Sign in to follow this  
Francois_Dumas

Pegasus Bridge - Normandy

Francois_Dumas

Part Three of our Normandy Trip Report..... One of the things I wanted to see this time 'round was the famous Pegasus Bridge in Bénouville, captured by Major John Howard and his paratroopers.

This was one of the many daring missions.... landing near the strategically important bridge, in the middle of the night with three gliders, on a piece of land that would hardly be big enough for a modern day single seater.....

It is awesome reading about it, seeing the film.... but nothing beats standing on that same place and imagining how scary it must have been that one night in June.....

I'll let the photos speak:

This is the bridge as it is now.. it is a copy of the old one. The old bridge has been moved a few hundred yards and is now part of the museum.

Airborne Museum near the bridge

25823684-L.jpg

The houses (and old cafe) across the river, where the German troops sheltered and put up a fight. Later the British para's would use them to fend off German counter attacks, until reinforcements arrived at the bridge.

25823686-L.jpg

The leader of the attack team.... Major John Howard

25823687-M.jpg

Where Nina is standing (near the statue) is where Major Howard's first glider came to a halt.... VERY near the bridge.

The two other gliders landed within 2 minutes and all managed to not hit each other. On the right was water, on the left is water....... lots of courage and luck !!!!

25823688-L.jpg

Another photo of the Pegasus Cafe, after which the bridge was named.

25823690-L.jpg

An old English tank, displyed near the bridge. This particular one was actually left behind in Hermanville, some 15 km's away from the bridge. It was restored by the British Army Engineers and posted at the bridge.

25823691-L.jpg

It was a beuatiful day, very warm.... and despite my cracking headache we enjoyed seeing the sights at Bénouville, Ouistreham and further inland.

If you're interested, here are some other links to websites about that era:

French and English site about the Invasion and Pegasus Bridge

Another site with lots of info and photos of D-Day

Pegasus Bridge page of a WW2 site

Map Tours of D-Day... click on the dots to see original photos

Boffin

Nice pictures Francois,

I too have stood on the site of the landing and marvelled. These gliders flew on dead reckoning at night without the benefit of navigation aids, lights or friendly ground crews. To land within a few hundred yards of the objective was airmanship of the highest standard.

One point, the bridge and the café are named after the emblem of the paratroop regiment, Pegasus the winged horse.

The old bridge at night.

pegasus4gp.jpg

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

russell_bynum

That's way too stinkin' cool! Thanks for the pics!

glockster
That's way too stinkin' cool! Thanks for the pics!

Couldn't have said it any better!

Thanks

Francois_Dumas

One point, the bridge and the café are named after the emblem of the paratroop regiment, Pegasus the winged horse.

Andy thumbsup.gif

Oops, sorry.... I thought I had that one figured out... without checking wink.gif Thanks Andy smile.gif