. I don't expect a coat and tie sort of gig but it would be nice to know who's who.

Bruce

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I would agree, an evening of introducing folks, name tags,............I don't expect a coat and tie sort of gig but it would be nice to know who's who.

Hi Bruce. Hopefully you can make another event somewhere down the road. We did have name tags, with everyone's first name, board name and home town. I encouraged wearing of them at the casual social gatherings just for the purpose of getting to know one another. And they were also required for entry to dinner and breakfast.

Off line, it was suggested to me that a coastal venue would have been nice. Someone else decided not to come early on because it was usually in the mid-90s. Completely valid reasons. Please, keep the suggestions coming. Jamie explained my desire for this post well. This is not my need to have everybody pat me on the back. I know it was a good event...I plan events and exhibits for a living and I knew in advance the work required and I didn't disappoint myself. :grin: And I also know that I'll never be able to please everybody with the choices we made. And that's okay too.

It has been suggested that I did all of this alone and that couldn't be further from the truth. I was the visible one onsite, but that was just how everything worked out and wasn't planned that way.

Here is the entire UnRally VII team:

Sebastian “stubble” Mindling (web guru)

Tony “Tony K” Koch (t-shirt design/production guru)

Phil “1bmwfan” Challinor (GPS guru)

Rod “Mr. Yuk” Powell (ride guru)

Bruce “Bruce H” Henriksen (ride guru)

Wade “kitsap” Taylor (ride guru)

Larry “Whip” Kachadourian (allroundgoodguy)

Steve “Dances with Snow Flurries” Reinig (allroundgoodguy)

Bill “A-Red Bill” Rathbone (allroundgoodguy)

David “doc47” Levine (allroundgoodguy)

Mike “IrishMike” McKennedy (allroundgoodguy)

Kent “Pilgrim” Lundgren (allroundgoodguy)

Phil “Fasterpill” Mares (allroundgoodguy)

Pat “USAF1” Patterson (allroundgoodguy)

The folks listed above weren't the only ones involved either. All of the administrators and moderators also chimed in on the hidden-from-your-view planning forum, along with several prominent board members. Mark and Sylva Menard (last year's UnFolks) spent time on the phone with me. Bend Bill gave me the idea to talk to Hutch, to get the wonderful maps. Tom "Boney" Fogel decided to make and prerun some dirt roads in the area and then emailed me the GPS routes. I never once asked him to do this, it was all his idea, and he never came.

Speaking on the Planning Forum, there were 22 separate threads started and 414 posts, plus countless emails and phone calls. Two cities, JD and Packwood, WA, were tied for the location choice and at least 2-3 others were in the semifinals. It really is a delicate combination of support infrastructure that makes for a successful UN location.

Professionally, I always "wrap" a job, hosting a postmortem with all involved, see what worked see what didn't work. I want the next UnCommittee to learn from our successes and from our not-quite successful things. Having a map would have been easy, I could have printed the Google map I made.

Thanks to all of you who have replied here and to me in a PM. I hope the posts here will encourage more of you to tell us what you think.

I was sweating a little when I had to order the tee shirts as only 80 people were registered at that point...I ordered 135 shirts and only have 6-7 left over. Phew!!

I think I'll suggest to the UN for next year to have the registration go live at the same time as the event is announced. If that isn't possible, then going live a month earlier (beginning of April - 3 months out) is a good idea.

Please keep the comments coming...

Thanks!

First, I agree with what's been said that ALL the Unrallies have been great, and I extend my thanks to ALL the people who worked so hard to put them together.

As others have pointed out, the proximity of the campground to motel(s) is perhaps the most important, yet most difficult accomplishment when picking a site. Cody was perfect. Others less so. The farther away 2 or 3 locations are, the more chance that the the event breaks up into 2 or 3 smaller gatherings. Some of my thoughts:

Paul's idea about designating a main location is very good.

