IGNORED

Unrally Check-In Thread

Spikes_Wife

Spikes_Wife

The last two six who were departing today left a little while ago (we all had lunch first), so I thought it was about time to get the check-in thread started up. Post when you get home so we know you got there safely. Hope everyone enjoyed their time here in Virginia. grin.gif

--patti

John Ranalletta

Home at 2PM, setting some land speed records for '97 Camry towing trailer.

Thanks for all your work. It was a fine, fine event.

George Brown

Arrived safely at 1:50 PM EST.

Departed at 8:20 AM.

351 uneventful miles - all slab, no GRAVEL.

Rode to I-81 exit 315 with Al (KE30K) the Kansas HOON.

First, thanks to you and Spike for all the work. It seemed to run like a freshly lubed spine. tongue.gif Your preparation is much appreciated--I'm sure it felt like herding cats.

Russell and Lisa arrived here Friday night. I got them up early and we were on the road, to much whining, by 6a for a 240 mile run through some wonderful mountain roads (Cumberland Plateau and then the Smoky Mountains). Met Mark and Christine Davis for lunch in Hiawassee, after which Russell and I switched bikes and we ran another 250 miles of awesome north GA roads. Russell rode the GS like he'd been riding it for years, and I rode the RT like I'd been riding it for minutes. grin.gif Of course, Mark (6'6") looks like a Praying Mantis riding a mosquito, but that's another story. It was fun to hang and ride with Lisa and Christine while the boys tore up the countryside. Mark and Russell really seemed to hit it off riding together.

Both of you ladies were riding mighty fine. Christine, you have picture perfect control, body position, and lines. Lisa, that last track day must have really been the ticket.

After 500+ miles of twisties on Saturday, we spend the night in Hiawassee. Sunday we met Kenny Haynes for lunch at El Bistro, taking backroads to get there, and then we introduced our CA friends to the Cherohala, 129, Deal's Gap (twice), 28, and then ended up at a hotel in Cherokee, NC. Russell got some video of us terrorizing some bikes on Deal's Gap, hopefully, including a stunned Hayabusa (thank God he wasn't a very good rider or we'd still be behind him).

Monday we left early, again, to have a sunrise breakfast on Mt. Pisgah, for a total of a couple hundred miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We arrived at the Un that night, after three days of intense riding.

That, combined with terrible allergy problems and some extended family issues, kept me a bit out of the game most of the time. The highlight was a 150 (?) mile dualsport ride for six of us: me, Todd Gill (Big-T), Spike, Tasker Day, Steve Foote (RIghtSpin), and Mark Davis. Todd and Spike were on F650 bikes and led the way with great gusto and skill--that was some seriously fun riding, sliding both ends around nearly every corner, some even intentionally. I'm not sure the mighty 12GS bikes are really made for some of that. I know two bikes "kissed" the earth and Tasker's topcase was definitely not made for that road grin.gif

On Wednesday I had to break off a ride as my allergies got even worse. On the way back to the hotel the bike wouldn't start and I had to get road service. When I got to the hotel, the thought of riding 520 miles in one sitting with those allergies made me want to puke--I was already not seeing straight and breathing funny. And since I didn't want to stand outside for the dinner that night, I made an executive decision and headed back to split the trip into two. Sorry I missed dinner with you folks--I wasn't great company anyway.

Had a great time, and can't wait for Colorado again.

TracerBullet

Just got back safe and sound

Patti/spike thanks a bunch. This was my first event and you have me hooked now

You both did a great job and my hat is off to both of you

sal

WHAT ??? It's over already? Seems like you guys just got there. dopeslap.gif Hope you all had a great time.

Now, how about them pictures....

George Brown

dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif As I awoke from a brief nap and started to get ready for the social event that caused me to leave the UN early, I remembered that I forgot to say thanks in my eariler post. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Please forgive me for not saying thanks very much to Patty, Spike and everyone else who had a part of setting up this rally. You folks did a really great job! You were successful in all ways. Great Site, Great Food and Great People.

thumbsup.gif. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

StretchMark

Just go in. Great job Patti and Spike. We had a blast.

