IGNORED

UNTales, UNLies, and UNFun - Pt.4 - The Home rUN

Twisties

Sadly, the Unrally drew to a close, and after the last goodbyes, we began to roll. Of course then we had to stop before we even made it out of the parking lot and dig out the laptop to download the route into the Zumo...... ?????? No problemo. We were in no particular hurry and there was shade. 10 minutes later we were on the road for real, and rolling out of JD. It was Friday morning, the sun was shining, and it was hard to stay sad.

Sharon led the way. She had come up with a route that would take us through central ID and over towards Bear Lake, then south into SLC the back way.

We rode back across US 26 and ID 7 to Baker, and back through Halfway on the southern tip of Hell's Canyon. Then struck out into new territory as we worked north to Oxbow, then south to Cambridge, then north to Meadows, and finally back south again to Cascade, where we managed to find a room after a few trials and tribulations. A pro bass fishing tournament was in town, and 750 HD were expected the next day. I think there was another event as well. The going was slow from Meadows on.

The room was fine, but the bass guys didn't seem to want to chat. A guy on an HD said hello in the morning. We talked about the frost on our seats. Bullett and I pulled out of town and continued south to Banks. Then we turned west to the Sawtooths. The traffic kept the pace in check, but we did manage to get in a few turns with touch of spirit.

The view started getting good.

There were brilliant green meadows with swath's intense purple blue penstemons:

331255036_ttjhv-O.jpg

331248363_CSkkg-O.jpg

331248397_tGbc8-O.jpg

Soon we began to catch views of the Sawtooths:

331248608_99qck-O.jpg

331248919_GsPb6-O.jpg

331248759_UavSj-O.jpg

I already posted this 4 shot stitch panorama in Monday's S*** over in Ride Tales, but a little repetition never hurts:

331275399_Su6bV-O.jpg

Link to 2000 pixel wide version, scroll across.

We had lunch in Stanley, and then set back out. Traffic was heavy and we made poor time. By the time we reached Hailey it was hot. We were supposed to turn east and run along Craters of the Moon, an area I've always wanted to see, but it looked hot that way. As Jean had put it earlier, we were smelling the barn. Of course, at any point on this journey we were always within a day of home. Now we were but three hours by interstate. We bailed out of our route and ran on down to I-84, and then I-15. Pulled in at home just as dusk was giving way, around 9:00.

It was a great trip, and a great time. Yes we were sad it was over, but it was nice to be to be home and in our own place again too.

I can not say enough about how much we enjoyed the John Day area for it's riding, scenery, climate, isolation and accommodations. Great choice of venue. This was a place with a unique blend of adequate services, and plenty of space.

I can not say enough about how much we enjoyed getting to spend some time with some of you. I only wish I'd had a chance to talk some with doc, hANNAbONE, John (bmwdude), Paul, Heck and others that we just brushed up against briefly here and there. I look forward to meeting some of the others I never met at all in the future.

Looking back over these tales I see a few omissions:

A great time talking cameras and photography with Russell.

If I hadn't said before, how much we enjoyed riding in with Dave and Jean. Really feel like we found some friends in you two.

Getting to know Micheal (Sagerider) a little better.

Danny (that says everything, but I guess maybe you had to be there).

Seeing Ron_B again.

As always with BMWST gatherings, it was an amazing crossing of paths, a coming together of people in time, place and spirit that defies any reasonable expectations.

I could go on. I'll spare you.

Next time then,

Jan

Dudes! Awesome 'Tales and drop-dead gorgeous pics, both of you! :grin:

Thanks for bringing your charm, wit, sense of adventure and eyes for beauty and composition along for the ride! We are all enriched by your sharing! I never think about stopping to take pics . . . I think I've got a dozen or so from the whole week and most are dupes to make sure I got a good expression on all the faces. It's so nice to see close ups of all those BEAUTIFUL flowers we enjoy as they go flying by, too! :grin:

Next UnRally . . . it's all about the Pied Piper, BABY!! We'll try to scare up even more company for you next time! :)

Pied Piper rocks!

Jan flys through the country side like a breeze, my GT has some extra slack in the driveline now just trying to keep him in view on the long straights seperating us.

Just when you think, that is it, he is gone, there he is stopped and camera out taking pictures, I flew by him once before I caught onto the flow!

Friends indeed, Jan and Sharon, we will meet you on the pied piper places/times unknown!

Another great post Jan... Most interesting to know we took almost the same routes, with one exception... when you got to the Sawtooths, we were on the other side looking back at you.

I'll have to check my photos to see if you are there.

We joined paths again at Stanley. We were just a few hours ahead of you on that Friday, and had the same experience. Hot by the time we got to Hailey, and I-84/I15 made too much sense to ignore. Your arrival was about 3 hours behind ours. Of course you made it in one day and we took 3.

Good job.

Danny (that says everything, but I guess maybe you had to be there).

And thanks to your oh so eloquent descriptions, pretty much every one in the world WAS there. :/

Good to meet you, & Sharon too, Jan.

:wave:

Archived