IGNORED

ews bmw recall

john roc

gregpopovich

You know last weekend my bike did not start after cranking over the starter about five times until a shut it off and tried again...letting it go through the normal motions. I wonder if this is related to this subject? It's never done that before.

gregpopovich

Just called my dealer, Long Beach BMW & they said they had not heard of any recall on the EWS ring antenna yet. He did say he'd seen problems with some 05 GS's & a few 08 GT's had issues -- but not a lot of 06 or 07 RT's. He said he thought they'd fixed the problem after the 05's had issues becuase they had not seen the problem in the 06 & 07's -- but now the 08's are having issues so there may be a "campaign" as he called it.

There is going to be a "campaign" for the well known EWS problem. BMW is tooling up right now on special tools and parts to make the fix as efficient as possible for dealers and owners alike. Hang in there a fix is coming. And yes BMW does read your concerns here and in other forums. However, like all other manufactures an open admission to the problem will not be addmitted as such. It will be played out as an actual fix or replacement to prevent an event during this campaign.

Apparently, there is a campaign to address the issue.

Here's a list of the VIN's affected;

recall.jpg

Thanks to the OP's on another site for this.

Linky

My dealer, as of today, says there is nothing official from BMW yet. Either he is mis-informed (what, a dealer???), or this is advance leaked inside-info. :eek:

Irv Seaver in Orange, CA is unaware of any issues too. As usual, I contacted BMW and they told me there is not a recall and that I should contact my local dealer for further questions. The automotive side is much more responsible to recalls. How come? Are there different federal guidelines for automobiles vs. motorcycles when it comes to recalls?

Called my dealer, CalMoto in Mountain View CA, they knew about the problem and my R1200RT VIN is included in the group recalled. Cal Moto will replace my EWS antenna next Thursday.

Irv Seaver in Orange, CA is unaware of any issues too. As usual, I contacted BMW and they told me there is not a recall and that I should contact my local dealer for further questions. The automotive side is much more responsible to recalls. How come? Are there different federal guidelines for automobiles vs. motorcycles when it comes to recalls?

I suspect it's because it's not a "recall" per se (a safety issue requiring intervention by the NHTSA), but rather a service campaign decided upon by BMW alone. It may be a major PITA, but not a safety issue.

I got this e-mail from MAX BMW yesterday....(this is the text version)

MAX BMW Motorcycles - June 27, 2008

IMPORTANT Service Recall - EWS Ring

BMW Motorrad USA today announced a recall campaign on motorcycles equipped with an electronic-immobilizer ring aerial, also known as the EWS ring. In order to correct this defect, BMW Motorrad USA will replace the EWS ring on your motorcycle at no cost to you.

What is the problem?

Failures of the electronic-immobilizer ring aerial have been the subject of frequent reports, particularly with model-year 2007-2008 motorcycles.

The EWS ring recognizes your ignition key. The result of an EWS ring failure is that your motorcycle will not start. Often this failure occurs without warning.

Affected motorcycles should have this repair completed without delay.

What you need to do:

Please review the affected motorcycles list below to determine if your motorcycle is equipped with an electronic-immobilizer ring. Contact the service department at your nearest MAX BMW Motorcycles location without delay. This service can take up to two hours and will covered under your BMW warranty.

MAX BMW Motorcycles has increased service capacity to accommodate these repairs.

MAX BMW Motorcycles is prepared for the volume of motorcycles affected by this recall. As the northeast's only exclusive BMW Motorcycle dealer, we have 18 technicians and hundreds of replacement parts in-stock. We are taking appointments immediately for ride-in, while-you-wait service to correct this problem. Each of our locations have comfortable customer areas and breakfast and lunch restaurants within walking distance. We suggest you call and make your appointment as soon as possible.

Service Department Contacts:

MAX BMW Motorcycles - New Hampshire

209 Lafayette Road, US Rte.1

North Hampton, NH 03862

Tel: 603-964-2877

Hours: Tues-Fri 9 AM - 6 PM, Saturday, 9 AM - 4 PM

MAX BMW Motorcycles - New York 845 Hoosick Rd.

Brunswick, NY 12180

Tel: 518-279-3040

Hours: Tues-Fri 9 AM - 6 PM, Saturday, 9 AM - 4 PM

Please note that MAX BMW Motorcycles will be closed on Friday, July 4th and Saturday, July 5th for the Independence Day holiday.

Affected Motorcycles:

{as posted earlier in this thread by 99}

Link to list

If you have any questions regarding this recall campaign, please call our service department at your nearest MAX BMW Motorcycles location.

Apparently, there is a campaign to address the issue.

