IGNORED

UNTales, UNLies, and UNFun - Pt.1 - UNto John Day

Twisties

After all the planning, the packing, the pre-trip excitement, things finally began to happen when the Hansons (dhanson, Just Jean) showed up on July 3rd. We ordered in a pizza, mounted my new Bags Connection tank bag, and got to know one another a bit. Morning dawned on the 4th, and after oatmeal and coffee we set out.

Big Cottonwood Canyon was heavily trafficked and we found some kind of event going on at Brighton Ski Resort with a few thousand in attendance. Traffic was less of an issue as we traversed Guardsman Pass into Park City. Soon we were on the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, and shredding a bit of rubber on the pass. We ran on up through Kemmerer, through Big Piney and Daniel. We detoured up WY 352 and ran back out to US 191 on Forty Rod Road. The great views of Square Top started after the pavement ran out, so we skipped those, but had a nice close-up of the Wind River Range.

We got another tire shredding run through the Gros Ventres running along the Hoback River Canyon, and some gorgeous views. We pulled into Jackson in time for a nice nap and a walk around town before dining at Burkes Chop House:

Beef Wellington:

331248997_ftp6x-O.jpg

I think this was Wild Salmon Chipotle

331249309_tKoq7-O.jpg

Here we have the Beef (filet) Stroganoff

331249368_QLW3S-O.jpg

I don't know what happened to the fourth dish. I thought I snapped the pic, but I guess the camera didn't fire.

The waitress snapped our picture. Dave was already looking for bear though. :)

331249546_26QBm-O.jpg

We took in the fireworks from the roof of a parking garage half a block from our motel. I couldn't figure out how to get pics, but I think Jean got some, and maybe Sharon. It was a nice show, but not what I remember from two years ago. I guess that shortage affected displays nationwide.

In the morning the Hansons got their first views of the Tetons (well Dave had been before, but many years ago).

331249661_ryjFF-O.jpg

331249801_3King-O.jpg

331249955_oBfT9-O.jpg

Dave had to stop to consult his bear sighting map :grin: :

331250084_KqaCM-O.jpg

Another Teton shot:

331250141_s4PEX-O.jpg

We moto'd on up to Yellowstone and pulled in at Grant Village for lunch. Then up to West Thumb Geyser Basin. West Thumb was dryer than I have seen it before. Though all the rivers seemed to be near flood, the springs seemed a bit reluctant.

I had to look at the little things:

331250219_XwyhL-O.jpg

Dave scoffed at my flower pictures, he was after bear!

331250277_C96bF-O.jpg

The algae were pretty:

331250401_BTKhh-O.jpg

And the springs form these intricate deposits of minerals:

331250538_RaD8F-O.jpg

331250600_QJV2B-O.jpg

331250738_WaWxQ-O.jpg

The Geysers did not do much while we visited, but that is to be expected at West Thumb:

331250900_JZFpq-O.jpg

Perhaps this shot gives a sense of the eerie landscape. Starkly dry, and barren in places, perhaps due to the heat in the ground, or maybe from salts. Punctuated with areas of lushness, or, as in this case, just a few hanger's on nestled along a surreal outflow. It reminds me of Dali:

331251046_XkUdj-O.jpg

We moved on towards Lake Village. I told the Hansons we'd see Bison near there. You can see that I very carefully kept a tree between me and that one bison :grin: :

331251167_HBqNM-O.jpg

331251365_3SbXU-O.jpg

I told the Hansons the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone was often a good place to see wildlife. We encountered a Bear Jam up on Mt. Washburn on the way. Jean got to jump off and see the bear. Dave had to stay on the bike. We rode on through looking for a place to get off the road. I came back up the other way and managed to get off. Just as I had my gear off, everyone started out of the woods, the bear had moved on.

We pulled out on an overlook on the Grand Canyon, and scanned the valley with the binoculars, but didn't see much. This Mountain Bluebird flitted through though. Only got one chance at him:

331251455_zMG7V-O.jpg

We set out for Mamomoth. Near Tower Falls we saw a bear, a moose and elk, however we could not stop for photos. We made Mammoth in time for the afternoon thunderclouds. The storms were not much more than a bluff though. But made for some dramatic lighting. Mammoth was by far the driest we've ever seen it. Still made some nice pics though:

331251515_xQowq-O.jpg

331251596_JVLGW-O.jpg

331251641_99Sdt-O.jpg

331251738_jLojW-O.jpg

331251788_zWPzq-O.jpg

We rode on to West Yellowstone for the night. The west entrance road was full of bison and elk. The Hansons were planning to to go back to Yellowstone the next day, and we were to go on. Sharon and I thought we had left them perfectly positioned to see the major geyser basins. But when we got to West Yellowstone it seems the Hansons decided to they wanted to move out with us in the morning. A few reservation re-arrangements and all was set. Sharon and I kidded them about how they were going to have to tell their friends that the went to Yellowstone but didn't see Old Faithful.

In the morning we set out north on US 191.

Finally:

331251816_5Jzmm-O.jpg

331251847_7P7bf-O.jpg

Yes, my wildlife photography skills could use some work!

The run over 191 to I-90 was great. A River Runs Through It was filmed in part on this river. Thanks Mike (Fugu) for suggesting this route, it was a highlight of the trip.

We ran over to Lolo Pass, and had a great run. Stayed at the Konkolville Motel in Orofino, ID. Great rooms, great hospitality, great value. Met a lady on a Suzuki Bandit there. Turned out to be Demenshea on the board. Turned out our routes for the next day were similar, so we told her about the UN. She said she might stop in.

I think I'll call it a night. Pt2 tomorrow.

Jan

Jan,

These are really impressive pictures! You really have talent and could consider quiting your day-job. Thanks.

It was great to meet you and Sharon. Hope to see you both again soon.

Rod

The secret is out, now everyone knows what a great leader/tour guide Jan and Sharon are! This guy does it with maps, no GPS, I loved it!

Jean got a little stressed as first thing out we run up the mountain and are looking straight down 2000 feet. Coming from grid lock interstate SLC traffic, the mountain run was a big surprise, loved it!

We have a ton of pictures also, but no flowers, heh heh

Excellent report and loved the pics.

Did you tell Dave that someone did some graffiti on his bike while he wasn't looking.

They stopped by here last year on the Pied Piper run. Good folks. Great sense of humor.

We did finally get Jan revved up to the possibility of a bear sighting.

dsc_0023.jpg

Jean just informed me, we do have flowers.

flowers.jpg

This is the mama bear with cub that only Jean got to see. I had no where to park.

bearjam.jpg

That bear (the first one) had an itchy head, and he promised not to bite!

Keep the photos coming, you have lot's more than that!

Jan

Bison's painted in YellowStome were great!

bison.jpg

bison2.jpg

Running up hwy 191 out of west Yellowstone was a great road!

191.jpg

1912.jpg

1913.jpg

Wildlife minding the rules, do not cross the road!

deer.jpg

The highlight of the YellowStone tour was leaving with Jan and Sharon north on hwy 191, instead of staying one more day! Would have missed our best picture. Early morning, 58 degrees, absolutely beautiful ride.

I stayed on the bike and ready to crank, he was only 65 yards at most! People were up and down the road off into the trees taking pictures.

YS_bear.jpg

Thanks so much for the great pics of the Tetons. I use to work southern Idaho for about 7 years and Jackson was part of my area. I truly love the Tetons and the skiing ain't bad either.

Archived