IGNORED

Your Thoughts On A K75RT?

Motors

I'm considering buying a K75RT that has very low mileage. Anyone have any experience with the 3 cylinder? I currently own two oilheads.

Thanks,

Motors

I'm considering buying a K75RT that has very low mileage. Anyone have any experience with the 3 cylinder? I currently own two oilheads.

Thanks,

Motors

The small K bike is seriously underated IMHO. A little underpowered perhaps, but super smooth and ultra reliable. Still slightly top-heavy (Which BMW isn't?)

Try and get a test ride, I am sure you will like it.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Thanks for your input. This one has ABS with only 1800 miles for a 1994. Just saw it today. Even has the original rubber, which I would replace before riding any distance.

Motors

We have a '95 K75RT. Its really a great bike. Smooth, comfortable and reliable. Just got an '04 R1150RT which wife usually rides and will probably keep the K75 for me. Sounds like you have a deal there. Do all maintenance, particularly the spline lube, right away just to make sure.

I had a '95 K75RTA (with ABS) that was my first introduction to BMW motorcycles. I had it for one season. Very smooth bike, the faster it goes the smoother it gets. I also loved the wind protection from the hugh fairing, bike rode great. That's the good news.

The bad news IMHO is that it's top heavy especially when the front dives because it does not have the suspension the newer BMW RT models have. It was also a toaster (it's nickname) in the hot weather. Unbearable for me but the reason I sold it was because I always felt like I was going to dump it when I stopped. It was the most unnerving feeling. I changed the fork oil to a heavier weight to decrease the dive and it only helped a little. Also you'll learn how to down throttle and control the little backfires that are part of owning a K75. The first couple scared the bejeesus out of me.

There is a very loyal following for the K75 and the K75RT with ABS is a sought after model. Good luck, I'm sure you'll like it !

IMO one of the best bikes BMW ever produced. If course, it's nearly the only BMW bike I have ever owned. blush.gif

It's a great touring bike with adequate power and a smoooooooth engine. Brakes are good but you don't have the telelever front end.

The protection is one of its only faults. Nice in cold weather, if you ride in heat you'll wish you had less. I upgraded to a K12RS this spring and one of the things I was looking for was less protection.

-hank

Thanks for all your positive comments and helpful hints. That's what we all here for, right? It appears to be a really neat and unique motorcycle. I know it won't have the power of my 1150RT, but sounds like it will be a lot of fun to ride. As far as the comments re heat, I will be moving to the great NW, so the faring protection and even the heat shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for your help.

Motors

It won`t be far behind your oilhead - K-bikes are pretty strong, even the K75, and it`s lighter, too.

Enjoy the protection and the great K reliability - you`re getting a nice bike. wink.gif

John Moylan

I have sourced 4 of these for friends inside the last two years - they really are underrated.

In terms of dynamics, yes, they dive bit at the front, but a modest investments in progressive fork springs, new fork oil, and if you want to go mad, a quality rear shock, would transform the bike.

Compared to the R's - my own included - the engine is of a higher build quality and material quality. It's also 'nicer' to drive.......what I mean is, you can lug it around at walking pace in 3rd gear, and it'll from zero to hero without much drama. On our R's, you'd have cramp in your left hand from riding the clutch in traffic compared to it.

Heavy, sure, but it's not a sports bike, so who cares?

Oh, and much lighter on petrol than an R. Should have no problem getting mid 50's to 60 mpg on it.

And they're cheap.

What's not to like??

In terms of dynamics, yes, they dive bit at the front, but a modest investments in progressive fork springs, new fork oil, and if you want to go mad, a quality rear shock, would transform the bike.

I put Progressive shocks on the rear which lowered it a little which was a good thing and heavier weight fork oil, the dealership also lowered the front a bit to match the rear. Bike rode great but still felt like it dove too much. When I test rode an R with the new suspension I was intriqued and when I rode the 1150RT it was the best of both worlds since I had gotten used to all the creature comforts on the K75RT. I did like the 3 cylinder K engine A LOT.

All that aside, buy the K75RT you'll really enjoy it.

I've got a 1994 K75 (the version with just a windshield, no fairing) and absolutely love it! It's got 52,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten. It's so smooth it's uncanny. Check out this link to A&S Cycles for historical info:

http://ascycles.com/history.aspx

I have absolutely no trouble getting maintenance parts for the bike, and have found that it's infinitely easier to work on than my oilhead R1100RT. I have a buddy that saw a 1994 K75 in NY State with 300,000 miles on it and it was pristine. I've done all the preventive maintenance on the K75 since I've had it and it's a snap.

A buddy and I just recently rode to Spring Torrey, he had bike trouble at the last minute and rode my K75 instead of his R100RT airhead and just loved it. He's a big guy and had no trouble staying with me on my RT at sustained speeds of 85+. I don't buy the "underpowered" argument either, since this bike has 75 hp and weighs ~500 pounds wet. The RT has 90 hp but weighs 120 pounds more. The K75 is more of a cruiser-type ride, handling isn't as fast/sporty as the RT, but it takes corners at speed just fine. It is very manageable at low speeds and very stable at highway speeds. My son and I are going to ride to the Canadian Rockies early next month, him on the K75 and me on the RT, and I have no worries whatsoever about the K75 making the 3500 mile trip without trouble.

I say go for it, you won't be disappointed! I absolutely love mine!

