IGNORED

lights above mirrors too high?

kmaire

I added Hella ff50 lights above the mirrors on my 1150RT. After I finished I checked the height - just about 46 inches. Has anyone been stopped/cited for too high lights?

ShovelStrokeEd

I believe Florida law requires all accessory lighting to below the level of the main beam headlights. Also, they have to be clear for some reason. At least that's what the Palm Beach County Sheriff who stopped me on my K12RS told me.

I think most states restrict lighting in some similar way. I also think that so long as they are aimed well and you don't do something to attract unwanted attention, the subject is unlikely to come up.

I think most states restrict lighting in some similar way. I also think that so long as they are aimed well and you don't do something to attract unwanted attention, the subject is unlikely to come up.
Like Ed said. I love mine and they only come on with the high beams only. thumbsup.gif

If questioned about it, ask the LEO about the lights above the mirrors on the RT-P's and he/she should leave you alone.

If questioned about it, ask the LEO about the lights above the mirrors on the RT-P's and he/she should leave you alone.

I believe that in California LEO's are exempt from the Vehicle Code, probably a similar situation exists in other states. Just because they can do it doesn't mean that you can. (Not that I intend to lecture a retired motor officer on this point..! grin.gif)

But it seems that it would sure take a very bored LEO to write you up on something like this...

I've always had some type of aux. lights placed above the level line of the headlights and I've never had an issue with it. Including those 6 inch, 130w monsters a few years back. Wow.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I added Hella ff50 lights above the mirrors on my 1150RT. After I finished I checked the height - just about 46 inches. Has anyone been stopped/cited for too high lights?

Had lights over mirrors for 4 years, 75K miles now. Never been an issue (but they only run with the high beams) for the random LEO passing by, and wasn't an issue during the one traffic stop in that time period.

In VA you can get a ticket if the cop is bored and looking for something to write. All aux lighting/fog lights are to be mounted no higher than the headlight. State law requires that aux/driving/fog lights mounted above the headlight must have covers attached when the vehicle is operated on the road (just like the 4x4's with the lights mounted on the roll bar).

I switched to the RBR mount and love it - lights are high enough to do their thing without getting any undo flashes from on coming traffic.

• 1 month later...
russell_bynum

I've got PIAA 910's on EMP brackets over the mirrors. Technically they're illegal since I believe you're not supposed to have lights above the headlight unless they are covered and used "off-road only".

I've never had anyone hassle me about it. The ONLY time they get used is on those high-speed desert crossings at night. If I ever encounter a LEO on one of those trips and my V1 doesn't alert me in time, the LEO will have much jucier things to write me for than my driving lights. smirk.gif

...I believe that in California LEO's are exempt from the Vehicle Code, probably a similar situation exists in other states...

I don't think that is true. A while back there was a bulletin that allowed dealers to re-activate the foglight switch on RT-Ps. This was after a change in the CA VC that raised the allowable height of fogs on motorcycles.

Having just researched it...

In CT, all driving/foglights must be mounted no more than 42" above the ground. Unfortunately the RT-P mounts are around 46". (Not that I have anything to mount there right now anyway).

I was under the impression that the CHP lights (above the mirrors) are for emergency lights, not fog lights, so different rules apply. (That's what *was* on mine).

Archived