IGNORED

8 Days in CO (planned for July)

amz

Yeeha! Stephen

Wow! What a trip. You're gonna be one tired puppy. Be careful on that last day slab home. Good luck! Sure looks like fun.

Looks like you're going to be hustling through some might pretty areas. Do you have or have you considered some "on bike" video?

Trip looks like a prime candidate for it.

I'm jealous...

Hmmm - On-bike video? I do have a camera and a Ram mount that I used on my ATV - guess I'll have to check that out...

Yeah, I might be too optimistic on my daily mileage; but this is supposed to be a riding vacation (me, myself, I, and the KGT :clap:): great riding/roads with nice vistas. If I get too many 'smell the roses' urges, there are enough opportunities to shorten it up and re-route; I'm looking at the planned route more like a guideline that may (and probably will be) changed as I go.

Tentatively 7/19, plus/minus 1 week. Have to re-arrange some client (business) stuff...

Total mileage as planned is around 3,051. D1-532, D2-389, D3-408 (this one assumes I visit both Mesa Verda and 4 Corners, which I will probably not...), D4-349, D5-340, D6-275, D7-185, and D8-573. The last 2 days before slabbing it home should allow for some nice rest time in Breckenridge and Denver...

Stephen is right, that is a lot of riding.

If think you could afford the time to take a less beaten path for part of Day 2, I suggest this route to get you from Cheyenne to US 34:

1. Take US 85 south from Cheyenne to CO 14 at Ault, CO.

2. Take CO 14 west into and through Fort Collins, then up the Poudre Canyon to Stove Prairie Road (CR 27), which is a tasty twisty 2-laner that runs behind the foothills west of Fort Collins to Stove Prairie and then south through Buckhorn Canyon to Masonville.

3. At Masonville, turn south and follow the road to its end at US 34.

Also, for a minor tweak to your route, but a neat way to get into Estes Park, when you get to Drake, take Devil's Gulch Road (CR 43) through Glen Haven and into Estes from the northeast. Much less traffic than US 34, but with some nice twisties.

If those roads arent showing up on your maps, PM me and I'll send you one that does. Or, depending on the day and time, I might even be able to join you for a bit.

I have a question, is CR 27 paved all the way from Poudre Canyon to Masonville? And is Rist Canyon better or worse.

Thanks, leaving for CO on the 3rd. :clap:

I have a question, is CR 27 paved all the way from Poudre Canyon to Masonville? And is Rist Canyon better or worse.

Thanks, leaving for CO on the 3rd. :clap:

Yes, CR 27 is paved all the way. Beware that it has no shoulders, and there can be sand or gravel in the curves, but that is true for almost all CO twisties all through the spring, summer and fall.

Rist Canyon is also a great road, all paved. Again, watch for sand, especially in the switchbacks near the top.

Rist Canyon Rd. effectively ends at CR 27. You can take it as an alternate from Fort Collins rather than running up Poudre Canyon. But if you can afford the time, sample some of both.

Mapquest has CR-27 non-paved for quite a ways between 14 and Masonville...

Not true; it is all paved, and was re=paved somewhat recently, so the surface is generally in good condition.

I should also mention that CR 27 runs through some open range ranching area, so you'll encounter some cattle guards, including some that are near curves. They're not hard to spot or cross, but you need to beware and adjust accordingly.

Ok my 2 cents. Omaha to I 76 to CO 14 west to Ft Collins. Have Joel buy you dinner. :grin:

Go on 14 as he said to 27 south to 34, turn around and run it again. Yes ,it's that good. Estes Park is a slow go over the mountain. 14 is not as crowded and has a bunch of 100 MPH sweepers you are on a GT right?, through the BIG ranch country in to Walden, Fuel at the end, food two blocks north. South then west on 14 to 40 over rabbit ears pass to Steamboat, watch out for LEO,S on the big down hill in Streamboat. :eek:

131 south is not to be missed. Watch out for the fast , sharp left hander 3/4 of the way down You will be looking at the coal trains down in the valley below then opps!! You'll see all the skid marks !! Great food stop at the end.

Take I 70 west through the Glenwood canyon, as good as an Interstate can be. 82 south and on 82 and back to your route.

Wish I could do the ride :clap: :clap:

More great tips - this is awesome!

One snag at this point - I was planning on mixing up camping and 'motel-/hotel-ing' - don't want to reserve as that "pins me down"... Only problem - It appears as if finding motel/hotel rooms w/o reservations in the secondm half of July may be an issue. Should I assume I'll have to camp the whole week?

Archived