Here's a list of the VIN's affected;

recall.jpg

Thanks to the OP's on another site for this.

Linky

Oh joy!!!!

That means me.......

At least I purchased a new EWS before I went to CO.....they said I could just strap it to the old one if it failed and the key would work.

Now I need the special little goofy tool to replace the bad one.

I'm glad the internet is here.

Whip

Glad I never bothered with a spare. Now I get one free. Think I'll have them mail me one, I like the one that came with the bike.

Well, we called our dealer to see if they could do ours before we leave for two weeks on the road for the UNrally. They hadn't heard of the recall and they are two weeks out on service, period. They have yet another new service manager, this one from an automobile background. He hadn't heard that they were supposed to be working on Sharon's heated grips, but after asking around found out that they still don't have anything worked out on that either.

We went to the independent shop and ordered the part to carry with us. Got to go pick it up Thursday before we leave. yeesh.

Jan

I was just told by Scottsdale BMW that BMW has told them they will replace all the attennas on 07 & 08 RT at no cost to the owner. All the dealers should have that info now.

Over on the MOA Forums, one fellow (who obviuosly works at a dealer) pointed out that each dealer simply has to log onto the BMW dealers network ("Motorrad" in DCSnet) and under "What's New" they will find "Release of Technical Campaign-EWS Ring Antenna Replacement". As he points out, some dealers seem not to be too religious about actually logging onto the network and checking for the latest info. BMW makes it available for all dealers at the same time, but dealers actually have to go get it. Doesn't sound too hard. Good dealers do this routinely; the average, or mediocre, ones don't.

Oh joy!!!!

That means me.......

At least I purchased a new EWS before I went to CO.....they said I could just strap it to the old one if it failed and the key would work.

Now I need the special little goofy tool to replace the bad one.

I'm glad the internet is here.

Whip

Why do you have to get it? Is it not under warrentee?

I don't under stand the question????????

There was no recall when I left and I didn't want to be stranded.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

I asked why you have to get the tool yourself. You have a spare ring. The original has not gone out, if there is indeed a recall BMW will replace. You need no tool to get you moving on the road, other then the small star wrench to remove the plug/antenna cover, then just plug and ride.

I asked why you have to get the tool yourself. You have a spare ring. The original has not gone out, if there is indeed a recall BMW will replace. You need no tool to get you moving on the road, other then the small star wrench to remove the plug/antenna cover, then just plug and ride.

Sorry....I didn't know you were referring to the tool.

Your Right!!!!!

Thanks

Whip

I have an 07 with 9968 miles which I purchased new last year. Just pulled into the driveway tonight from my daily commute and turned off bike to raise garage door. Went to turn bike back on and got the "EWS" error. Bike wouldn't start. Pushed into garage and tried starting several times over the course of a few hours and same "EWS" error. Just went out again after about 2.5 hours and the damn thing started, go figure. The dealer will be getting a call first thing in the morning. First problem I have had with the bike!

My dealer, Ventura BMW, is starting to call customers with affected bikes. its a campaign, not a recall - I guess that means a lower level of followup and reporting by the dealers. I had mine done today - took the dealer almost 3 hours because he had a lot trouble drilling out the tamper proof screws.

For those folks in the Northeast Max BMW is set up to do the Antenna Ring replacement.

they have the parts and personel capable of doing it.

Mine took about 3 hours and was covered under waranty.

Give them a call to set up an appointment.

Mine orginal antenna ring nver failed but was always in the back of my mind.

I mentioned before my EWS failure on the '08 RT and it was home after 4 weeks at the dealers. It was working with a new antenna ring, I think maybe the 5th one they tried. I put my radio, lights, etc. back on to prepare for a 5 day trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway with pals. I went on a 50 mile or so ride and all worked well.

The night before we were to leave for the ride, I tested the bike to be sure all was well, and I got the EWS error again.

I called my guy at the dealers who came early the next day to pick it up to see if they could get it working in time to leave for the ride that day.

That did not work. We finally took the Softail for the ride. It did great!

Here is an IDEA! Could I/we just put a new antenna ring on the bike hidden someplace with a key firmly taped to it and then use the other key to run the bike? It seems that would have the effect of having the antenna ring always knowing it had the right key.

I know this is goofy and BMW needs to fix the problem, but I also am setting home and not riding.

Thoughts? Thanks, George

Don_Eilenberger

George, you certainly could do that - but why would the ring taped away somewhere be more robust than the one your normally use? The ECU only looks at the ring during startup..

The new PN (ends with 247) doesn't seem to have reported failures yet - so hopefully BMW has fixed the problem. And hopefully the dealer finally installed that PN on your bike (check your receipt.)

