IGNORED

UNTales, UNLies, and UNFun - Pt.2 - UNto JD Cont'd

Twisties

Link to Pt.1

We headed out from Orofino to Hell's Canyon the morning of the 7th, Monday. Destination JD. We followed the river, the Clearwater if I recall, to the Snake and into Lewiston/Clarkston. It was a winding route of sweepers along the cool green banks. We saw a Great Blue Heron fishing the marshes.

After a short pit stop, we started south out of town on WA 129, which soon became OR 3. It was a great twisty climb up onto the mesa. Then farming country, until we came to the Rattlesnake Grade. What a ride!

331252071_8FsKm-O.jpg

331252317_zWb4P-O.jpg

331252522_ny5i4-O.jpg

We had great mexican food in Enterprise, then moto'd through Joseph. A brief unintentional detour through Wallowa Lakes, and finally on to the Hell's Canyon Overlook

There were hints of lushness in the open forests:

331251940_VrMkR-O.jpg

The overlook was nicely appointed:

331252646_5hs73-O.jpg

The bikes were enjoying the sunshine and each other's company:

331252696_jQHmm-O.jpg

But you all know me, I just wanted to look at the flowers:

I think this is a Sego Lily.

331252798_hNmfj-O.jpg

331252859_2EAvw-O.jpg

This one has flowers within flowers.

331252896_kMtfQ-O.jpg

A Penstemon.

331252925_4YVj3-O.jpg

331253060_X6u3Z-O.jpg

331252969_ArGew-O.jpg

331253028_ajYN4-O.jpg

Indian Paintbrush

331253101_Bysx8-O.jpg

I think everyone thought I ought to hurry up. But they didn't seem too upset when I made it round to their shady picnic table.

331253133_TJkXh-O.jpg

I caught a couple of more flowers on the way out:

These were big.

331253227_yZAw7-O.jpg

These were very tiny.

331253299_wMJ2d-O.jpg

The run through the Hells Canyon Overlook area to Halfway was tight and twisty, with blind curves, switchbacks, gravel, and brush overgrown into the roadway; in short, it was great! A technical ride that seemed to go on forever, through lush mountain valleys, with streams and ponds to the heart's delight. No leo's live here. That's for sure.

Then we emerged into high desert for the hot blustery run to Baker. Still some twisties, now of the sweeper variety, but not quite so enticing to the eye.

Finally, after gas in Baker, the final run on OR 7 and 26 into JD. Another high open forest, with twisty roads and long views through the trees. I was watching for wild turkeys, but didn't see any.

We made JD about 5 pm, and though it was only Monday night, the party was already in full swing:

331253441_uZPAE-O.jpg

More later....

Jan

The run through the Hells Canyon Overlook area to Halfway was tight and twisty, with blind curves, switchbacks, gravel, and brush overgrown into the roadway; in short, it was great!

You did it in daylight? Pansies!

I've ridden that road twice:

#1) After one rider had a mechanical issue on day 1, we detoured on day 2 to rendezvous with him and busted tail to make our hotel in Joseph. On the way into Hell's Canyon park, a raven attacked my bike and knocked my mirror off. It was dark by the time we hit the road to the overlook, and then on the way out we found the road into Joseph had just been chip sealed and was fresh loose rock chips.... At least we were already going slow because there were 10 million deer. Let me tell you just how dark that road gets at night... HID spotlights were powerless against its light sucking prowess.

That rattlesnake grade is a hoot- we weren't expecting it, so it was a lovely surprise.

#2) Me and MrsFugu were headed to Seattle via Joseph, so I could finally see that overlook (since it was dark on the trip above, we didn't go down to it). This was May of this year - well, we hit the top of the hill and found that even though there was no snow at our house at 5000 feet, there was a lot of snow at the top of that 5000 foot hill....

I paddled the RT through about 100 feet of snow, we got around the next corner and there was a huge field of it. Had to turn back and detour around.

I still haven't seen that damn overlook. You take a picture looking over?

Fightingpiper

Here is the nice view we got on Tuesday when we arrived at the top of the overlook.....

332587553_RPuCo-M.jpg

Oh and this view wasn't too shabby either.

332590038_MdZGW-M.jpg

332590167_LgD9e-M.jpg

There's my Indian Paint Brush!! Love that one! :clap:

Thanks for showing it to me. I would have missed it!

Jan

This is a picture of the overlook, think we could see Kansas, it sucked the lens out of the camera.

That was funny about the deer and already being slow! :)

overlook.jpg

Hi Donna,

Glad you made it to the UN. I'm going to have to find that spiral road you mentioned.

Jan

Archived