IGNORED

Comings and goings...

Effjay

In the sprit of "When are you arriving/departing?" and with the "Excited Chatter" thread in full bloom, I thought it would fun to share our planned routes. Like any real adventure, I don't want to over plan so I only booked one motel room other than in John Day (2nd night in La Pine, OR - I'll ride around the Mt Bachelor loop, then "sniff" Bend on the way to the Un). The link below was created in Google maps which I'll use in part to load (or not) specific daily routes into my Zumo. I'm leaving Saturday 5-July and my route will be counter clockwise roundtrip from my home in SoCal. Actual daily routes and destinations will be adjusted by factors of heat, average speed, time and fatigue (all related).

It would be fun to share part of my ride with a few others or combine yours with my own enroute or home from the UnRally. There should be plenty of time to kick tires and discuss plans while in John Day. I'll be in Room 103 at Americas Best Value along with Dave (drswift) who will be arriving separately from his own home turf. Feel free to share you own route plans - it should be interesting!

Effjay's UnRally route

Jeff

My route is really easy: go one mile to junction of I-15 and 395 from home. Turn North on 395 and the first day ride 597.5 miles to Alturas, CA, Get up the next morning and continue North on 395 for 264 miles to John Day. I'm going home through Auburn CA site of the 49'r rally. While in John Day I'm doing a day ride to Boise ID to have a quick visit with my youngest daughter 326 miles round trip.

FUN FUN FUN

gregg

Slab from the house to JD, 1,875 miles in two days and then the real fun will begin. It is all good.

Yes it is all good but oh my gawd - nearly an Iron Butt each day? So, an inquiring mind wants to know... do you still smile like in your avatar afterwards? I bet 'ya walk kinda funny! :grin:

Just to clarify - my intent on this thread is for others to likewise share planned routes and maybe hook up for portions of their own rides. Hey, I'm just sayin... :wave:

Jeff

Paul_Burkett

At the end of the day I am tired from sitting, doing nothing, but after a good six hours of sleep, you are ready to do it again. It's like having a desk job, except the monitor is the road and the sky and bad drivers.

lES'sEE...

I'll leave around midnight from Cas Del HannaBone in Dull Moan on July 4th - head through Iowa Nebraska and most of Wyoming (1060 miles) to Jackson Hole.

Head to Missoula on Saturday July 5th and camp.

Meet up with Doc47 (David) and do Lolo Pass and end up at the Terminal Gravity Brewery and camp and make merry in Enterprise, OR on Sunday July 6th.

Doc47 & I will then move the final 186 miles to JDay and be there by noonish +/-.

I am meeting 3 of my high school classmates that forgot their way back to the Iowa homeland (it's been almost 20 years for a few of them)...so I'm doing a dual purpose trip.

One to see them and Two to see y'all and to finally ride out in the great NW.!

C A N N O T -- -- W A I T

I'll be the oone with the 'FOG' hat on...

Leaving the Kansas City metro area tomorrow (6/21) --> Rapid City, SD --> Great Falls, MT --> Calgary, AB --> Edmonton, AB --> Barrhead, AB --> Calgary, AB --> Cranbrook, BC --> Spokane, WA --> John Day.

John Day, OR --> Salt Lake City, UT --> Lincoln, NE --> KC (7/16 or so).

4500m/7200km more or less.

See you there!

317093320_pv5x3-M.jpg

Paul Mihalka

This is the plan. It can change by weather, tiredness, momentary wim, or whatever. Leaving Maryland a week from today, 6/28, pm from work. Nightly stops: Charleston WV, Jefferson City MO, Garden City KS, Gunnison CO, Salina UT, Minden NV - Mr/Mrs. Sagerider's place, Eureka CA, Oakridge OR, Packwood WA - two nights, John Day on 7/8.

Return: leave John Day on 7/11 to Missoula MT, Billings MT - Beartooth YES!, Mitchell SD, Peoria IL, Washington PA, HOME on 7/16.

All this God willing and the creeks don't rise - after all I will be riding through Cedar Rapids IA!

Just a simple run from Louisiana to Oregon and back. Looks like SLC should be a popular spot, might need to set up a vendor selling chili dogs! Jean and I are looking forward to the trip, meeting new faces and greeting old ones!

2631 miles going, and 1970 miles coming, no idea how many while in John Day, ha!

JohnDay trip.jpg

Lot of miles being rolled this Un - looks like some of you might need new tires before getting home!

This is good reading - keep the route plans coming! :thumbsup:

All this God willing and the creeks don't rise - after all I will be riding through Cedar Rapids IA!

i rESEMBLE that comment..!

