IGNORED

Windshields -- opinions

dogboy11

OK, I know I put a lot of these "opinions" posts out here but forgive me, I am still fairly new to BMW. After riding for about 175 miles on Saturday with my wife on the back, I figured out that, for her sake, before we take a long trip I need to get a windshield that will help her out more.... maybe a little taller and wider. I have looked at the Vstream, the Cee Bailey and the Aeroflow Aeroscreens. I was wondering if I could get your opinions on the advantages/disadvantages of ones you know about and possibly any other screens that I might not have seen.

Thanks for any help you can give.

DB

ShovelStrokeEd

Smaller, lower and tilted back more. Clean air is a good thing.

You did ask for an opinion. :)

CalSci is another. While I don't have experience with any other than stock and CalSci, I can say CalSci is by far better than stock. Much less buffeting thus less noise, etc. Nice product.

Sidmariner

I'm 6'3" so I bought the Cee Bailey +7 windscreen.

I'm pretty happy with it. On most rides I only have to raise it half way, which keeps the top lip below my line of sight but still reduces the helmet noise and buffetting considerably.

The windscreen really earns its keep in foul weather and winter conditions. I ride totally protected while staying nice and clean.

The only thing I wish was better was its rain-shedding ability. Water does tend to cling a bit more than I would like and the most popular screen polishes don't make any difference. I think the lexan attracts and holds water.

I'd give the Cee-Bailey 8.5 out of 10.

I installed a V-Stream on my '07 R1200RT. Works pretty well. I find I don't need the top edge of the screen as high to get similar function as the factory screen. The added width is nicer in the rain also. My wife also feels the V-Stream works better from the rear seat.

Hi,I use the aeroflow,compared to stock it`s great,minimal noise,no buffeting and none of that sucked forward feeling if you put it full up.You dont say what bike and how tall you are,mine is fitted to a R1100rt and i`m 5`11".Hope this helps.

David Sharpe

I usually have my completely down. I find the air flow is very comfortable at +75 mhp. Cross winds are a different subject and they are annoying but a different windshield won't help.

CruisinCruzan

My .02 (for which I'll get change) I have experimented with windshields on my '06 RT for the same reason as the original poster, my wife felt she was getting beat up on the upper body with the stock shield. What was surprising to me was that she was using our R1200C Montana with the standard shield as her reference for little buffeting. Tried the CB +6 width, +1 height better but still not there. Tried the V-stream which she feels is better close to the C. As for me any of the shields worked. Good Luck

realshelby

dogboy11,

I see you are in Texas. The heat and humidity in parts of Texas (97 right now in Houston) have an effect on what shield will work for you.

I have used an Aeroflow, taller stock shield, a +3 1/2" + 4 1/2" and a + 7" Cee Bailey. My favorite shield is the + 7" CB which I cut down to +6". It is the Euro cut which helps more on the taller shields. However, in the heat I run the + 4 1/2" CB because with it all the way down I get air into my helmet.(A survival technique for commuting). The taller shields are noticably better for reducing buffeting, partly because they don't have to be run in the full up position. The taller shields can be run halfway up which reduces angle induced buffeting and still give good control over how much air hits the helmet area. If you have a doubt about what size to order I recommend going the taller route.

I'm 6ft tall and find that the stock screen suites me fine. Usually have the screen raised a bit so that hits the top part of my helmet. In the rain, I'll lower it some to blow my face shield clear. It's better to have clean air hitting you than trying to block the air from you. Mean cross winds are a problem, regardless of the screen, because of relative wind.

motoguy128

My wife and I are happy wiht the Cal Sci. Defnite improvement over the stock shield. It's most noteable features is reduce turbulence, yet you still get some air to keep you cool on hot days. I find my wife is happy with it raised only a few inches. I have the large which is +2", but it noteable wider, expecially at the top.

• 1 month later...

I've gone from stock last year on my R1200RT to a Ztechnik VStream at the MOA rally. It provided much more coverage for my wife as well I. However, I noticed a quite a bit of buffetting, in particular at highway speeds. I installed a California Scientific screen last week. The wife and I gave it a test run and were won over immediately. It's hard to describe how much of a difference it made for me.

Fightingpiper

I am 6'3 with most of my height in my upper body and I have the xl Cal-sci and love it. last weekend I had the bike apart so I deceided to put the stock back on just to feel the difference and it is night and day between the two. I have no noise from turbulance on the cal-sci but do get a breeze if its down to help cool on hot days and no wind on the body if its up to keep warm on cold days.

http://www.calsci.com/

I am 6'3 with most of my height in my upper body and I have the xl Cal-sci and love it. last weekend I had the bike apart so I deceided to put the stock back on just to feel the difference and it is night and day between the two. I have no noise from turbulance on the cal-sci but do get a breeze if its down to help cool on hot days and no wind on the body if its up to keep warm on cold days.

http://www.calsci.com/

+1

I am 6'4" and purchased the large cal sci. It is a big improvement over stock. Less turbulance and much quiter. I probably should have gotten the xlarge but was afraid it might be too much. Still, I'm happy with the large.

