IGNORED

Chrome exhaust

skinny

I have a new RT with the chrome exhaust system,which has some water stains from where the dealer didn't get the headers clean before the pipes got hot. I've tried every kind of chrome polish and blue remover I can find and nothing will touch these stains... any suggestions???

It's not chrome, it's polished stainless steel. And despite the name, some stains are inevitable. This truly falls in the category of TADT.

The 1150 RT had stainless headers, the new 1200 RT is available with optional chrome headers, which is what I have. I wish it was stainless (easier to keep clean)

the new 1200 RT is available with optional chrome headers
Oh. Okay, I stand corrected. Are they double-walled like the old cruiser line?

Don't feel bad. When I got mine home last night after taking delivery of it. It has nice blue and brown marks where they got some crap on while cleaning it. Nice streaks where the rag went over it. Heck I even have a palm print from the person who wiped it down. I sent digital images to the dealer telling them i would like a new pipe and let it brown naturally or from my own carelessness not from someone else's. We'll see what happens.

I guess the only fix is DuPont #3 rubbing compound and live with the scratches it leaves.... I can live with the blue and gold heat stains, but, like you, finger prints and other assorted spooge marks offend my sense of order... frown.gif

I've used semichrome polish on my pipes and it works great. I don't know the exact nature of your "stains", so I can't say for sure that it'll get your stain off, but it's great for the crap that collects around the exhaust outlet.

-TB

I asked about the chrome exhaust option when I picked up my bike, and my salesman said he hadnt seen any come in without it. Whats the difference? Just the muffler itself or the header pipes, or both?

Rich

• 4 weeks later...

It has been nearly a month since this topic was discussed from what I can retrieve from the archives. What is the verdict as to which is better -- Chrome exhaust vs Stainless now that a little more time has passed? And there was a debate as to whether only the exhaust pipe was chromed or both headers and pipe. Which does it turn out to be? Speculation as to why the option was offered? Thanks

Archived