IGNORED

Questions for R12RT owners

David_S

First let me state that this post is not intended to be a list of complaints about the new RT and I don't want it to turn into one. I have a couple of issues on mine that I'm curious if anyone else has or has had and have had them resolved. The riding season here is short and I'm hesitant to take the bike to the dealer and leave it since the issues don't prevent me from riding it and I have a hunch they may take the dealer a while to verify and repair.

First off the bike back fires through the exhaust on deceleration. This is pretty easy to verify as it happens all the time. It's not a loud backfire just a putt putt putt like I've had with some after market exhausts. Not a biggie but irritating.

Next the bike has stalled twice. Both times approximately a mile after a cold start when pulling in the clutch to down shift. Could be dangerous but it has only happened twice in more than 2k miles so unless BMW has some input it will pretty much be impossible to verify.

I guess I'm hoping someone has had these issues and they have been repaired so I'll know what to expect.

Well, mine has a soft "backfire" or put/put sound on decel in a low gear but I just thought this is normal on a twin - you should hear my Harley. Doesn't bother me so unless one of the experts suggests it's a problem I would just learn to enjoy it. I rather like the sound, it make the engine sound a little thoaty.

David

I too was concerned about the popping on engine braking and told my dealer at the first service. Apparently, it is due to the very lean mixture used to comply with US emmission controls. Now I know it is a characteristic of the bike, I can forget about it.

The other problem I have not seen.

Dick

David:

Mine does the backfire thing during decel. Sometimes it is louder than others, but doesn't really bother me too much. Most of the time I wear ear plugs and can't hear it. There was a post somewhere here or ??? that talks about a software change to fix this problem.

As for stalling, nope can't say that it does that.

Thanks for the replies on the back fire. I also wear ear plugs and it's not a bother but the 12GS didn't do it so I thought it may be an issue.

There was a post somewhere here or ??? that talks about a software change to fix this problem.

I think that one was backfiring during normal driving not just on decel.

One other thing I forgot was a lot of the time I'll have my trip 1 on the display and it'll switch back to the odometer after a restart. Once again not a big deal just wondering if it's one of those TADT things.

pigtrotters

I'm in the land downunder, so I guess I'm riding upside down to you, and that might make a difference. No backfire and no engine cut out. The trip meter does go back to the milage though. I assumed this was normal.

I thought my trip counter switches back to the overall odometer reading upon startup but then goes to Trip1 or Trip2 whichever I had it on. I'll have to check for sure tonight when I get home.

My trip meter always reverts to current mileage when the ignition is turned off . When restarted , I have to press the trip meter button to get it to display.

Steve

My bike does have a soft backfire when slowing and downshifting. NO stalling and the backfire doesn't really bother me.

David,

The odometer, on my 12RT, has just rolled past 600 miles and no stalling or back-fire. I wear ear plugs so if the back-fire occurs it may be un-noticed.

Stevo

BereIsland

Untill you mentioned the back fireing I had heard nothing, but riding to work I did here something, seems nothing to worry about , no stalling though.

Steve

Light popping during decel on my 12st as well. It's pretty normal with FI bikes. They can and do run lean under low throttle(decel) and higher RPMs. It's all in their FI mapping. You can use a PC-III to richen up this part of the map and eliminate the popping, but why bother. Under decel conditions nothing is getting hurt by running lean, so why waste the fuel.

With stock exhaust it's usually very quiet popping. After market exhaust leans things up a bit more, and does nothing to muffle the pops, so it's heard even louder.

Also experienced excessive backfiring on deceleration before the 600 mile checkup (done at 994 mi). At service time I mentioned the existence of a software patch (as discussed in this forum) but they did not locate one; supposedly it was refered to the regional BMW rep for further action.

During 600 mile service they adjusted at least one valve and tightened the throttle control cables; these were too loose thereby making it very difficult to accurately control engine speed from idle up and again down to idle speed.

Bike now runs very smooth and only on occasion do I hear any backfiring on deceleration. smile.gif

Like many of the others have said, I hear a soft backfire/backpressure sound from my new '05 RT when decelerating in 1st or 2nd gear. My '96 RT made the exact same sound in the exact same way; I've grown used to it and don't fret about it.

The only time my '05 has stalled is when I (accidentally) tried to start off in 2nd gear... DOH!!! dopeslap.gif

I've had neither.. Bike does start hard when cold (under 35f), but a slight twist of the throttle takes care of that (they are working on the issue). I had the same issue on the 12GS, but a software upgrade seemed to fix it before I got ridd of the GS for the RT..

Craig

David,

Yep. I've had both. Gentle backfiring - doesn't worry me I have to say.

Twice the bike has stopped when changing gear downwards. Once in the outside lane of dual carriageway! On both occasions the bike had been running for some time and was good and warm. BUT it hasn't happened for the last 400 miles (both occasions were in its first 200 miles) so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it was some bizarre running in issue. The bike had its 600 mile service today and there were no recorded faults. So if it is an issue, its going to be v. difficult to trace.

Paul

Over the course of the past few weeks I monitored the forum to see how the members were perceiving the new R1200RT; I was very happy with my 1150RT, but wanted a few of the new "improvements" that the 1200RT offered. Sold my bike last week and just in time my dealer received the new RT in red so I could see more than just a photo-rendition of it. It looked much better in person and I knew I was hooked. Took it home the next day and over the "4th" weekend I was able to put a few miles on it.

