IGNORED

How do you turn off Headlights?

malcolmblalock

malcolmblalock

I've seen this in the forum previously, but have searched for an hour and no success.

What is the procedure to turn off the headlights? You never know when you might need to conserve electrical power.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Don't think you can, without shutting off the engine. I suppose in case of an electrical emergency you could pull out the appropriate fuse, but that may make other compnents not work also.

Yes you can certainly turn the bike's headlight off. I recently posted the procedure (and link to a site about 1200GS "tricks" where it's explained). I'm at a hotel rigfht now, so I can't look at my "favourites", but if I recall you turn the ignition to on, allow it to go through its startup cycle, then simply press the turn signal cancel button for about 5 seconds, then immediately thereafter press the right turn signal button also for five seconds, then press the start button

Try looking for one of my recent posts (in xase I reversed the order of the buttons). It works on my '06 RT when you do this after turning on the key and allowing the bike to go through its startup cycle, then starting the engine. The headlight will remain off. I've also read that you can do this after the engine is running, though I have not tried. To turn the headlight back on, you have to turn off the ignition and restart the bike normally. Appaently newer bikes (2007+) will turn the lights back on simply with a piush of the high beam switch.

ArthurKnowles

I just bought the ero-switch and installed it in place of the stock switch on my RT. Let's me turn on just the parking light, the parking and head light, or the parking light with head light and auxillary lights.

malcolmblalock

Marcopolo, that procedure sounds like what I read previously. If you get to where you can check your favorites, I'd appreciate a confirmation on the procedure.

Thank you!!

For turning the headlight off on canbus bikes: Start the bike, hold down the turn signal cancel button for five seconds, then the right turn signal for another five secs and the headlight goes off.

To turn on the parking lights, turn the bike off, then hold the left turn signal for three seconds. To turn them off, turn the ignition switch on, then off again.

Sure would be nice to know what bike you're asking about...

My guess is the canbus based one in his avatar.

malcolmblalock

Sorry about that guys--it's an 05 1200 RT.

Does the same procedure work for a 1200 GS?

Malcolm

Archived