Since I'm currently sitting in Ouray, CO, and I need to return to home in Texas before I head out again...and a trip to Wisconsin before I get home for good...my route is a bit long.

The route from John Day to Wisconsin lacks real detail, since none of it will be on interstate highways.

I'm leaving Wednesday for Hyder Alaska. I changed my original plan to go to Fairbanks after some hard thinking about the expense of a longer trip.

I figure that I can make Calgary in three days, then turn it down a few notches and enjoy the ride. Take my time going through Banff and Jasper and actually stop and see stuff. I should be able to make Calgary-Hyder easily in about 3-4 days, leaving me lotsa time to traverse the 1,350 remaining miles.

Should be in John Day before the 8th.

Our Route

July 4 to Jackson,

July 5 in the parks. Night of July 5 in West Yellowstone.

July 6 to Orofino, ID via Lolo

July 7 to John Day via Hells Canyon NRA

Jan and Sharon (Bullett)

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

Well I guess I should chime in here. Uh, leave Seattle on the 7th - early - and take the most direct route, i.e. shortest travel time to run the 450 miles to John Day. So I can sort your tee shirts.

Paul Mihalka
Well I guess I should chime in here. Uh, leave Seattle on the 7th - early - and take the most direct route, i.e. shortest travel time to run the 450 miles to John Day. So I can sort your tee shirts.

Thanks for the tee shirt sorting and everything else you are doing for the UN. Great job!

Hey Steve - while sending an email to a buddy just now, I did spell check.

Guess what: UnRally = unruly

Unruly??? NO, not this crowd - but maybe more fun than sorting t-shirts! :grin:

Jeff

Sue & I are all set, routes set and reservations made.

We will be leaving home July 6 going up 395 to Bridgeport, then on to Lakeview and arriving in John Day July 8.

After the Un, we will head West to Cottage Grove to visit friends, down to Roseburg to visit more friends and then over to Crescent City by way of Crater Lake. July 15th has us heading down the coast and over to Sacramento for more visiting. Then home after a stop in Bishop.

13 day trip, 2600 miles, being with friends, PRICELESS !!!!

OK, when you leave Crater Lake head down the back side to Fort Klamath. Stay on the west side of Klamath Lake by going straight at Fort Klamath instead of the left sweeper the highway makes. About a mile out make a right turn and cross the marsh. This road continues south where it connects to 140. Turn right and go west a bit on 140, turn off (left) at Lake of the woods and go over "Dead Indian Road" (politicaly correct) to Ashland then connect to the highway comming out at Crescent City. Dead Indian is a mortycle mecca.

Questions?...

Bruce, thanks for the trip tips. I'll go over them with my co-pilot and see what she says.

Do you think we have time to get from Roseburg to Crescent City the way you suggest? How long do you think it will take?

Thanks

hOLY guacamole : I just did my route on my GPS and MapSource...one way is 1955 miles..! (good year..)

Of Course, that's NOT the most direct route...

That includes JackHole / Missoula..Lolo Pass / Enterprise / etc.

So - I guess you could say..

I

AM

GETTIN'

STOKED..!!!

Wonderful trip! :thumbsup:

I plan on a long day, Tuesday the 7th. Google says only 525 miles, but 10 hours travel time. Grass Valley to Loyalton (Hwy 49), then 70 from Vinton over to 395. From there, it's north thru Alturas,CA, up to Lakeview, OR, and into to John Day. (Going up I-80 thru Reno to 395 only would save me 30 minutes, but the ride isn't half as nice as the back way!)

Wonderful trip! :thumbsup:

I plan on a long day, Tuesday the 7th. Google says only 525 miles, but 10 hours travel time. Grass Valley to Loyalton (Hwy 49)...

Very few sections of hwy nicer than 49 between Grass Valley and 89! :thumbsup:

Took a scouting run up there on Tuesday. It was really socked in with smoke everywhere I went from all the fires in our area. :( Today is still pretty bad air quality. Hope it clears up by the 4th.

Took a scouting run up there on Tuesday. It was really socked in with smoke everywhere I went from all the fires in our area. :( Today is still pretty bad air quality. Hope it clears up by the 4th.

Yeah Dave, I must just miss ya. Monday left Auburn on 49 to 89 than rode to Chester for the night, Tuesday rode in to Mt. Shasta, I had second hand smoke the whole way. See ya in Johnny Day.

Holy smokes Batman..might have to detour thru Nevada to get away from the smoke.

Sagerider, you gots a Nevada report to share?

MB>

Last 3 days we have had smoky conditions in the Reno / Carson City area. Visibility generally has been between 2 to 3 miles.