Right from the start I noticed the slight "backfiring" now described as "afterfiring" and would have been stressed over it, but was able to go to the archives and see that it may improve due to the suggestions of the members. Thanks for making so much information available to many of us who are newer to the sport. It has already served as a repository of good information.

My trip meter always reverts to current mileage when the ignition is turned off . When restarted , I have to press the trip meter button to get it to display.

Steve

Just checked mine. When I turn on the ignition it displays the overall odometer reading and after I start the bike it reverts back to either Trip1 or Trip2 (wherever I had it when I last turned it off). Don't know if this is a NA feature or not?!?!

Well it seems the backfire/popping is normal for a lot of people so I won't worry about that. Maybe mention it the next time I'm at the dealer. The stalling is so intermittent that it would be next to impossible to verify so I'll probably just mention that also and I would imaging if it becomes a problem with a lot of bikes there will be a fix sooner or later. I'm thinking the odometer is an issue (not one to keep me from riding that's for sure) because they don't seem to be all the same. Mine will operate normally (what ever normal is) and return to the last setting, usually trip 1 but sometimes it will revert back to the odometer even though it was set to trip1. This bike is too much fun to ride to let a little thing like that bother me. I just wanted to see if I was the only one that was experiencing these issues or see if they were even issues or normal for the vehicle. Thanks for everyones replies.

No backfires. Only problem I have is that the oil sensor indicator of the on-board computer of the R1200RT says to check the oil (you get a <!> on the readout instead of an OK checkmark) when, upon stopping and putting the bike on the center stand, the oil level is still above halfway in the sight glass. Disconcerting the first couple of times it happened. Now I pay no attention to it---the 'Cry "Wolf!" too often' syndrome, I guess. But BMW sez in the owner's manual that one should have the BMW tech replace something if this happens... so maybe they know something could occasionally be out of kilter. Everything else on this bike runs GREAT! Love the gas mileage--52 mpg average! clap.gif

David

The popping is on my RT but it came in after the software upgrade (mines an early model) which cured a tendency to keep the revs up when cold. This is probably why there is no upgrade for you as the popping appears to be part of the changes.

For the others the trip display takes 2secs after the CHECK goes out on my bike before it changes to the last set of settings it had. If you start the bike before the change it stays at Odometer/Distance to go. Check yours to see if its the same as that.

Regards

I started a thread on this topic a while back. I got tons of greatly appreciated advice from those on this forum with far more experience/knowledge than me. One or two of them suggested looking where my dealer's service department has ended up for now. Here's an update. I've taken my bike in 3 times now for this "problem." I define it as a problem (i.e. not normal), among other reasons, because there are R1200RT owners out there who are NOT experiencing this problem, because I've owned numerous bikes (across 4 mfgrs) over several decades and have never had this problem on any of those bikes, and because the dealer completely agrees it is a problem and not normal. Here's what the dealer has done in order: 1) "reset the codes," (result: didn't seem to help much at all) 2) received and installed a software download from BMW (result: reduced the occurrence of the problem from every deceleration to every 4th or 5th deceleration), 3) tuned "out of sync" throttle bodies (result: only picked it up yesterday, but had NO backfiring/popping on the first ride ~30 miles). I'll post another update if the problem reoccurs on the longer ride I plan to take this week, but each of the other times it was clear in the first ride home that the problem hadn't been resolved. I checked the mileage this time to make sure the dealer was actually doing a test drive... result: less than 2 miles logged.

Thanks for the timely update on the "popping". Looking forward to hearing if it is solved, especially as it may be as simple a solution as out of sync throttle bodies. When I called my dealer yesterday, they said they had not noticed it on a test ride and perhaps it was the way I rode the bike. NOT a good answer!! Let us hear from you again after the next longer ride.

I'm telling you guys, the popping is normal, and I bet they all do it. Every Fuel Injected bike I've owned does it. Riding style and ability to hear it over the wind is why some hear it and others don't.

To replicate the popping: 2nd gear, take it to 5k rpms. Back off the throttle, then add approx 1-2% throttle. Feel around with the throttle. You'll find the max popping point pretty easy.

If you have a passenger they will surely hear it. It's pretty subtle with the stock exhaust. You should hear it with the Remus I just installed. Even with the baffle installed it's VERY noticeable.

I'm willing to maybe accept it on the R12RT because so many of them do it and it's not really an issue but not all fuel injected bikes do it. My Harley's with stock exhaust didn't neither did my 2 K12RS's, LT or 12GS

I'm telling you guys, the popping is normal, and I bet they all do it. Every Fuel Injected bike I've owned does it. Riding style and ability to hear it over the wind is why some hear it and others don't.

To replicate the popping: 2nd gear, take it to 5k rpms. Back off the throttle, then add approx 1-2% throttle. Feel around with the throttle. You'll find the max popping point pretty easy.

If you have a passenger they will surely hear it. It's pretty subtle with the stock exhaust. You should hear it with the Remus I just installed. Even with the baffle installed it's VERY noticeable.

I think that popping you are hearing is the new mufflers that the manufacturers are using. If you notice when putting on an aftermarket exhaust, you don't get much HP increase...In other words they are free flowing exhausts...These cause popping as you are saying. It's just telling you that it has higher performance equipment on it. My 12GS does the same thing, but with the 110HP RT it's probably more pronounced. What type of gas do you put in it? Octane 89, 90, 92? this may cause it to expell the exhaust a little differently too!

As far as the shutting off in down shift...That would be a trip to the dealership and hook it up to the diagnostics machine. That to me is unacceptable, and I agree with the dangerous comment! FYI I have never had this on the 12GS

Archived