For those events where there is a substantial distance between locations, would it be too far out to have a kind of shuttle? Maybe even rent a car/van and solicit non-imbibing volunteers to drive between locations, say every hour or two?

Some of the Unrallies have had a kind of "message central" with a blackboard/corkboard or other such thing. Unrally 6 had the complete list of attendees where said people "checked in," and were able to post messages like "meeting for dinner at XYZ restaurant at 7:00" or "taking the XYZ loop tomorrow, meet here at 8:00 am." If the designated main location has no such thing, could someone bring a large easel and board to accommodate?

Reflections on my own first Un reveals no faults and all praise. With advance preparation by the UnCommitee (clearly much more work than disclosed) the town of John Day was ready and happy to receive us (along with our open wallets - tourism is important to their economy). Last January when I added my name to the "YES" list and made my motel reservation, I sensed from those who responded ahead of me that the A-B-V would be the "happening place to be" and so it was. It was no surprise on arrival that the B-W had superior accomodations, but I liked being central to the action - even if I did return my chair to the motel room at bedtime earlier than others. Funny thing about that has already been written... what moto gathering other than BMW riders sees such a display of open laptops at a parking lot happy hour? (OK, I'm guilty too). I thought location of campground to motels was OK from a walking distance - some exercise is good - but I sensed several who camped there were out of direct communication from the rest of us. As Ron suggests, a bulletin board set up centrally would keep people informed - "dinner at the Outpost" or "parking lot party at the A-B-V"? BTW, who drank all those left over beers at the campground, anyway?

I thought nametags were a great touch - actually essential to connecting faces with forum names. I also liked the UnRally VII t-shirt graphics - even if I did wonder how many GS bikes (with except of Weiner Dog's KTM) actually saw dirt. I also agree that John Day's relative remoteness enhanced the UnRally experience - especially once out of town to the North or especially Northeast (oh how we loved Hwy 7 taken NE off Hwy 26 - moto Nirvana so we did it three times!). I appreciated those furnished GPS routes and used them as part of our UnRally ride planning. I (we) nearly skipped the Friday pancake breakfast but the 6 AM start time made it possible to enjoy and to say goodbyes. The line of riders at the fairgrounds as meeting hall doors opened showed others were like minded. Some UnRally participants will need to leave a day or so earlier but a final opportunity to say farewell was primo (the food was good too!).

So what would I have done differently? Oh yeah - I nearly forgot - when in doubt, consult the map and stick to pavement. Drswift (Dave) and I attempted to turn our RTs in dualsport motos near Granite - 9 miles roundtrip before returning to pavement. Long before turning around at 4.5 miles, that "road" severely degraded and I was lusting for my Jeep TJ instead of being RT mounted!

Jeff

326495090.jpg

I'll go first!

Don't look THROUGH the step, look AT the step.

ExitSmart? :grin:

No no no no!

He's clearly got target fixation - look where you want to GO not at what you want to AVOID. Sheesh...

Oh - UN suggestions? Like Jamie said - make it closer to where I live! :D

G

As one who camped one night and motel'd one night I found at my advanced age the motel was much better. I've attended a bunch of these things and John Day was a great choice. From my perspective the breakfast would have worked better Thursday morning. The heat was a problem for me even though I live in the desert. I rode home at night mostly and was still recovering days later. A central identified hang out area would be nice, kind of like Torrey does. We always get spread out but I for one never knew people were hanging out anyplace but the fairground so I missed a big part of the "UN". I agree that a coastal location that time of year might have been more comfortable but also more chance of rain in Oregon I think. Since Jamie and Leslie live in San Diego, has that area ever been considered? I've gone to a few rallies there (South Coast) and really enjoyed the area and climate. There is lots to do (Sea World Zoo etc) and great riding especially up toward Julian. The new Indian casino's might have accommodation's for a large group at reasonable prices.

