IGNORED

Official UNRally Check-IN

Firefight911

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Rode up the Yakima Canyon before the local authorities had left the donut shops. What's with a 45mph limit on a road engineered for 90?
A few years ago (okay-5?) I got a $145 ticket for 78 in the 45 zone. Apparently they have lots of vehicle/pedestrian/bicyclist accidents, or so the judge told me after he refused to lower the ticket. Dang!
Fightingpiper

I got home Saturday evevining. I did 5056 miles on the trip. Next time I need to spread the trip home out a bit more because I had three long days in the saddle. I left JD on thursday (on pllugged tire)and humped it 779 miles to West Yellowstone (Lolo pass was fantastic). Nothing like setting up a tent in the dark after a long day in the saddle. Next day was a slow 627 miles through yellowstone/beartooth to Rapid City, SD and the final day was 631 miles home to St. Paul.

Edited by Fightingpiper
Draftermike

Arrived home yesterday afternoon. Had a great trip home, what made it so great was being so high from seeing great friends and riding great roads.

Whoo hoo did I have fun!!

Rode up the Yakima Canyon before the local authorities had left the donut shops. What's with a 45mph limit on a road engineered for 90?
A few years ago (okay-5?) I got a $145 ticket for 78 in the 45 zone. Apparently they have lots of vehicle/pedestrian/bicyclist accidents, or so the judge told me after he refused to lower the ticket. Dang!

I had been warned, which was why I was out there before 7:00 am. I didn't go all that fast 'cause I was fascinated by all people out fishin' But I was really peaved about that trooper on WA 17 between the US 2 intersection and the Chief Joseph Dam. Talk about no good reason to be there. Must be a population of about 132 within 250 square miles. And it isn't an easy day trip from any major urban center for people to go out high speed testing sport bikes or cars. But I suppose I should be happy he didn't stop me given my approach speed from one hilltop a distant light in the mirror to the next close enough to read the writing on the side of the car.

Thanks again for all your work, Steve.

Mike Cassidy

We're back in KC, 22 days and 5570 miles later. What a great time! Sure goes fast when you're having fun with friends.

Now on to packing!

Wonderful folks all, but I am now convinced Greg Turk doesn't exist as this is the third time I've been to an event with you there and didn't get to talk about your wonderful name!

I'm sorry I missed you again. I thought I talked to all 100 in attendance :=) I camped under the trees Tuesday night next to New York "Ray" and then moved into a motel room for Weds night. Had a great dinner Weds night and headed home at 4AM Thursday morning. I live in Oak Hills right off the 15 at the top of Cajon Pass. If you are ever passing through give me a call and I'd enjoy buying you a cup of coffee.

Gregg

Had a great ride out to Sisters with EffJay on Friday. Split off at 23 to head north to Detroit Lakes area (fantastic ride) and then up to Portland. I-5 was a parking lot, so I split off on 99 and followed the river into Portland. Saw a few old friends and had a killer dinner at Meriwether's in the Pearl district. Left late morning on Saturday for the long ride home. Very hot (104!) thru Shasta/Redding and very smokey all the way down I-5. Night time brought relief from the heat, but lots of deer out on Hwy 20 from Marysville. Finally got home at 10:00. Total miles door to door: 2300. (I guess we did some serious riding around John Day!!!)

This was my first UN, and a great one it was! Great people and incredible roads! Steve - great job! YOU DA' MAN! :thumbsup:

Hope to see many of you again at Fall Torrey.

PhillyFlash

Monday, July 14, 2008, 11:26 am MST.

Finally home after a 12 day, 4174 mile adventure. Tim, Bob, Craig, and I had some fantastic riding; the highlights included Beartooth Pass (eastbound and westbound), Lolo Pass/Lewis & Clark Highway, The Rattlesnake, and CA 1 from Leggett to the Golden Gate Bridge. That stretch of CA 1 may be the most incredible 170 miles of road that I've ever ridden. Ever! Fires in Big Sur sent us towards Arizona a little early, and we ended up hitting some heavy rain near Barstow Monday afternoon. We got separated, with Craig and I holing up in Barstow, Tim making it to Parker (before even heavier rain made him stop), and Bob spending the night in Havasu. It was all good, though, and all of us were home on Tuesday before noon. No performance awards (although each of had a talking to from various LEO's).

