IGNORED

F800ST + valve adjustment + service intervals

wolcott

1)Can anyone tell me the service intervals for an '07 F800ST?

2)Is the valve setup shim-under-bucket (where I think cams must be removed) or are they shim-over bucket?

3)If you pulled the tupperware and rode bike to dealer how many hours for labor would be involved for a valve adjustment? I am thinking it would be expensive. If they checked them and they were still in spec, probably not too bad; but if they had to actually take out the shims and come up with a new combo for each valve...

Firefight911

Service intervals are every 6000 miles.

Here is a great link for all bikes to grab the service sheets, etc. - LINKY

That being said, it does not necessarily mean that you will need to adjust said valves at that time. BMW has incorporated a "countdown timer" that is read through the BMW computer hook up. I have heard that BMW is now recommending a 12k check and adjust, if necessary regardless of the computer recommendation.

At each service interval the tech plugs the bike into the shop service computer and the computer reads a digital history of how the motorcycle has been ridden. If the engine has spent a lot of its time at higher rpms, the computer recommends a valve clearance check sooner, if the engine has spent more time in a lower rpm range, the computer suggests a longer period between valve checks.

What does this mean? I'd check them at 6k, 12k, and then every 12k after that as long as the 12k showed no appreciable change form the 6k.

The F8 is an overhead cam with cam followers. They are shim type. Here's a great set of cutaways to look at.

LINKY

As for expense, you are correct, it will be considerably more to make an adjustment vs just a check. The cams come out for adjustment. My bet is that there will be very little adjusting of these motors, if at all.

Tupperware is off in 15 minutes so I don't anticipate any advantage to removing it prior to the service.

At each service interval the tech plugs the bike into the shop service computer and the computer reads a digital history of how the motorcycle has been ridden.

I'm really attracted to the F800ST but in my case the bike would never see a dealer's shop after purchase. I assume that I could just do valve checks at regular intervals and so not need the computer's recommendation (sounds like BMW is beginning to figure that out too), but are there any implications with respect to warranty coverage? And are they any obnoxious 'service due' indicator lights that an owner can't extinguish?

Firefight911

No idiot light and they can not disallow the warranty for doing your own maintenance.

I do all of Jamie's F8 maintenance and I anticipate no issues. Just keep a log book fo what you've done along with any receipts for material and you'll be fine.

At each service interval the tech plugs the bike into the shop service computer and the computer reads a digital history of how the motorcycle has been ridden.

I'm really attracted to the F800ST but in my case the bike would never see a dealer's shop after purchase. I assume that I could just do valve checks at regular intervals and so not need the computer's recommendation (sounds like BMW is beginning to figure that out too), but are there any implications with respect to warranty coverage? And are they any obnoxious 'service due' indicator lights that an owner can't extinguish?

You do need to take the bike to a dealer, now and then, as there have been frequent updates for the electronic control module's firmware to fix certain glitches as well as recalls. One recall also is for the key ring and another is hoses related to a computer update for engine cutouts. Ask me how I know; I own an F800S over a year now.

too old to care

You do need to take the bike to a dealer, now and then, as there have been frequent updates for the electronic control module's firmware to fix certain glitches as well as recalls. One recall also is for the key ring and another is hoses related to a computer update for engine cutouts. Ask me how I know; I own an F800S over a year now.

I agree, I also own a F800S. I like the bike a lot, but I have had some recall issues including the immobilizer ring. I do not think that I want to also remove all the body hardware to adjust the valves or replace the plugs either, so back to the dealer it will go for that service. Oil and filters are a snap, much easier than on an old airhead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really attracted to the F800ST but in my case the bike would never see a dealer's shop after purchase. (snip)

Smiller, how would you handle the electronic aspects after purchase? I have an F800ST and am having a little buyer's remorse because of this. I've had a K75 for 5 years and don't plan for it to see a dealer....with the valuable input from boards like this. The F is far and away a better bike for me, but the service aspects have me concerned. I don't like feeling so dependent on the dealer. Dave

Smiller, how would you handle the electronic aspects after purchase?