And thanks to Big-t for schooling us again on how to ride in Virginia. You are one kick butt rider thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I got up at 4am and rode the BRP all the way (again thumbsup.gif) working on deep braking for 470 miles. I wasn't ready to be done, so I booked over to Hiawassee and rode 17/75, Richard B Russell and 129. The braking practice really helped!

Russell and Lisa,

Great to finally meet you in person, I had a blast showing you around N. GA. Y'all come back!! Christine also had a blast and wished she could have joined us at the UN. She says "Hi everyone".

Great riding with Big-t, Spike, RightSpin and Tasker again too...oh yeah and David wink.gif That GS ride rocked, except for when Tasker hit my back tire and made me go down grin.gif...yeah, that's what happened.

Smoke Hole road was awesome, but very intense...it was also the reason I practiced braking all the way home blush.gif

I loved seeing the smile on Sylvia's face after we tore up 25 and 33. She looked like she was having a blast..you guys were riding really well 2-up.

That was great when Richard gave Spike his balls grin.gif. Richard, Great hangin' with ya dude, and thanks for the fine sippin' whiskey!!

2100 miles.

Over 900 BRP miles thumbsup.gif

31 slab miles tongue.gif

I'll put some of the few pics I took after I go soak my arse for a little bit smirk.gif

b.t.w Jamie and Leslie are stopping by our house for a visit Friday night. If any of the Georgia crowd wants to joins us for dinner Friday night, PM me or call.

WHAT ??? It's over already?

Not quite yet, just got in from a 470 mile ride including the New River Gorge and Burkes Garden. What a blast -- the only bad thing is not remembering well the roads out into WV from the morning, because the roads this afternoon were a total f-ing blast! clap.gif

Back at 6:30. Dodged rain showers all afternoon only to hit a strong cell 20 miles from home frown.gif. Slowed down and made it fine. Bike is cleaner now wink.gif

Patti and Spike- Thanks so much for all your efforts. What a great un-event clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Nice to see and meet so many outstanding people. This is a wonderful community thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I'm in Blowing Rock after riding about 230 miles down the BRP... Was really great, even though there were spots of heavy rain.

Just checking in will have more later. Really enjoyed the Un thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen

I'm checking in.

For you folks that might care that I didn't get to go. Sniff - Sniff frown.gif

I'm fine... Sniff frown.gif

My Doctor visits went well... Sniff frown.gif

I think I'll be fine that an Un went by without me...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bncry.gif

Home in 13 hrs, 923 miles. The Un was the best... clap.gifclap.gif.

You guys and gals did it !!! cool.gifcool.gif

As they say ,gooder than good!

The roads, thumbsup.gif Wow. I did about 1200 miles of back roads and each one was so special. The trees, the smells from all the flowering whatever that was, the cows in that tall green grass, the cow trails on the farm roads, the clear water in the streams and rivers. Did I mention the roads?? thumbsup.gif Oh yea and all those big black snakes on the roads too.

Once again I have to ask myself ,"why do I live in Il?? dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

The last miles home redefinded the word FLAT!! frown.giffrown.gif

Again ,thanks to all who got R done.

See you down the road.

Paul Mihalka

Patti/cyphergirl and John/Spike, THANKS! Great Unorganization wink.gif, great site, great everything!

Yesterday morning had a leasurely ride of a piece of Skyline Drive and Virginia/Maryland backroads to be at work at 1pm. Cleared off 4 days of junk from my desk. At 7pm started my 25 mile ride from work to home. Heavy rain storm for the last hour, center of a thunderstorm - no, it did not hit me wink.gif. The roads were flooded with mud rivers, I wanted a GS. Had to make a U-turn, the road was impassable with a pickup already stuck in the middle. Stopping or waiting was not really an option. If I wait I would have had rain and darkness together. Not good. After a detour I made it home. Funny that the last piece of my excursion had the most excitement.