Thanks, Steve and your team, for putting together a great UnRally. Good to see many old friends, and meet some new ones, but I was sorry to not talk to several people that I wanted to meet or see again (Paul Burkett - where were you? I didn't see you around, or I just spaced out).

Highlights of the Un:

- sitting around after dinner Wednesday night, telling jokes and watching videos on YouTube (you had to be there);

- getting up early Thursday morning to hang out with Phil (1bmwfan) and a bunch of yahoos as we waited to see the look on Jamie's face when see first realized that Phil was there and had trailered her bike up from CA through the night;

- leading BrianT, Jamie, Craig, Twisties, Sharon, Mike, and I forget who else (sorry, brain is still a little fuzzy) though the hills northwest of John Day (did Jamie really shout Yahoo!! as she exited a corner at 90 mph? Enquiring minds want to know).

Ride tale and photos to follow.

PhillyFlash
...CA 1 from Leggett to the Golden Gate Bridge. That stretch of CA 1 may be the most incredible 170 miles of road that I've ever ridden. Ever!

Correction - make that 210 miles. I don't want to leave any of those additional 40 miles out, as they were all great. Well, maybe not the stretch from Stinson Beach to the 101 in pitch dark. Narrow road, shear drop-offs to the ocean, no guard rails, deer, very, very challenging at night. But I definitely want to ride that last stretch during the day sometime soon.

Made it home about 8:15 PM CST Monday night.

Found out what that funny noise I thought I was hearing was when I shredded my alternator belt just west of Omaha. Had a new one with me, and Dennis and I had lots of fun installing it on a 90 degree Iowa morning.

Repeat after me:

"An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered"

"An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered"

"An inconvenience is an adventure..."

Oh stuff it, Gil. :dopeslap:

Wow. What a trip.

Banff and Jasper. Wow

British Columbia. Wow.

Hyder Alaska. Wow. (in a funky, eccentric way)

Cascades. Wow.

John Day as choice for Unrally 7. Wow.

Unrally Unorganization. Wow.

Unrally BMWST peoples. Wow+1000

Many thanks to Steve M. You did a terrific job.

Many thanks to Tony and all the people who helped with all the details.

Many thanks to Mike C. for his hospitality at his home in Calgary.

I had a great time!

Unrally 8? IN!

Glad to see everyone made it home ok!!

I want to say what a pleasure it was to meet all of you and I can't thank you enough for taking in a stray!! I have a wonderful time, chatting, drinking, and smiling all at once!

There are too many people to thank for the goodtimes, but Jan, Sharon, Steve and Leslie you are all the BEST.

I am sporting my t-shirt proudly.

My ride to PDX was excellent until i got to 26 at Government Camp and was promptly nearly taken out by the famous left turn. Ahh...Oregon drivers...

Had a wonderful time seeing my kids, grandkids, mother, sister and best pal. After a couple of days visiting, I headed home to pack and get ready to move...long story which many of your heard me whining about.

My round trip ride was 3K and a million smiles. I really ran some amazing roads.

so....once again thanks to all and the pleasure was all mine!

cheers,

donna

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

I arrived home about 30 minutes ago. A brutal 363.8 miles on a vinyl covered 2x6. Anybody want to buy a KTM? (Seriously...oh - Jan??)

Paul Mihalka

I'm home!

Wonderful UN, wonderful people, wonderful roads! Steve and all helpers, THANK YOU!

Perfect trip. No mechanical problems, no tickets, no body pains, no oh-shxt moments, 3 hours of rain in 19 days. It can't get much better than that! At this stage when I do a trip like this I feel like I just received a tremendous present! Ride tale later...

