IGNORED

1200rt fuel gauge

drodg

I stop and fill up my 12rt this morning. I have a little under 1/4 tank left and this is the first fill up since getting it. I have my dress shoes on so I don't put it on the center stand. I fill it to the very top of the tank on it's side stand. I still only show a little over 3/4 tank on the gauge. Is this normal? I still put in 4.9 gallons.

Remove the rubber splash protector from the filler neck and fill the tank on the center stand. I found that shaking the bike a few times from side to side will allow you to get even more fuel in the tank.

Good Luck

Mine is the same way. Even when I put it on the center stand. The gauge doesn't seem to want to go all the way up. Either that or you would need an eye dropper to top it up full enough without spilling.

Just a guess, but I think you may be misreading your fuel gauge. I know I was at first till I took a closer look at it. The gauge is divided into 4 segments and the top segment does not go all they way to the very top of the gauge where the gas pump symbol is depicted. See page 20 of the Rider's Manual.

Botton line: take another look at how the gauge is laid out.

OK. Thanks for the head's up. I'll check the manual when I get my bike back from service (it's under the seat :-)

Thanks,

I ran mine this weekend to no bars on the gauge and then 35 miles. I topped it off without the rubber thing with 6.2 gallons @ 285 miles, that puts me about 46mpg. So from what I read it should hold 7+ gallons. Has anyone tested this or am I going to have to carry a can to find out? Any Help? crazy.gif

So far I've ridden over 5,000 miles the first 2 months of my R1200RT's life. I've pushed the fuel tank to 6.8 gallons with the fuel computer reading (------), It took 321 miles & a lot of nerve to push it this far. My LT would do the same mileage with 1 gallon less fuel. frown.gif

I also had the same issue on my new 12RT. The dealer has heard the same thing from other new owners. He has been advised by his BMW service rep that new software is in the works to correct the calabration of the "Ribbin" sensor/computer reading indicator to reflect more accurate readings.

Will wait to see how long it takes.

Mine held 6.975 at 330 miles, also without the rubber thingy at the bottom of the filler neck.

How far AFTER the fuel gage had ------ as miles left did you go before filling up? I've run mine about 20 miles past -------, and it took 6.1. When I asked the BMW rep, he stated the tank "doesn't really" hold 7.1, but wouldn't commit to a figure, probablybecasue he doesn't know.. Short of running with an extra can until it stops, it would be good to know the real usable capacity..

Craig

Craig

My car is the same way. I think they purposely make the computer think it's out with about a gallon or so to spare. That way crazy people like us won't push it too far and run the injectors dry dopeslap.gif

I ran mine about 20 miles past ..... also and took 6.01 gals. About 335 miles and at that rate I figure I could go another 50 or conservatively 40 miles. About 60 past the computer....I don't have an iron butt so I want off in shorter distances anyway so fill-up is no problem.

Lift up the locking gas cap, look down at the funnel like dish that is exposed - at the bottom you will see a black ring that is about 1/4 wide. Be cafeful not to drop it in the tank and move one edge to the side and lift it out, put it in a save place in case you need to re-install it later.

Archived