I agree with the comment on "breaking in" for outsiders. I am not shy but even after many years I didn't get to meet as many as I wanted to. A problem was no name tags for many until late Tuesday and after many had scattered. Might be some way to do a downloadable name tag ahead of time with a little sticker to mark it paid. Again the welcome buffet at Torry always seemed like a really good idea. I was hesitant to go on the un organized rides as my "performance award" quota is filled and from what I heard the speeds were high. A thought might be to designate a few rides as "speed limit" deals with sign up sheets. I do a lot of offroad stuff with my Jeep club and we always have easy, moderate and hard runs. Each meeting at such and such a place and at such a time. I for one after a fast paced 850 miles to get to JD, wasn't that hot to go tearing up the turns (getting old I guess). But a nice sight seeing ride with lunch in the middle would have been fun.

Didn't think I had much to comment on, surprised myself. Great time and great people,

Thanks all,

Gregg

This was my first Un, but I thought the location was ideal. The town was small enough to be very relaxing, but still big enough to offer everything I needed...and it was all available within a short walking distance. I enjoyed the opportunity to get a little exercise walking to the fairgrounds, store, and restaurants.

I didn't have a problem with the breakfast, but I wasn't on a tight schedule. Actually, I'm trying to learn how to slow down, take my time, and relax.

As for the motel parking lot party/story-tell events, I think the unorganizer could just set a convenient location and let everyone know where it will be.

Thanks for your pre/during/and post-work Steve and crew!

I cant criticize as every UN is a compromise to fit a specific location. but how about a suggestion?

i was not planning to stay for the breakfast on friday but since it opened at 6;00, i decide to stay and eat. it was great. i like the split on the meals, if you changed the breakfast to a day earlier, i would still be happy...

hannabone just doesn't like missing a party, so maybe next time we designate the evening get-together locations between the major locations ie campground / motel etc... and use a different location each night, that way we know where to be for the bonding time...

i like the idea of a central message board

i think Steve went above and beyond the call... i arrived at noon and he was there to register me.... i'd ave been out riding if i was in his shoes...

thanks again, it was a great week

This was our first UN. First impressions were that it was just about perfect and better than we expected.

It would have been nice to have everybody staying at one place, but that would be a difficult thing to arrange.

We were really thankful for the name tags, since we had not met anyone there in person before. The Oregon BMW rally held in June in John Day doesn't (or didn't) furnish name tags when I attended it a couple of years ago. People there split up in rather "cliqueish" groups and not nearly as friendly or approachable as the UN attendees.

We were thrilled that as soon as we showed up for the UN at the fair grounds that Santa, Michael and Sagerider all came up to greet us. It made us really feel welcome and included. As "newbees" it went a long way toward making the experience enjoyable.

We would have liked it if the breakfast was Thursday instead of Friday, but only because some dumba$$ (me) scheduled a work meeting for Friday morning and had to leave Thursday.

Steve did a GREAT job and our hats and helmets are off to him.

What would we change? Really not much. Perhaps a local vendor of ice, food, sodas, beer, would have been a nice touch, but then again the store was 3 blocks away.

We hope to see everyone at Torrey as it will be our first time.

Well this was my 2nd UN, the first being in Gunnison 06'.

At Gunnison i camped an at John Day I camped.

I had a wonderful time at both

I hope to do it again

Thanks to the UN Crew for EVERYthing..........

What I should have done differently???? Well I guess I would get up earlier and ride more, I only saw half the roads on the maps....

What I would NOT change is the love I felt within the family that is us

I wasn't there but we did attend the WV-UN last year, and I have 2 comments re. future events.

1) Although we are gradually getting to know a few folks, its still, as Bruce stated earlier, sort of a "disconnect" when you read and converse with many in the forums, even feel like you already know some of them, but upon arriving find it difficult to "butt in" to what appears to be "old home week" for some of the folks (you felt like you already knew). Maybe it's my fault for not being more aggressive, but I think it would be a nice touch to have a few of the "old hands" volunteer to greet-upon-arrival apparent noobs or those who just seem "lost" (at dinner or around the tiki bar or wherever the gathering is) and introduce them to a few others--you know, "social lubrication".

