IGNORED

Adding mirrors to the RT

David_S

Has anyone tried adding mirrors to the holes on the switch housings? They look the same as my 02 1150RT and I added a couple of the rectangular KRS mirrors and they really helped out. I don't have anything here to compare to the new on to be sure they are the same.

You've done about everything but write the check for that sucker, no? You're a weak man. How are we going to finish the TransAm Trail if you've got an RT? smile.gif

If you're talking about the 1200RT, I did try the rectangular K bike mirrors in the mounting holes on mine - they fit perfectly, but when I found out they about $50 each I decided to spend some more time with the fairing mounted mirrors to see if I'd get used to them before handing over the clams. After a few hundred miles, the low mirrors became more second nature and I'm OK with them. However, I presume you're like me in that you'd really prefer to have the rear views up in your horizontal peripheral vision while you look down the road.

You've done about everything but write the check for that sucker, no? You're a weak man. How are we going to finish the TransAm Trail if you've got an RT? smile.gif

Actually I picked it up this evening grin.gif. I really love the GS but all the miles I put on at some what high speeds trying to get to these El Paseo's and Mayhem with a Torrey every now and then are starting to get to me. Also when I took the trip out west with Lisa on the LT it made me realize just how great a trip can be when your sharing it with someone you really enjoy spending time with. She wasn't really comfy on the GS but she is on the RT (but wasn't on the 1150RT??) so that played an important part in the decision. I guess maybe I'll have to find someone to loan me a KLR to finish up the trans am trail wink.gif.

iconoclasticyclist thanks for the info on the mirrors fitting. Every now and then a used set turns up so I'll keep my eyes open. With the high mirrors combine with the fairing mirrors you can really set up a nice field of vision.

I had a pair of GS mirrors on my R1150RT. Kept them for my new R1200RT.

I find that only the right side will fit on my R1200RT. The left hole tapers at the bottom.

Say, now that you mention it, I may have only tried the right hand K style mirror on my bike. The dealer gave me his entire box full of mirrors to try out, and I'm not sure now whether I tested the K mirrors on both sides.

That could be an issue, David.

I too have added an 1150 GS\RS mirror to the right side.. the left hole wouldn't accept the mirror.. Seems the clutch mastercylinder cover has been changed (no sight glass either) for the new filled for life fluid..

Craig

Well I have a pair of used GS mirrors coming so I'll see confused.gif. If it's just a matter of the hole being tapered at the bottom I'll see if it can be drilled out to accept the mirror. They're coming from Canada so it'll probably be a week or more but I'll post back here once they arrive.

I put the GS (11XX) mirrors on this evening. Like people stated the left side did not fit but all it took was a few rotations on a bench grinder to get the diameter of the mirror shaft down a bit. After that it's perfect fit and the part I ground on is down in the hole and not visible. A welcome addition after this weekends trip with the stock mirrors thumbsup.gif

If you're talking about the 1200RT, I did try the rectangular K bike mirrors in the mounting holes on mine - they fit perfectly, but when I found out they about $50 each I decided to spend some more time with the fairing mounted mirrors to see if I'd get used to them before handing over the clams. After a few hundred miles, the low mirrors became more second nature and I'm OK with them. However, I presume you're like me in that you'd really prefer to have the rear views up in your horizontal peripheral vision while you look down the road.

Icocycle:

I think all this hubub about the mirrors is curious. The old RT had the same mirror positon. It's just that the new mirrors are bigger and show the back sides of your hands as well as the road. I prefer my mirrors mounted to the bike's frame instead of the bars. They are rock steady, but it's not the best when you've got packs on your pillion seat that hang over your system cases. So on long trips, it's good to have at least one handlebar mirror. I'd prefer that to be on the left because that's where I need it when I'm pulling out to pass. Either side is OK though. The point is to have one mirror that allows you to see directly behind the bike. Set the other two to show the lanes next to the bike.

Seems that the GS mirrors will work with a little filing on the left mirror. I just sold my old set to someone...wouldn't you know. I like the look of the square KRS mirrors better, however. I'm going with at least one of those and I'll only use it (them) for the fully packed version of my bike.

-TB

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I had an 1150RT and didn't like the mirrors on it either so I added GS mirrors. The RT mirrors are too low for me and I don't like having to dip my head to look in the mirrors. Also if you intend to add any gadgets to the handlebars or reservoirs they'll be partially blocked. Place some camping gear on the side cases and you can forget about using the stock mirrors for anything except making sure your luggage is in place. I also like the ability to move the handle bars and use the mirrors to look around behind me. I'm running the GS mirrors with a blind spot mirror added. Love the bike but hate the mirrors!

Icocycle:

I think all this hubub about the mirrors is curious. The old RT had the same mirror positon. It's just that the new mirrors are bigger and show the back sides of your hands as well as the road. I prefer my mirrors mounted to the bike's frame instead of the bars. They are rock steady, but it's not the best when you've got packs on your pillion seat that hang over your system cases. So on long trips, it's good to have at least one handlebar mirror. I'd prefer that to be on the left because that's where I need it when I'm pulling out to pass. Either side is OK though. The point is to have one mirror that allows you to see directly behind the bike. Set the other two to show the lanes next to the bike.

Seems that the GS mirrors will work with a little filing on the left mirror. I just sold my old set to someone...wouldn't you know. I like the look of the square KRS mirrors better, however. I'm going with at least one of those and I'll only use it (them) for the fully packed version of my bike.

-TB

• 2 weeks later...

Duh! I had posted that although the 2004 GS mirrors installed in the mirror housings on my 2002 R1150RT; that when I moved them to my R1200RT the left hole was too small for the left mirror to be inserted.

Someone else said that they used a bench grinder to make the left mirror work!

I was at Duncan's Beemers this week to pick up an Autocom accessory cable and mentioned this problem to him. He inspected the right side (mirror mounted) and looked at the hole in the left handlebar. He removed the right mirror and inserted the stem into the left to find that it didn't just drop in like on the right side.

Duncan proceeded to screw the mirror into the left side! It went all the way in so that the compression nut could be installed.

end Duh!

26829475-M.jpg

Hi David,

Can you post some pictures of the finished product? And for those of us with 10 thumbs, can you tell us what exactly you did with those few turns of the bench grinder. And then maybe while you're at it, what's a bench grinder. dopeslap.gif

I'm desparate for more backward vision. Right now I can see to either side pretty well on a multilane but forget what's right behind me......and I don't want to wait for the PoooooooM!!!!!!!

Thanks, Alan

...and, just out of curiosity, I'd like to see some pics of how the bike looks from the front and sides. I'm just wondering if the handlebar mounted mirrors detract from the RT's aesthetics. I don't want to end up with something that looks like a Frankencycle. eek.gif

Having had a '96 RT for 9 years and now an '05 RT, I've never liked the low mirrors, but have sorta/kinda gotten used to them.

David, I've got a couple of shots of the K-RS mirrors on my 12RT. Let me know if you would like to see them (I don't know how to post them to this site)

As for results, I took them out for a test yesterday. Since we were out of Maytag Blue Cheese, wifey said lets ride to Newton Iowa to get some. OK I said and off we go.

She on her R11RS and me on the RT. 101/2 hrs later and with an additional 690 miles on the bike, a good lunch under our belts, I can say that adding the RS mirrors are a good idea.

With the standard mirrors I could see SWMBO alright but if I have "stuff" on the passenger seat they are worthless. The RS are a little blurry at nominal interstate speeds whereas the standard mirrors are crystal clear.

HTH,

Rob Lessen

Arma, KS

Archived