For those who have a large or extra large Cal Sci screen, have you experienced any issues with the factory support arms/brackets due to the additional loading?

pete

There is probably less force on the bottom bracket than with the stock shield. I doubt there is any more force on the top bracket than with the stock shield. There is certainly less movement from turbulence shaking the brackets.

My best guess of the load on brackets from testing windshields is:

- Stock in lowest position is very low.

- Stock and CalSci X-large in normal use are similar.

- V-Stream load is higher.

- Cee Bailey is even higher with the +1+1 I have. Larger sizes than that are probably what are actually breaking.

The Aeroflow transformed my 12GS. The buffeting and noise were obscene with the stock screen. I've had it on for 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles and I'm quite pleased. Well worth the money.

BTW, do a search and you'll find lots of windscreen reviews. You'll also find my review of the Aeroflow that I did a couple of years ago.

Anyone ever go from a Cee Bailey to a Cal-Sci or vice versa. I have a Cee Bailey Euro +4 or 4.5 that I've been riding with for years. I'm 6'3" and it is a big improvement over stock, but I'm wondering if the cal-sci is even better with the additional vent slots and what appears to be wider shape?

Rogue_Trader

We've had some mention of support arms, so let me share my experience with my (demised) Cee Bailey. Worked great for a couple of years, reducing noise/buffeting significantly. Then, on a severe bump, the two bottom brackets let go, dropping the top of the windscreen in my lap. Turns out the metal bracket which controls windscreen height (electrically adjusted) had been overstressed and snapped. Point is, going with a taller screen than stock may exceed the design envelope of the windshield assembly. Just take this into consideration as you consider non-stock screens.

I've gone from stock last year on my R1200RT to a Ztechnik VStream at the MOA rally. It provided much more coverage for my wife as well I. However, I noticed a quite a bit of buffetting, in particular at highway speeds. I installed a California Scientific screen last week. The wife and I gave it a test run and were won over immediately. It's hard to describe how much of a difference it made for me.

I second this statement, the exact same scenario for me.

I just received my calsci windscreen Friday and took it out today for a test run. Best adjective, wow! It has to be the best windscreen I've ever had for eliminating back pressure and wind noise. I'm 6' tall with a 32"+ inseam running a medium windscreen. No affiliation with calsci but wouldn't mind an under the table kickback :/

• 2 months later...

I just put a cee baileys on my 1200ST. I don't really like the looks but during the cold months in Massachusetts it makes a huge difference. I've been commuting down in the high 20's to low 30's and the windshield keeps most of the wind off of me, which makes it much more comfortable. I found a great deal on e-bay, there was a place selling brand new cee baileys shields for around $50. They had a lot of different models for different bikes, and mine was shipped in the original cee baileys box with all the paper work. I don't know where the guy is getting them, but it was a great deal.

Brian

I am 6' with a 32" inseam, have a 2005 R1200RT and first switched to the CEE Bailey +1. I liked it. One of my support arms eventually broke and independant of that setback I was hankering to try the Cal Sci one to see if it was any better. I got the medium, and the big difference for me is less backdraft, so I am sticking with the Cal Sci.

Eric

They had a lot of different models for different bikes, and mine was shipped in the original cee baileys box with all the paper work. I don't know where the guy is getting them, but it was a great deal.

Brian

If your shield came from CA and is from racers35 then you got it directly from Cee Bailey's. No mystery there. You got a new shield that is not A+ quality so they off the blems on ebay for a steal. Gotta love that and thank the Friday afternoon worker thinking about the weekend!

Ebay

Racers35 seller name.

or you can just put in1200rt windshield in the search box.

When you find them just look at the list of items they are offering currently.

Simple :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

I had one snap after 18k miles. Dealer repaired under warranty. Although the CalSci screen is larger, I would argue against it exceeding tolerances for normal use. The stock screen is designed to be fully extended at speeds in excess of 120mph. Most of us rarely reach those speeds so the loading on the arms with a larger screen at "normal" speeds is probably not excessive. For the record, my arm broke when I went over a large bump which jolted the bike quite severely. BTW, it took the dealer the best part of 2 hours to repair. Required extensive dismantling of the front bodywork.

Archived