Paul Mihalka
Home in Browning this afternoon in time to see some of the Powwow at Indian Days.

Despite a failing transmission, Marlene took me home. Filling the tranny with a mixture of Amsoil Gear Oil and some sort of STP-like stuff from the nice folks at the Polaris dealership in John Day did the trick.

Couldn't take Lolo Pass. Rt 12 was closed by fire, which was burning right up to the road. One fire-fighting aircraft nearly dumped red fire fire-retardant on us.

Slept in the forest that night and arrived Butte, Montana, for the National Folk Festival on Friday morning.

It was OUTSTANDING!!!! Five Star!

A Quebecois group called Le Vent du Nord was incredible.

It was a kick to see these young Montana cowboys gittin' down with Congolese and Latin music and just having a great time.

There was a group from Texas called the Quebe Sisters. Three absolutely lovely young ladies aged 17, 19, and 22, all of whom are state and national fiddle champions and harmonize like the Andrews Sisters. Their bass player has played with the Duke Ellington Orchestra and their rhythm guitar and arranger guy is super. Incredible to see such talent and professionalism in such young performers.

You Texans take note! Watch out for these girls!

Sagerider quote:

Arrived home after a bit of a scare attempting to leave John Day... The bike would crank but not start.

I had a GS-911 that I had been doing show and tell with all week. Comes down to my bike and all of a sudden I don't believe it. It was reporting a 10167: Output stage to electric fuel pump error.

That reminds me of the old Dragnet TV series. Jack Webb would always say something like, "I'm taking you in on a One-Twenty-Eight."

If anyone knows where I can get a replacement transmission let me know.

Steve, thanks again. YOU DA MAN!

Seems I was lucky. Left Friday 7/11 early morning, rode via LaGrande/Enterprise to the Rattlesnake Grade (what a road!), and then rt. 12/Lolo-Pass into Missoula. No trace of fire. As I got into Missoula at 4.30 where I planed to spend the night, and my rear tire did not look like making it all the way home, I went by Big Sky Kawasaki/BMW and in half an hour I was out with a new Metzeler Tourance on the bike.

PhillyFlash

Paul,

Hoped you liked the route I suggested to you up 39 to Enterprise, the Rattlesnake, Lewis & Clark Highway, and Lolo Pass. I had a blast on all of them. Nice to know that the dealer in Missoula took good, quick care of you. It's good to know which dealers go the extra distance to help riders in need who are passing through.

Paul Mihalka
...3 hours of rain in 19 days...

Evidently, you didn't go through the eastern half of Kansas. :/

I went through the eastern half of Kansas on Monday June 30. It wasn't even windy! :)

I am almost Home!

Sat after I left Bruce H on the Oregon coast I ended up camping at Crater Lake Campground, it was a beautifull area and cold with all that snow up there, the only temp I really liked!

Sunday I road up around Lake Albert and ended up stopping early because of the heat, over 100 deg! I was just west of Boise Idaho. I went to bed early and left the hotel at 3:00 am so I could ride while it was cooler. Road through Yellowstone again, waited for old faithfull,and then continued on through Cody up the Chief Joseph Highway and through the Beartooth pass again. ended up at a motel in Miles City Montana, a long day!

From there sraight down the interstate most of the way. made a stop in Fargo ND to buy a rear tire! Didn't have it installed, I am carrying it with me. Looks like my tire will just make it home. I ended up riding till 10:30 that night and stopped in Duluth MN. Started at 6:00 this morning and have made it to South Baymouth Ont, and am now waiting for the Ferry to Tobermory where I will spend a day with my sister. From there it is just a short 4 hour ride home! So I should be there on Friday afternoon.

So far I have covered just a little over 11,000 km!

Andy.

Almost 600 miles today..........................hummmmm.....saddle sore next?????????????

Way to go Jamie :thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap:

I knew you could do it!!!!

Saddle sore, than a 50cc ...you GO GIRL!