It was again super great to meet old friends and make new ones. See you all next year in Gunnison!!!

russell_bynum

I do believe that this was the most fun you could have with your clothes on. smile.gif

We'll post ride tales, pictures, and hopefully video later (Sorry David, the dang tape ran out about halfway up Deals Gap, so we missed us passing that sorry ass Hayabusa.

We got Bob's (rhadd) bike as far as Memphis last night. We'll drop it off at Plano BMW this afternoon then head down for a couple of days on Lake Buchanan in the Hill Country (no riding...we'll be focusing on stretching out the Hammock and emptying the pitcher of Margaritas) before we head back to reality on Monday/Tuesday.

Way too much fun.

Spike and Patti did an awesome job!

Easy ride home for me until I hit the metro area. Several major tieups on I66 into town. It's easy to get used to traffic free rural roads. Why do I live here?

Thanks to Patti, Spike and who ever else had a hand in this event. Great un-organization!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Alright, I'll check in. From.... Lynchburg.

Yep we made it! 85 miles two up in the pouring rain. At least richard wasn't dragging the pegs on the wet roads- he waited until we got to the dry ones.

Hammersley said the bike was buttoned up but the tech wanted to put a few miles on it before we took of for the left coast. Can't say I blame him. We got about 10 hours of well needed sleep and a good (free) breakfast at the hotel. We should be picking it up around 10.

I want my bike back!

Shawn, thanks for dragging my gear in.

Lone_RT_rider
Shawn, thanks for dragging my gear in.

Not a problem, its all good karma!

We made it back home last night by 4:20 with bike in tow. I ordered the new hall sensor today and that should be in by Wed of next week in plenty of time for me to install it before I leave to Germany. Rainy through some pics on her smugmug account but I don't have time to find the link as of yet. We had a great time despite the bike failure! It's always great to see everyone and we only have one thing to say!

ON TO GUNNISON!!!!!!

Shawn

Rainy through some pics on her smugmug account but I don't have time to find the link as of yet.

Here ya go.. UnRally Pics

Thanks again Patti, Spike, and everyone else for all of your work. It was a blast! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Well, I am back home and the RT should be here sometime this afternoon. Flew back frm Nashville - thanks to David, Ken, Donna, Russell, and Lisa for the help in getting back. Thanks to Paul, Jamie, and Patti for the help in West Virginia. This board is REALLY the BEST.

I will be posting a tale and pics later today.

The ribs are only a little sore and I seem to be moving better all the time. The right Shoulder is still pretty stiff and sore.

Bob, glad you made it home safe. I'm glad you told me that you were ready for the next round of meds when we got to the airport yesterday, because you looked pretty miserable with those broken ribs. I hope they stuck you in a seat where there was no one on your right side.

Just got a report 5 mins ago that your bike is in Texarkana, so I suspect it'll be at the dealer in Plano around 5:00p or before.

Take it easy and heal up quickly. cool.gif

Spikes_Wife

Spike and I pulled in about an hour ago and got the bikes unloaded. Pretty uneventful trip back in the car/truck.

Big thanks to Cabel for handling breakfast, Tasker for handling t-shirts and koozies, Todd for putting the routes together, to the people who helped with the accidents and incidents (Jamie, Paul, John, Todd, Lance Hough, etc, etc, etc -- I know I forgot some names), and to everyone who helped us setup and tear down for each meal -- we really appreciated all of your help. clap.gif

We hope everyone had a great time and a safe trip to wherever they're going! thumbsup.gif

steve.foote

Mrs. RightSpin and I got in a couple of hours ago. Much fun was had and I already can't wait for the next one. clap.gif

Oh, and a big thanks to Patti and John for putting this thing on. Though it's officially "Un-organized", there is still a lot of responsibility for the un-organizers.

And, if I could make one little quibble, did the entire state of Virginia need to be mowed during this particular week? dopeslap.gif

Got home at 7:30 last night 700 hot miles later! Great time and wonderful meeting so many of you. Thanks Patti & Spike. thumbsup.gif

Draftermike

Had a very nice uneventful trip home. Great weather on the ride, arriving early afternoon about twenty minutes before the REALLY HARD rain hit. Ken and Donna were just here dropping my trailer off from helping transport rhadd1's bike back, they said it was a really bad storm they went through and they were in a truck.

