IGNORED

Advise on a full system

hophead

I ordered a full [Remus]exhaust system complete with the headers for my 2005 R1200ST. I have been told that I need make no other adjustments, no new air filter, no change to the fuel/air delivery system, nada. The parts guy said the BMW system will correct itself. Is this true? Even with just an end can on Japanese bikes I have owned I had to buy a jet kit for a carbureted FZ1 and a power commander for the electronic controle modules. Also, I fully expect a much less low down lumpy fuel delivery and all around better throttle response, drivability. Can I also expect better gas mileage and more torque throughout the rev range? TIA

I would guess it is true. The O2 sensors are so the computer can make corrections(mostly for emissions, but performance as well). I wouldn't expect better throttle response or getting rid of the low-down lumpy, but maybe. The computer should adjust to give you the same response you have now, with hopefully a bit more power. Personally I find my ST to be pretty well mapped.

To take full advantage of the new system, or even stock, nothing compares to a custom map on PC-III or like system.

I'm very interested in swapping out my ST exhaust, but mostly for aesthetic reasons. I dis-like chrome, and the huge can totally covers up the pretty side of the rear-wheel.

Until your post I didn't know anyone had systems for the ST, yet. So please let us know what you think about looks and sound. Which system did you get?

I'm going with a full Remus. I should drop quite a few pounds as well since there will be no cat/converter anymore. I won't have it until next week and won't have it put on until after next weekend as I have to go to Tulsa for my wife's sister's wedding. Maybe I will post a couple of pictures as well then.

Hophead, no adjustments will be required, the mixture seems to be perfect and my ST really runs well clap.gif

The installation is very clean.

23720348-M.jpg

The parts guy said the BMW system will correct itself.
Yes because nothing will need to be corrected, because nothing will improve. The only thing that will change is the noise and emissions will go up.

Thanks for the picture. It looks pretty good, and does expose a bit more of the rear wheel. Is that the Genesis system? In Aluminum? How does it sound? How loud?

Right now I'm thinking the Revolution system in Titanium. I really don't want to make it loud, just lighter and better looking. I can always pull the insert when I'm in a hooligan mood smile.gif

I can now answer my own questions. I just finished installing The Revolution Carbon full system.

Fit/Finish: Fit is very good. Install was pretty simple. Finish is OK. I greatly prefer a titanium header, for looks and weight, but the stainless is better looking than the stock chrome. I think it looks better with out the cross pipe as well. Muffler is significantly smaller, but short of an under-tail or high-mount, most of the wheel is still covered.

I was thinking about the titanium version but decided to try the carbon. I like the looks. I don’t think it stands out too much, and the tri-oval shape goes pretty well with the bike.

Sound: I left the insert in, so it's quiet. Deeper and only mildly louder than stock. The insert is riveted in. Wish it was bolted so I could go back and forth simply. Maybe a later mod.

Weight: I didn't weigh anything, but the muffler is 5-10lbs lighter. Header feels like a break-even, even though you're loosing the cat. Again, I'd prefer Titanium, especial for the price.

Complaint: The Remus logo has two rivets and adhesive, so it’s unlikely I’ll be able to remove it. I dislike logos.

I attached a couple photos.

528740-Remus1.jpg.d40beab1209ce89279c4a09537723cf5.jpg

John, the rivet that holds the insert in has to be drilled out and the insert is threaded so that a small (forgot what size) bolt can hold it in. I put a small dab of anti sieze on the bolt on my R1150R Revolution so it is easy to remove. The Revolution can is designed that way on purpose.

John, your bike looks great.

Thanks. Just went and drilled it out. Like you said, threaded. And, they provided the bolt, and an extra rivet. It didn't look threaded to me, glad you mentioned it.

Haven't riden it yet, but started it up in the garage. Not sure I like the sound, so the insert may go back. It's not as loud as the Akro on my 954, but it's a little raspy for me. We'll see after a test ride.

Thanks again.

The parts guy said the BMW system will correct itself.
Yes because nothing will need to be corrected, because nothing will improve. The only thing that will change is the noise and emissions will go up.

Well...the system will ATTEMPT to correct itself. Like any stock fuel injection system, it has parameters of what it can and cant do. It will enrichen itself as much as it can but you will still get the "aftermarket exhaust" popping on decel. More power? Doubtful, Mileage? Doubtful, Great sound and perceived performance? You betcha! I say buy it and enjoy.

Power Commander makes an inline box that allows one to re-map the fuel injection limits and they are now available for some oilheads. Im sure that in the future they will make them for hexheads as well. That way, you may see a bit of additional power, reduce the popping, and screw up your gas mileage.

Archived