2) Rides: again, perhaps some volunteers (who are not navigationally challenged) would post, the evening before on the "previously suggested" bulletin board, some rides they are willing to lead the next day, what time they want to leave, the "type" of ride it will be, and where to congregate...and a place to sign up. Again, this is a sort of "social lubrication".

Other than that, lets keep it as "UN" as possible. My 2 cents. :thumbsup: And no smart remarks about the K-Y Jelly budget for the social lubrication.

Edit: BTW, the WV-UN was GREAT--thanks to Mark & Sylva!

Steve, again, great job, and hats off to all the behind-the-scenes committee members. For my first UN it was just awesome with some of my best day rides ever.

A few comments:

- I didn't think the distance from any of the motels to the fairgrounds was too far. (I definitely needed the exercise).

- The breakfast was a nice way to close the event and say goodbye to lots of folks at once. I wouldn't change it.

- Name tags (with large type for us old blind guys) are a must.

My only suggestions:

- include the lodging locations on the registration list so it's easier to locate folks.

- A big message board would be a great addition.

IMHO the bar has been set pretty high for future Unrallys. :thumbsup:

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
- A big message board would be a great addition.
Yeah, I dropped the ball on that one. Past UNs suggested the same thing and it just fell off of the supply list at some point. Agree completely that it would have been a good idea.

Name tags was good, course I lost mine right off the bat, still have no idea how it got out of the pannier?

Walking to locations no problem, the central location is always going to be predominately determined by environment and conditions. This one, it was SHADE and internet, course it didn't hurt that Mama hoon was staying there! Evening sun on B W made it too hot to hang around the parking lot. We did spend some time at the campgrounds, but skeeters made it feel too much like home in Louisiana!

My blackboard was Jean, she seems to always know where/what everyone is doing!

The motorcycle and how comfortable you are with your choice also makes for a good turnout. I appreciate the comments on camping, as I always (THINK I) want to camp, but have no room for gear.

For Jean and I, we had a great ride getting to the Un-Rally, sort of a mini pied piper tour of YellowStone and some great backroads thanks to "Twisties" and "Bullett"

I wasn't there but we did attend the WV-UN last year, and I have 2 comments re. future events.

1) Although we are gradually getting to know a few folks, its still, as Bruce stated earlier, sort of a "disconnect" when you read and converse with many in the forums, even feel like you already know some of them, but upon arriving find it difficult to "butt in" to what appears to be "old home week" for some of the folks (you felt like you already knew). Maybe it's my fault for not being more aggressive, but I think it would be a nice touch to have a few of the "old hands" volunteer to greet-upon-arrival apparent noobs or those who just seem "lost" (at dinner or around the tiki bar or wherever the gathering is) and introduce them to a few others--you know, "social lubrication".

2) Rides: again, perhaps some volunteers (who are not navigationally challenged) would post, the evening before on the "previously suggested" bulletin board, some rides they are willing to lead the next day, what time they want to leave, the "type" of ride it will be, and where to congregate...and a place to sign up. Again, this is a sort of "social lubrication".

Other than that, lets keep it as "UN" as possible. My 2 cents. :thumbsup: And no smart remarks about the K-Y Jelly budget for the social lubrication.

Edit: BTW, the WV-UN was GREAT--thanks to Mark & Sylva!

It's funny, but the idea of a group--ANY group--as being "clique-ish" always comes up no matter how hard the group might want to identify itself as welcoming and insist: "oh, we're not that way"! One thing that I've noticed is that much of that perception relies on the individual and can be overcome, but everyone is on a different place along that road.