I got up kinda early this morning and then calculated that I would hit Saint Louis traffic about rush hour time if I kept my same pace, so I throttled back, by golly these things will get fifty miles to the gallon, and my little gas mileage experimentation allowed me to slip right through St. Louis AFTER the rush hour. thumbsup.gif

Super Unrally, so good to see friends and make more. Thanks to all!!! clap.gif

-Mike

Patti and Spike --- and all others I met ---- Thanks for making my first Un a memorable 'Un!!!

Left at 6:55 AM Friday, arrived at Hammersley in Lynchburg at 8:40 AM. One rear tire, and one oil change later, I'm on my way again at 10:20 AM, arriving home in Princeton at 1:10 PM.

Uneventful except for about 1 minute of "huge" raindrops, the kind that make your head recoil when they hit your helmet.

Weeble

Princeton, WV

We're at stretchmark and HoonTang's place on our way home. We're looking at the weather report and wondering how we're going to stay ahead of Hurricaine Arlene! eek.gif

Left the motel Fri morning and rode NE to Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg VA and relaxed on their couch in the AC for a while. Then out into the traffic/heat/traffic/rain/traffic/heat/traffic/rain to Lou K's in Woodbridge VA for tomorrow is another riding day (although probably a little tamer).

It was great seeing or meeting everone again or for the first time, and may the injured heal soon (bikes too!).

Thanks again to Patti & John. -RickP.

Ken & Donna checking in, Bob and Bob's RT handed off to Russel & Lisa in Nashville (THANKS David!), Draftermike's trailer returned in MO (THANKS Mike!) and us back to KS.

THANKS Pattie & Spike for all your hard work!

Even though we had to cut and run (sorry Ron, put "it" on the shelf for next time) we enjoyed seeing old and making new Friends.

Thanks for getting us lost George! (I think!) It was an interesting ride!

Cheers!

George Brown

Thanks for getting us lost George! (I think!) It was an interesting ride!

My Pleasure, Ken. But, let's not forget you had the GPS. I really enjoyed riding with you and Donna again. thumbsup.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Sylva and I arrived home last night at 9PM. We had an unplanned stop for a new rear tire. We smoked it up I81, stopped in WV to make calls and check the rear tire and made the decision that the Z6 was dead. We limped it to Mechanicsburg, PA and had it chaned at the BMW/Honda dealer (www.imotosports.com) there. They took good care of us, and got us back on the road as quickly as they could.

We hopped onto back roads north of Scranton, PA, and worked our way across the Catskill Mountains on NY-30. Got pulled over by the NYC DEP Police for taking pictures around the NYC reservoirs. Quite funny. They pulled us over and asked Sylva for the camera. She had no idea why we were being pulled over. She's trying to figure out what looking at pictures has to do with writing us a speeding ticket! Turns out their department just got some RTP's. We had a nice talk about beemers, they ran our ID's and sent us on our way. I guess getting taken off that Homeland Security List was a good thing![1] blush.gif

Patti and Spike thank you so much for everything you did to make this event special. And particularly for your help to me and Sylva. We really appreciate it. As soon as I have a kitchen again you guys need to come visit.

More later when I get pictures processed,

Mark

[1] Kind of a joke, but last year it seemed like every time I flew I got "picked" for special screening. Time after time after time. Hasn't happened this year. It was weird though, thought I was on a list someplace.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin Friday, checking in. Got home a couple of hours ago, all's well, but the grass is a little long. Maybe if I mow it and fling some in the street, Steve Foote will come riding by... crazy.gif

Patti/Spike, thanks for all your work; breakfasts and dinner were outstanding, campground (with all its furred and feathered animals) was a great site. Had an excellent time!

thumbsup.gif

Sheepherder

I got home a couple hours ago. Stopped Last night Wilmington to watch the Tractor Pull Nationals, and had an easy ride today. Had a great time, and thanks for the people who set it up!!