As long as the winds are from the west, we will continue to collect the smoke from the California fires.

Winds are predicted to shift to the south east overnight. That will clear most of the smoke, but brings the threat of dry thunderstorms to our area (in other words, more fires...)

Firefight911
Holy smokes Batman..might have to detour thru Nevada to get away from the smoke.

Sagerider, you gots a Nevada report to share?

MB>

All indicators point to it getting worse before it gets better. As Michael states, more lightning is forecast and with that, more fires!!!!

(Crying inside!!!!!!!)

LINKY

Great info, thanks.

Guess I'll have to tough it out. Anybody have any Visine?

MB>

nOPE, bUT I've got some beer..!

Roger, The route I suggested wouldn't take you thru Roseburg however your sugestion of a route down the Umpquah River to Roseburg is fablous. I am guessing to get from Roseburg to Crescent City I'd go out to the beach at Bandon then down. Instead of the freeway ride to Grants Pass and over. The ride on the beach from Port Orford to Crescent City is some of the best Oregon has to offer.

Writing from a motel lobby in McBride BC. Had a very enjoyable visit with MikeRC in Calgary. Banff and Jasper were breathtaking!

(note to self, always remember to charge camera battery)

On to Hyder and the Unrally!

You went up the Icefield Parkway with a dead camera battery??? That is truly tragic!

Yup, I got a few shots, but I got "charge battery" screen as I was about to get a glacier shot.

Duhhh :dopeslap:

Paul_Burkett

I carry an extra battery and a charger and a power converter, that way I can be recharging batteries while I am riding. A friend uses only stuff that uses AA or AAA batteries and carries a charger and power converter, it makes good sense, he only has to recharge two types of batteries rather than a different type for every item taken on the trip.

Ron, it is good to see that you are haveing a fun and safe trip, see you next week.

Nice having you stop by, Ron. Your trip up the Icefields Parkway was probably crystal clear. No clouds at all today.

Ken and Donna H also dropped by on Tuesday. I'ld say they were on to bigger and better things but they were going to Edmonton Wednesday :/

Still working the rest of this weekend, but at least I got the wheels in yesterday for new tires.

See you all in a week or so.

Mike Cassidy

Writing from a motel lobby in McBride BC. Had a very enjoyable visit with MikeRC in Calgary. Banff and Jasper were breathtaking!

(note to self, always remember to charge camera battery)

On to Hyder and the Unrally!

i can resemble that too, go to take a picture of the dempster highway start an no juice...

i think my route will take me through medicine hat, cranbrook and and the down through idaho, also want to catch a beer at that special location... should be in midday on the 8th

Ken and Donna H also dropped by on Tuesday. I'ld say they were on to bigger and better things but they were going to Edmonton Wednesday :/

Yeah, did more of the imigration stuff in Edmonton, and now we’re in Barrhead, AB, about 100k further north, which is even more (not) exciting.

Our plans have changed some, now we’re going with Donna’s sister's family to Raduim Hot Springs for a couple of days of soaking, then to Musoula, MT to a Native American Sweat, for some more mind and body rejuvinzation. Then over to John Day from there. Still hope to use at least some of your good road suggestions though!

Holy cow way to cool, can't wait to hear the ride details and see pictures. 1 1/2 more days and we will be leaving for the North! Getting really excited now!! :clap:

Well, I made it to Hyder on Monday with plenty of time to amble around, take pictures and talk to some of the Hyderites. I'd post some picts, but I haven't figured out resizing on this machine.

British Columbia is Beautiful. I saw three different black bears on the Stewart Highway, and one on Rt. 16. I also saw a gigantic cat on the Stewart. I swear it was a mountain lion, but one of the Hyderites said it was probably a lynx. I think it was too big to be a lynx.

Except for Saskatchewan, the weather has been good but a little hot. I'm Vanderhoof tonight, and plan to take a few roads that Mike suggested in southern BC.

Everyone have a great ride, and I'll see you all in John Day.

Am relaxing in John Day tonight. Thought about going to Vancouver Island but reports of strong storms caused me to wuss out. Made the border crossing at Chilliwack, sitting behind about a zillion cars in pouring rain. The Cascades were awesome. Having a great time, and the best is yet to come. Come on people, wick it up!

Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs
Am relaxing in John Day tonight.

Already?? Or is there another John Day??

On the road again, I am leaving Brookings this Sunday A.M., Going to see Crater Lake , than camp with Three Sisters before heading into John Day Monday.....

The above route is subject to change at a moments notice

Am relaxing in John Day tonight.

Already?? Or is there another John Day??

Of Course not. John Day Montana on the 6th, right?

Where is everyone?

Archived