Hi Doug,

Thanks so much for the link. Very helpful and interesting. The bike I'm interested in is a 94 and has only 1,800 miles, but the owner wants in the neighborhood of 6K. Too much? My biggest concern is that the bike sat for a long time. It does have a new fuel pump. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Charles

Hi Charles,

Only 1800 miles on a 10 year old bike is cause for concern. If it sat for a long period of time without being used, the biggest problem will likely be the brake system. I have purchased two bikes that had sat for awhile (2-3 years) and both of them had bad hydraulics that ultimately cost a lot to repair. Since brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air, master cylinders tend to clog up, corrode, and leak, sometimes the brake calipers also. The engine will be fine (use fresh gas if it sat too long), as will the drivetrain mechanicals, but the brake system will definitely need a full flush and possibly some repairs. This could get expensive if it has ABS, could even hit $500 without abs. Luckily, on that bike the clutch is cable actuated so you don't need to worry about that.

I would offer $5k max unless there are recent service receipts and/or proof it was not sitting for over 6 months at a time, as you may well have $1000 of repairs/maintenance to be done. I say this because I don't think that any mid-90's K-bike is worth over $6k, just because of the older (although very reliable) design. Yes I would pay $6k for a really clean one if it had full recent service and proof of regular use, even if the mileage were considerably higher, since they last so long.

john

Motors,

I owned a 1993 K75RT before switching to an R-bike. I didn't have to sell it to afford the R, it was more of a space issue. I am truely sorry it is no longer part of my family............of all the beemers I've owned (3), it was my favorite. Go for it!!!!!!!!!

Parrothead

I bought mine about a year ago with 49,000 miles on it and a big handful of service documentation. It's been very well maintained and ridden enough to keep everything "fresh". I agree it can be hard on a machine to just sit for long periods of time, but this isn't your average Japanese dirt bike either. I just flushed the brake systems on my non-ABS K75 and they were fine, no sign of trouble, but then they've been used. I paid just a little over half what your seller wants and I know I got a helluva deal (sticker for mine new was $9100, suspect the RT version was considerably more). I've seen the same bike as mine go for almost $5000. It's the plain version, just a windshield, but has color-matched bags, heated grips, tank bag, manual, etc. and was in pristine condition. I didn't feel 49,000 miles was anything to worry about given the level of care it had received. I agree, $6000 sounds kinda high, but you are basically getting a brand new bike for about 2/3 or less of new cost. I've dismantled my bike and done all kinds of preventive maintenance on it and everything is just in fabulous condition, due in part to the original build quality and the care it's gotten. If possible, have the bike looked at by a qualified BMW dealer before you purchase it. If that's not possible, I think odds are that the bike is just fine with a possibility of a few minor issues you'll have to correct. It isn't even close to broken in yet! There should be virtually no issues with clutch, gearbox, bearings, driveshafts, cooling system, brake pads, whatever other wear items. You'll probably want to flush and treat the fuel system for varnish, and maybe flush the cooling system (but it's probably just fine since coolant has corrosion inhibitors). Definitely change the oil ASAP, consider changing the gear and rear drive oil (I like RedLine Heavy synthetic) and like mentioned earlier flush the brake system. This is just normal maintenance anyway and a good habit to get into.

I've ridden the K75 in stunning crosswinds, heavy rain, hot dry days, cold snowy days, you name it and the bike has performed flawlessly. I really bought it for my wife and son to use because they are intimidated by the bigger heavier bulkier RT, but in some ways I prefer the K bike to the RT, especially around town. I don't notice any heat issues on hot days (unlike my Suzuki DR650 dualsport which fries my right leg). If you like the bike and feel it's something you'll ride for a long time I think you should go for it. Six large sounds high, but if you like it and there's no hidden damage then I think you'll get your money's worth out of it. Just look around a little and see what other kinds of bikes you can get for that money, and that price starts to sound pretty reasonable by comparison. We priced a Suzuki V-Strom 650 last Fall, by the time we had it outfitted with luggage, throttle lock, and some other amenities it was over $7500..... A one year old (demo bike) BMW F650 outfitted with luggage and amenities was almost $11,000.... I personally like the K75's ride, amenities (like an alternator that could power a car!) and build quality much better.

You will LOVE that bike! clap.gifthumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

I have a 1987 K75T that I bought new in 1987. I bought a 2003 R1150RT but couldn't part with the K75. I have to agree with all that has been said-the K75 is smooth and and has a bullet-proof engine. My major maintenance problem was my own fault-I had let the bike sit in the garage for several years without riding it, and the fuel pump went bad and the gas tank corroded. The fuel tank is aluminum, and if water sits in the low spots, holes can corrode through the tank at the bottom edges. I ended up just purchasing a new tank instead of trying to repair the old one. If this bike has been sitting around for a long time without the gas being drained from the tank, be sure to look at the lower edges of the tank. Push in on the outside and see if there is any weakness, or try to look inside the tank.

The other aspect of the bike I never liked was the backfiring. A careful tuneup can reduce it, but it never completely goes away.

I owned a 1987 K75S. It is one of my favorite bikes of all time. With one exception. That being the transmission. I went through two in 33k miles and it failed again. I sold it as is to some fellow up in Kansas. Never heard if he got it running again.

I know, this is different than the RT, but should be the same drive train. I would get the tranny checked out by a qualified BMW service guy. They are not always easy to find. I think that is why I had so many problems with the tranny.

Good luck. Just try to ignore the high pitched buzz in the handle bars. It is not a problem, more of a feature.

Chris

Archived