IGNORED

K 75 RT Kickstand Issue

Redbrick

Understand I probably have a small audience here but for anyone who is having an excessive lean problem on the side stand with your K 75 here's some input...Wheel straight ahead on old side stand it was 35 1/2 inches to the end of the right grip from the floor..Leaning pretty far...Put on new pivot bolt and new sidestand ($100.00 +) and only gained an inch; now 36 1/2 inches....It's OK but think is should be less so will probably weld a foot on the new stand to get it up another inch......Side by side with both stands you can see a slight difference where the old stand bent.........

General comment: I am really enjoying the web site.....Very interesting to read about all the BMW types and am very impressed with the vast knowledge out there and the willingness to help, not only with info but even traveling to physically help with a teardown/fix........

Thanks. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Phil........Redbrick

I can relate. I have a k75s, it seems to lean a little too much on the sidestand but I use the centerstand most of the time. Hmmm . . .maybe I'll take a look down here and see what's going on.

Steve

Understand I probably have a small audience

Sir! Never underestimate the value of your contributions here. My K100RT also leans a lot on the side stand and I've been watching and reading in several places wondering what to do about it. Your experience here is very valuable. thumbsup.gif

Rich

Thanks for the kind words.....A little more input on the subject..This must be a fairly common problem as I've run across others complaining about it..I've considered heating and straightening the old stand but am concerned about losing temper..Talked to a welding shop guy and he said he could weld some rod supports on it after the straightening...Tacky, I thought..Ordered new one and had it in a week....I read an interesting fix for this on another website where the guy heated and bent it using vise grips while the stand was still on the bike....Holy explosion and fire, Batman...

Anyway, thanks from a felow brick owner up in Ventura County...

Phil Redbrick smile.gif

Holy explosion and fire, Batman...

Ha ha. I saw that article too. There one where he talks about doing something about getting the molecules lined up or something. I've considered using a torch to straighten it up, but haven't gone forward with that plan yet. I think the side stand should be mild (not tempered) steel, but I could be wrong. I'll definitely try replacing the pivot bolt first.

• 1 month later...

I have a 1987 K75 and have the same problem. I think the part that is bending is the tab on the centerstand where the side stand attaches to. I too bought a new side stand but I have not installed it. I compared the old side stand with the new one, and they looked identical as to bends and length, so I didn't think it was the side stand that was bending. I also noticed that the side stand does not mesh exactly wth the indentation in the exhaust pipe when it is retracted. If the tab where the side stand is attached to the center stand frame were bent down slighly, I think this would be solved too. One of these days I plan to remove the centerstand and see if a machine shop can adjust the bend of the tab.

Andy....

The condition of your bike on the side stand duplicates mine....Before I put on the new side stand and pivot bolt the stand wouldn't seat in the rubber bumper under the muffler; missed is by about an inch to the outside I think...With the new items it seats right where it should....Wonder if it's possible to have the sidestand mount bent without losing strength as it is cast steel......I don't know that much about metals, however...Right now I'm living with a slightly excessive lean over...Just careful parking it on slopes...The 1150 stands up really nice so that's my comparison....Anyway, please let us know what you think after mounting your new stand. clap.gif.......

Phil.......Redbrick

Archived