The RT is home again with what I am told is the latest and expected to be antenna ring solution. It just came from Germany on Tuesday, day before yesterday. I do not know what can be different from earlier rings but this is supposed to be.

I had decided to never take the key out again, but have a several times and each time the bike works perfectly when I again try it.

What do you think about just taping a key to the key ring in a concealed manner and use the spare key to run the bike?

We leave on a three week trip on the RT tomorrow so I am just not going to remove the key until I hear that others have found the solutions from BMW actually do the job.

Thanks, George

George for what is worth - as i posted previously - they replaced my ring and the bike starts every time.

Note 1 - I never had the EWS warning since day one.

Note 2 - the p/n for the ring replacement was 247

Don_Eilenberger
The RT is home again with what I am told is the latest and expected to be antenna ring solution. It just came from Germany on Tuesday, day before yesterday. I do not know what can be different from earlier rings but this is supposed to be.

These were probably manufactured with solder that has a bit of lead in it.

From the description that people gave of failed rings they dissected - it sounds like bad solder joints were the cause of the problem. Greens wanted lead out of the environment, so that meant taking lead out of solder (which used to be a mix of lead and tin..) The new solders have a number of problems, not the least of which is being difficult to make reliable connections with it.

I had decided to never take the key out again, but have a several times and each time the bike works perfectly when I again try it.

As it should. But the behavior should be exactly the same if you removed the key or not..

What do you think about just taping a key to the key ring in a concealed manner and use the spare key to run the bike?

Snippage..

George, I don't understand what this would accomplish unless you never shut the engine off (and even then the antenna isn't doing anything...)

The EWS system will try to communicate with the key whenever the owner tries to start the bike - and ONLY when the owner tries to start the bike. It doesn't communicate with it when the bike is off, or once the engine is running. So it's unclear to me what you hope to accomplish by never taking the key away from the antenna..

Thanks, George

Best,

• 2 weeks later...
stubblejumper

I was on tour when all of this happened,so I missed it all.I just saw this for the first time.Have bikes outside of the vin numbers listed on this thread suffered failures?My 2007 r1200st has a vin ending in 444 which is earlier than the vins mentioned in the recall for the r1200st.Should I be concerned?

We leave on a three week trip on the RT tomorrow so I am just not going to remove the key until I hear that others have found the solutions from BMW actually do the job.

Thanks, George

If you're concerned as to whether they actually used the "new and improved" ring on your bike, the new ones have the word "Ignition" embossed into the ring on the right side. The old ones don't.

stubblejumper

If you're concerned as to whether they actually used the "new and improved" ring on your bike, the new ones have the word "Ignition" embossed into the ring on the right side. The old ones don't.

I know that my bike was made before the vins listed in the recall notice,so my bike obviously will not have the new ews ring.My question was as to whether or not there have been any problems with the ews rings made prior the ones listed on the recall.Was it just a bad run of ews rings,or was it a faulty design that has been corrected?

My bike is in the middle range of the recall #'s. I have 30k on it and just returned from a 7k mile trip. Is it safe to ride to starbucks tomorrow? Do I need the new ring? Should I call my dealer or just show up with a box of donuts and hope for the best?

My bike is in the middle range of the recall #'s. I have 30k on it and just returned from a 7k mile trip. Is it safe to ride to starbucks tomorrow? Do I need the new ring? Should I call my dealer or just show up with a box of donuts and hope for the best?

From what I've heard the majority of failures occur below 5000 miles, mine is in for recall and I've got 17,000 on the bike and am not worried at all about a pending failure. (Knock on wood)

David, I honestly didn't know it was you. If I had remembered, it would have been worse. :grin:

I have no intention of getting the recall or any of the "computer upgrades" done. I never have and I never will. Gives the next owner something to do when bored. :grin:

Hey all...

Thanks to this forum, though it took some "finesse" I as able to talk my dealer into performing the EWS "recall" work during a visit (for another reason).

My new 07 RT was within the S/N range; and had less than 2000 miles on it, so I wanted to be proactive (instead of being stranded).

Again, kudos to this group!!

Bradley_Gillie

I was at my dealer today, (Fort Worth BMW) and asked the service department about the EWS service bulletin. They said "no problem" and scheduled an appointment for me on Wednesday morning. They couldn't have been nicer.

Don_Eilenberger

I just got back from the EWS "service campaign" the brake line recall campaign, and got the software updated to 11.2. I'd suggest getting all done. The software update makes a noticeable difference to smoothness and throttle response below 4K RPM. The brake lines resolved a somewhat soft initial pull that I had on the front brake (first time I would use it - it would travel a bit further towards the bars then repeated pulls on it..) It now feels even better than it did - and it felt pretty damn good before. Can't say the EWS campaign did anything since I had 17,000 on the original one.