One way I found out how this idea manifests itself is the assumption I used to routinely make that because a group of folks is talking animatedly, shaking hands, hugging, laughing and having a good time . . . that they know each other well and I would be seen as "butting in". I did this a lot in the early days of this group and was always surprised to learn that many of them had also just met, and when I "butted in" I was immediately in the glow. Yes, I caught on slowly . . . but I'm MUCH better now! I'm also very socially shy in new situations (though most who know me through this group would be shocked to hear it) but this group helped me to shed some of my "assumptions" and just jump in. Maybe it's a being raised on the Best-Coast sort of thing that makes this easier, but I also have to say that I learned a LOT about this way to go through life from Gleno. For those who remember the incredible outpouring of grief here on this Board at the news of losing him--even from those who had never met him or had only met him once--he was one of the best Ambassadors for this group I have ever seen. I have tried to emulate his "Bring it! Let's moto!" attitude to life, but it is a constant challenge for me--it was like breathing air to Gleno.

It never comes naturally, but I believe this group tries to go out of its way to be welcoming to everyone, but each of us is in a different place with getting out of our own shells and living that goal. Personalities all differ and chemistry can be fickle but I would just suggest that everyone just jump on in and we all can promise not to bite--too hard! You never know, you might just meet your next best friend! As welcoming and as friendly as Gleno was, I still remember him once bemoaning how big the board had gotten, how he didn't know everyone anymore and how it'd be nice to maybe close the membership at some manageable number so it didn't get too impersonal. I laughed and reminded him that Leslie and I were two of those newbies who he never would have met under that plan. I enjoyed watching the thoughts playing across his face as that idea set in--I think he even stepped it up another notch for the newbies after that! I have met some of the most wonderful people here who, while I consider them "close friends", are also relatively new to the board. People see us greeting each other at a gathering and simply assume we've known each other for years--sometimes yes, but frequently not. I also find that the on-line part of this community helps to break the ice for the first meeting and yes, nametags and the first night gathering pizza party help in that quite a lot! Then we can "flesh out" the personalities afterwards strengthening the relationships. I met a bunch of newbies on the way to last year's UnRally that if you saw us all together, you'd think we'd known each other for years. It's one of the great things about this place: if you just jump on in, you'll find the water's fine and you might also find some really awesome folks who get the whole "riding thing" and you don't have to explain yourself!

For a good intro to what I mean, check out Russell's excellent post about his first gathering here.

Thanks Jamie, I've been around for a long time but I am not very social by nature. I hadn't met many of you before but I want to comment: I was constantly greeted, welcomed, invited, talked to, included, etc at JD. Mostly I enjoy sitting with a book when I can get away as I do people for a living. I love putting faces with names and had many opportunities to do that at the fairgrounds. I was sitting in my chair reading Tuesday evening when Leslie came over and gave me a big hug. That was a terrific moment and demonstrated what makes BMWST such a great place. I hadn't seen Leslie for a number of years "CODY I THINK" but her warm greeting and welcome back was great. As I pulled up earlier Tuesday several of the Canadian contingent were greeting me before I could even get my helmet off. I have stayed in motels mostly over the years and when I do that people don't have much opportunity to be welcoming. Jamie is right on about the appearance of cliques not being what they seem. The last time I saw Gleno was Pahrump NV as I was packing to head home with temps in the teens. he came up to me and said "I think I know you, who are you?" I for one wish I did that to meet others better. I will remember that next time and push myself to reach out more.

bakerzdosen

Well, since no one else brought it up... Obviously my biggest complaint was timing. If the event is scheduled within two weeks of my wife delivering twins, I'm just not going to be able to make it. :dopeslap:

Well, since no one else brought it up... Obviously my biggest complaint was timing. If the event is scheduled within two weeks of my wife delivering twins, I'm just not going to be able to make it. :dopeslap:

Attending an unrally requires considerable foresight and planning for the participants!

You should have known better!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Attending an unrally requires considerable foresight and planning for the participants!

You should have known better!!!!!!!!! :grin:

BINGO!!!

You have NO excuses for next year.

If you're not there, I'll hunt you down, & threaten you with some sort of psychological violence.