Well that's a concern of mine. I don't mind taking the bike in on rare occasions for a firmware update or a recall issue, but if I can't self-service the bike (and I mean completely, not just PM) then that's a non-starter for me. I'm hoping that a product such as the GS-911 will make near total self-maintenance possible, but right now it is a 'read only' device (can read fault codes but cannot command the bike into service modes) and unless that capability is expanded I fear that BMW is rapidly progressing towards mandatory dealer service (and to be fair they're not the only one.) I may be riding a 1990's bike for a long time... :(

I'm really tempted by the 800ST though and am following reports of owner maintenance experiences closely.

I have heard that BMW is now recommending a 12k check and adjust, if necessary regardless of the computer recommendation.

What a surprise. :smirk: So I suppose that this is true for the 1200GT as well... that will be fun every 12k or so...

Am I the only one really bothered by this stuff?

Firefight911

Am I the only one really bothered by this stuff?

It really doesn't bother me. In the end, a motor is a motor is a motor. Yeah, there are a lot of electronic "things" but it's not really a hindrance, to me, to service in spite of their presence.

I'll be acquiring a GS-911 soon so I can download the codes, etc. and have a phenomenal dealer in my area that is a great resource just in case.

The access to the F8 motor is certainly a lot less an issue than the KGT for sure. That helps!

Paul Mihalka

'08 BMW motorcycle service intervals and notification on the instrument: At the first service the current mileage and date is entered into the "brain". The notification will show after one year or if you reach a certain mileage point before the year is up. That mileage point is 6.000 for R bikes, 12.000 for F and G bikes, and 18.000 for K bikes. At the service the mileage and date is reset. Fully self-service guys and gals? You'll have to work it out... :/

Sounds to me like that little service indicator light could be fixed with a carefully placed piece of electrical tape.

I wonder if the dealership has the ability to disable the service notification via software? It would be a cold day in hell that I would take my bike back to the dealer 3-4 times a year in order to have an idiot light reset. BMW cars have also had these service lights since the mid '80s, but there are plenty of tricks and aftermarket tools to reset them yourself. Lets hope that the aftermarket motorcycle market comes up with something similar.

The notification will show after one year or if you reach a certain mileage point before the year is up.

Thank God. There's no way I could manage that myself... :smirk:

The notification will show after one year or if you reach a certain mileage point before the year is up.

Thank God. There's no way I could manage that myself... :smirk:

Yeah....and think of all the room I could save in my glove box if I didn't have to carry my trusty maintenance log book. Oh yeah, thats right......I'd carry it anyway.

On the upside, maybe a few people will listen to the idiot lights and there will be a few more decent (un-neglected) used bikes out there for people like me :grin:

snip... I fear that BMW is rapidly progressing towards mandatory dealer service (and to be fair they're not the only one.) I may be riding a 1990's bike for a long time... :(

I'm really tempted by the 800ST though and am following reports of owner maintenance experiences closely.

I'm not saying I could fix everything on the K75, but I do think I can do enough preventive things to get out and back. And there's a decent probability that things that do break on the road can be fixed by non-BMW providers. Don't feel that way about the F - or other new bikes, eg, I had the EWS failure without warning.

That said, I don't hold my cars to this standard and that's what my ridin' buddies throw back at me. My bikes are 99% for leisure and I confess I enjoy a little bit of wrenching as a leisure past time.

Side story - I was by myself on the K75 on a trip to the Grand Canyon and met two Germans on rented H-D's at the last gas stop east of the Park. First question they had - are you by yourself? Answer - yes. Second question - what are you going to do when the "BMV" breaks down? We had a good laugh.

I am optimistic that the early hour failures have been worked out of the bike and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to ride and not have something that can be wrenched. You can tell by all the other posts that it is performance-wise a pretty good bike.

Archived