Total cost - zilch. Did tip the mechanic since I had him put a new air filter in the bike as long as the tank and snorkle was off..

And of course spending a few hours in the showroom resulted in my buying the oil for my next oil change (and the new air filter). I did try to buy boots - but can't find anything that fits as well as my present Prexsport boots (nla in the US..) Then I tried for vented gear - found a nice Olympia jack that fit nicely, but their idea of "short" in pants is nothing like mine. The kneepads were down around my ankles, and the bottom of the leg past my toes. Total showroom damages were around $70..

I had an EWS fault on 06/01/08 with 103 miles on the odometer. Took it to the dealership on 06/03/08 for warranty replacement, which was just before the service bulletin came out. Last three of the part number used was 136, indicating it was the same part that had failed. The new part had the word "IGNITION" printed on the right side of the ring, which told me having this printed on the ring doesn't necessarily mean your getting the latest and greatest. When I went in for the 600 mile service, after the service bulletin came out, they replaced it again with the 247. This ring also has "IGNITION" printed on the right side.

Mike

hieronymous

The EWS virus is alive and well here in Australia.Had my first and hopefully only experience with my 07 R1200 RT when stopped for morning tea on the first day of a three day ride. Telephoned my dealer he was not at all surprised and advised me to bring the bike in and changeover would be done immediately. Problem I was at that time 250kms from the nearest dealer.So called BMW roadside assist. Towed back to my dealer and arrived 10 mins before closing time but happy to say problem fixed antenna replaced in half an hour.Journey resumed next morning. Great service from BMW.

Hello all,

I have an '05 RT and have been experiencing the EWS problem myself. The bike would work fine and then randomly, when I put the key in and turn to start, I would get the EWS warning. The next time it wouldn't show up..

I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the ring . Yesterday it did it again. But, it will usually start on the next try.

Any ideas?

Hello all,

I have an '05 RT and have been experiencing the EWS problem myself. The bike would work fine and then randomly, when I put the key in and turn to start, I would get the EWS warning. The next time it wouldn't show up..

I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the ring . Yesterday it did it again. But, it will usually start on the next try.

Any ideas?

Well, if the symptoms didn't go away with the new "wunder-ring 247" :/

I would look at trying a different chipped key.

If that didn't work, I would check that I didn't have an wire or connector with intermittent conductivity.

Wires will break after flexing too many times if the cable ties are too tight at the flex point. Especially, I would check the initial couple of cable ties nearest the EWS connector.

I don't believe there were too many EWS ring problems on the '05RT's, were there?

Well we had our 3rd failure 60 miles south of Boise ID, in the middle of Mayberry, on our way to the Unrally, but this time I had a spare. We are getting the newest 247 installed on the 1st of August, and I will still carry a spare with me.

AdirondackJack

Hey KDeline- Are you saying that you had used a ring ending in 247 previously, and that this is just the latest in a series of 247's that have failed for you? Or, is this the first time that you've had a ring ending in 247? Thanks in advance for any clarification. I'm asking because my '08 RT had the ring failure at 157 miles, the dealer has already fit the new "247" ring, and I now carry a 247 spare. Your thoughts? Dave R.

Hey KDeline- Are you saying that you had used a ring ending in 247 previously, and that this is just the latest in a series of 247's that have failed for you? Or, is this the first time that you've had a ring ending in 247? Thanks in advance for any clarification. I'm asking because my '08 RT had the ring failure at 157 miles, the dealer has already fit the new "247" ring, and I now carry a 247 spare. Your thoughts? Dave R.

No, I had all the old versions, then went to Boise to buy a spare for the spare which is now the 247. I am going to try to get my money back for the older spare I carried that saved our butts this time around, I am sure I will have an argurment with the parts guy.

• 2 months later...

I had my EWS replaced on my 07 GS at the dealer on Tuesday. On the trip home I noticed both mirrors were way out of adjustment and a very bad buzz in the bars. The bike felt just plain awful, not at all like my bike? After arriving home I noticed my handlebar adjustment was way forward from normal. As I start to look at the bar adjustment and the clamps I see one of the bolts doesn’t look tight? Sure enough NONE OF THE BOLTS WHERE TIGHT!! Now I’m pissed, I sit down and start thinking of all the things that could of happened on my 60 mile ride home. Apparently its easier on the GS to remove the triple clamp to do the EWS swap, and so the bars come off. Please don’t trust your dealer, check his work over because mine did not!!

Archived