I am now in Mukilteo, WA (just north of Seattle) with my wife. We have a terrific room on the water (literally. If you opened the door and jumped, you'd be in the water of Puget Sound). Tomorrow, we hit Seattle, courtesy of an old work colleague who now toils for Boeing. Should be a fun day.

With the exception of the beautiful pics, I almost enjoy reading the Check-in posts as much! What great stuff!! :)

And Andy, you might be in the running for the most miles traveled over-all! Let's see, RoadPhil only rode from Jacksonville, Florida . . . and Raaaaan! went from Illinois to Alaska on his way to Oregon . . . . Hmmmm, it's going to be close! :grin:

With the exception of the beautiful pics, I almost enjoy reading the Check-in posts as much! What great stuff!! :)

And Andy, you might be in the running for the most miles traveled over-all! Let's see, RoadPhil only rode from Jacksonville, Florida . . . and Raaaaan! went from Illinois to Alaska on his way to Oregon . . . . Hmmmm, it's going to be close! :grin:

Don't forget Eddd!

I'm finally all the way home. Pulled in at 3:00 this afternoon after a quick 1,600 mile/2 day ride ride from Wisconsin. I don't think I'll be close to the longest. My total was just under 7,000 miles. I'm unpacking, doing laundry, and downloading pictures. Look for a ride tale in a day or two.

After I change my oil I'll be ready for the next gathering!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
I didn't know if I'd make it home before the UNRally section was locked and sent to the archives.
That's not likely to happen. We've still got the extra tee shirt thread open for business. Keep the rubber side down.
Firefight911

Quick update on Steve (Steves1150plus50) and his wife Jennifer.

They spent the night with us last night and are back on the road. They are off to Carmel by the Sea for a night and then some more meandering toward home. I'm sure he'll check in once they finally get there.

Well not that anyone's counting, but here's what I've seen mentioned so far:

Andy - ?

Daniel "Huzband" aka "RoadPhil" - ?

Tom "3Putt" & Joyce - ?

Ed G. "Eddd" = "Just under 7000"

Paul M. - ?

Raaaan - ?

Ken & Donna - 5570

Jeffery T. "Fightingpiper" - 5056

We just got home today~Fri 18th. Great trip, experienced Seattle, Oregon{I thought Colorado had great roads, Oregon is even better}, saw Craters of the moon, stayed 3 days in Steamboat Springs, then the dreaded Kansas, Rt 70 back to Buffalo, I think every truck in the US was on that road on Thursday, as far as you could see, there were trucks.

Great time, thanks to Steve for un-organizing.

And Andy, you might be in the running for the most miles traveled over-all!

Marcopolo is still on the road rolling up the miles (Energizer Bunny?) Mark, bet you're glad to be way north of all the smoke!

Andy - ?

Tom "3Putt" & Joyce - ?

Paul M. - ?

Raaaan - ?

Ken & Donna - 5570

Ed and Andy edged me out by a little. My trip was exactly 6,666 miles. (really!)

Finally made it home tonight at 6:00pm!

Total mileage covered was 7123 miles (11464 km)!

Sure is nice to be home and not HAVE to sit on that bike again for a little while.

Steve (and crew) thanks for all the great work UNorganizing!

Sure made a great excuse to go for a long ride!

My rear tire ( Dunlop Roadsmart) managed to make it all the way home! Just starting to get into the wear bars in the center of the tread.

Now I have to switch modes and go to a vintage event next weekend on the Vincent! Ay least it's only a short distance away (100miles). This time the whole family is going so it will take me all week just to get everything ready for that!

Andy.

Paul Mihalka

Andy - ?

Tom "3Putt" & Joyce - ?

Paul M. - ?

Raaaan - ?

Ken & Donna - 5570

Ed and Andy edged me out by a little. My trip was exactly 6,666 miles. (really!)

If we have to count: home to home around 8.700 (s)miles...

And Andy, you might be in the running for the most miles traveled over-all!

Marcopolo is still on the road rolling up the miles (Energizer Bunny?) Mark, bet you're glad to be way north of all the smoke!