Either that, or you may be the next RoadPhil. :/

Jamie.... well stated! I believe that most members look forward to each get together and the opportunity to meet someone new. After every event, I know that both Richard and I always say "glad we met so and so, but so and so was also there and we didn't meet them. How did we let that happen!"

Jamie.... well stated! I believe that most members look forward to each get together and the opportunity to meet someone new. After every event, I know that both Richard and I always say "glad we met so and so, but so and so was also there and we didn't meet them. How did we let that happen!"

Hey!!! Who you callin' so & so? :grin:

bakerzdosen
BINGO!!!

You have NO excuses for next year.

If you're not there, I'll hunt you down, & threaten you with some sort of psychological violence.

Either that, or you may be the next RoadPhil. :/

Wait, what was that sound??? Was that you volunteering to be RoadMatt next year?

Wait, that would leave me with the kids.... nevermind. A week alone with the twins would definitely surpass any psychological threat you could throw my way..

Couple of random thoughts -

Maybe a pre-scouting of the available hotels? "American such and such is bargain basement", "Quality whatever" is upscale, new", etc. It seems every year at least one hotel is a flee bag and should/could be on an 'avoid' list.

I liked the Friday morning breakfast, gave people one last time to connect. But maybe at a fixed specific time instead of a wide time window, to get everyone there together like the evening meal? And also it seems like $50 per person needs to include both to be a good value.

If there had been a stack of the predefined printed routes instead of just one copy to look at, that might have been more helpful.

It seems every year at least one hotel is a flee bag and should/could be on an 'avoid' list.

I agree I would flea that one at all coasts. :grin:

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I liked the Friday morning breakfast, gave people one last time to connect. But maybe at a fixed specific time instead of a wide time window, to get everyone there together like the evening meal? And also it seems like $50 per person needs to include both to be a good value.

The $50 did include both meals...if you knew that and are making a different point, please clarify.

BeniciaRT_GT

Hey!!! Who you callin' so & so? :grin:

Trust me on this one Danny,

You don't fall into either of those "so & so" groups...

I hadn't met anyone face to face last year until the Pied Pipers stopped here. What a great time Nancy and I had getting to know everyone (Cool Jamie even gave her first aid when she tried to slice off the end of her finger slicing onions.)

At the UN in WV, there were folks there that I wanted to meet but there wasn't enough time.

But I also can understand how a new participant may feel somewhat excluded, in spite of the best attempts of the "old timers".

Since I'm not shy, I just introduced myself to everyone. But others are more reserved and might not feel comfortable doing that.

I do assure you that old or new, you will have a great time at an UN and I'm looking forward to next years (Cody or Arkansas, either would be great for me!)

While not what you would call an extrovert, I had a distinct advantage.

I was with Miss Congeniality, 2bmwfan, aka Jamie.

If you don't meet people when you're with her, you must have leprosy. :grin:

The $50 did include both meals...if you knew that and are making a different point, please clarify.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I know the $50 covered both. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that due to the low turn out, maybe the last day breakfast wasn't such a good idea after all. My (poorly made!) point was that two meals, the dinner and breakfast made the $50 a better value that if the breakfast is dropped in the future. (Unless the total price also went down of course.)

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Ahhh, got it Ken. Briefly, I considered allowing people to opt in for breakfast, but decided against it for caterer planning purposes (I had to give them some idea of how many to expect). Money collection at the venue was something I didn't want to deal with either.

In addition, because the Fairgrounds organized catering for us, we were exempted from signing legal documents and/or posting a bond or showing insurance coverage. Really, we're not a bona fide organization, we're a large group of good friends. The only thing I did sign was a Letter of Intent and that didn't have any recourse against me personally, or the site.

So, seeing as how the Fairgrounds weren't getting funds for anything else and probably only had 20 tents, if that many, they had to be barely breaking even. So my requesting the two meals offset the legal paperwork they would have preferred.

This is more info than you originally requested but I want to share the process with everybody.

Archived