Slumgullion

Chris K and I got in about an hour ago..had the pleasure of riding the last 30 mi in pouring rain and got to witness 2 wrecks on I 20! Much appreciation to Patti and Spike for the super job of organizing the UN. Thanks to Shawn and Rainey for puttin' us up, loanin' us wheels and to Big T for bailing me out by loanin' me his tire off his RT. Ya'll's generosity really made the UN a great time for me. Thanks!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Well, let's see. Richard and I stopped of in Lexington KY last night, after riding some great side road through a canyon for, like, a hundred miles or so. All high speed sweepers! It was worth the extra time, and today we're holed up in St. Joseph Mo. after a 650 mile day.

What wimps... We rode through some extreme weather. Put the rain gear on for a drizzle and then strip it off because of impending heat stroke, then, really, within the next 30 minutes suffer from impending hypothermia from the downpour that was stopping cars on the shoulder. No way we were gonna slow it down, we'd get run'd over. Stopped under the Arch in St. Louis for a couple-o-pics, then on... We even stopped before the sun went down!? eek.gif

Who knows what's in store for tomorrow?

Got back Thursday pm about 4pm. I only live 150 east, but decided to extend the adventure with 300 mile day to include the Skyline Drive and a stop at Mortons to see the new Rt and the K1200s... At perfect Day!!

Lot of fun, ready to go again!!

Wild Bill

Of course I'm still on the road... in the past couple days I've done all of skyline dr, all of the BRP (but the closed section), deals gap and some nice backroads courtesy rightspin. Going to head out to the atlantic ocean and stay a couple days in Savannah GA. I'll have some down time there to rest and work on some pics.

thumbsup.gif

edit: I did have a great time at Deals Gap, not many bikes actually on the road. Never got passed and stayed right on some yellow ducati through the whole thing. (not that he was a great rider but that was fun tongue.gif ) Did the section a total of 3 times.

Will Knight

We got home around 1:30pm yesterday, after spending Friday night at the Bluff's Lodge on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Saturday morning Doughton Park was in the clouds, we had less than 100' visibility for the 1st five miles.

Margo and I both had a good time and enjoyed the fellowship. There is a lot of beautiful country in West Virginia and Virginia, a great place to ride.

Thanks to all who helped put this together, especially Patti and Spike.

Arrived home about 9:30 this morning safe & sound.

Thanks to Patti & Spike for a great un! thumbsup.gif

Thanks to all the folks I met for a wonderful experience. clap.gif

Thanks to my BMW for making the round trip (6K miles) with no problems! crazy.gif

Thanks to Spike and Patti, and all others who helped. What an excellent week!

Just got home, seems like I took a wrong turn on the way home, and ended up in Georgia. I tried to get out, but it took two days. grin.gif

Nice to see old buddies and meet a few new ones. See ya'll at Gunnison.

I got home at 2 PM today after picking up my son in Kalamazoo. I rode up there Thursday after my early AM departure from the un. We started home Friday noon after shipping most of his belongings home via UPS. We came home via the AMA Hall of Fame museum near Columbus OH. This was the hottest, most humid riding I've done in a while. I broke in a new Hoon Cooler, and we kept stopping to wet our helmet liners, which helped a lot. Not a fun way for Chris to be introduced to motorcycling, but he was a very good sport about it.

Patti, John, Cabell, Todd, and all others who helped put together a great week of riding: thanks a bunch!!!

Hi All,

left Thursday morning to do all of the Skyway, what a wonderful ride, and the smells..., smelled like ... Victory!

Stretched the home journey over two days and returned to Ontario via Cape Vincent/Wolf Island/Kingston, very nice.

Thanks to All, especially Patty and Spike, it was great.

And Yes Kirsten I send the picture of Josh to his e-mail.

Jurgen

Got in Friday morning, safe and sound.

Thanks to Patti, Spike and everyone who helped out for my first UN. Can't wait for Gunnison.

I see that no one check in from the Pittsburgh crew so I will. All home safe, even Scott after his get off on Rt 60.

Thanks for the hard work and great dinner. Nice meeting everyone.

Archived