You're right, I'm still on the road, and will be for another two weeks. My wife and I dad a great time in Oregon and Washington. Yesterday, we had a terrific ride from Seattle, heading north and then east along Hwy 20 through North Cascades National Park. Scenery was breathtaking. We're now in Penticton B.C. on Okanagan Lake. It's great wine country with beautiful scenery to boot. Don't know how many miles/kms I've done -- been too busy to check.

We crossed the border at Osoyoos and at 2:30 on a Friday afternoon we were the only people there. It took the customs officer a few minutes to realize we were waiting to cross (guess the bike doesn't make enough noise on approach).

Haven't really seen any smoke, Dave. Hope it stays that way.

Just got in about an hour ago after extended stop overs in Portland, OR and Abingdon, VA.

What a great UN! As usual, made new friends and and was able to visit with old ones. Can't wait till next year.

PhillyFlash
So, how did I miss your lanky a$$ at the Un?

I was lucky to run into him while I was walking back from Dairy Queen or someplace on Wednesday night; he was leaving Thursday morning. Glad I saw him, but I know I didn't meet up with all the people who I wanted to see. I think I might have crossed paths with you once or twice, though. :grin:

So, how did I miss your lanky a$$ at the Un?

I think I might have crossed paths with you once or twice, though. :grin:

Ya think?

Glad we did, too. :thumbsup:

Howard you were a day off, I had to leave on Wednesday morning and did not get to attend the dinner on Wednesday. Actually it took a lot of luck that I was there at all.

Danny, I looked for you but you were elusive as ever!

PhillyFlash
Howard you were a day off

I've been more than a day off for awhile now. But yes, it was Tuesday night that I saw you, albeit, much too briefly.

After leaving John Day I went to Lewiston Mt, Glacer National park, yellowstone National park, Gillette, Wy for the MOA Rally and back home. arrive in dallas about 5:00pm Sunday.

Great to see all of you again. Hope to see you next year.

Flyboy52F

Randy is back in Atlanta, and Ryan is back in San Diego. We left Ryan in Gillette he atttended the MOA rally, I had to get back to work, so Cathy, Dustin and myself pushed on back to Atlanta.

awesome time was had, this was my third in a row, and looking forward to making it 4 in row next year.

Back home after 7850 miles I had a fantastic time, Many thanks to Tank and Bruce for the escorted tour of cold and hot water springs and that road that magically rounded off my squaring tires. :grin:

I am glad to have met you Ray and I enjoyed seeing my backyard through your east coast eyes.. whoo hoo, 7850 miles=great tour.

Bty, trailing on your six leaves me the feeling I have much to learn yet, thanks for the lesson.

That's SWEEEEET, Ray! It was great to see you again!

Next time you can return the favor as a little bird tells me the next UnRally will likely be a bit closer to your place than Tanks' next year! :grin:

Back home after 7850 miles I had a fantastic time, Many thanks to Tank and Bruce for the escorted tour of cold and hot water springs and that road that magically rounded off my squaring tires. :grin:

gOOD tO meet cha Ray..! Glad you got home in good shape and hope to see you in the coming months.

Well after 28 days on the road, and about 13,000 kms (8,000+ miles) of riding, I pulled into the garage at about 4:30 today. Had a great ride out to John Day with HandyAndy, a terrific two weeks exploring Oregon, Washington, B.C., and Alberta with my wife, then a solo ride east across Canada to home. The Rockies were outstanding, particularly Lake Louise and Jasper and the Icefields parkway between the two. I think mt butt needs a rest.

Well after 28 days on the road, and about 13,000 kms (8,000+ miles) of riding, I pulled into the garage at about 4:30 today. Had a great ride out to John Day with HandyAndy, a terrific two weeks exploring Oregon, Washington, B.C., and Alberta with my wife, then a solo ride east across Canada to home. The Rockies were outstanding, particularly Lake Louise and Jasper and the Icefields parkway between the two. I think mt butt needs a rest.

I believe I'd need a new butt altogether! Great ride!