IGNORED

Hoon warning for the UnRally

Steve_Witmer

Steve_Witmer

I realize that nobody on this board would ever bend the traffic laws, but there are a couple things to be aware of near the UnRally to avoid an unusually painful performance award.

1. Parts of I-81 have been designated a traffic safety corridor due to the large number of accidents. This is a special enforcement zone with more troopers and enhanced fines for violations.

2. Virginia has a statutory reckless driving for speeds over 80 mph or more than 20 mph over the limit, whichever is lower. Reckless driving is a jailable offense in Virginia. Although jail time is seldom imposed for routine offenses, the fact that it is a jailable offense means the ticket is usually not payable by mail.

3. Blue Ridge Parkway enforcement is by federal Park Police which means a federal summons and the fines went up recently. I don't know whether that is payable by mail in the Western District of Virginia. I know in the Eastern District a court appearance is required.

4. Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia. Not a moving violation, but they will usually confiscate your detector as evidence of the violation.

5. As though the prospect of a horrible fiery death were not enough, Virginia's DUI laws are among the country's toughest, with mandatory jail time for high BAC.

Ride safe.

russell_bynum

Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia.

WHAT??????

Oh, man, that so totally sucks. That's going to put a SERIOUS damper on the fun.

frown.gif

A popular approach in the UK is to send a rider down a stretch of road at legal speeds, when he gets to the end of the section he phones the group and lets them know if the route is clear of road debris, potholes and LEOs. The group then rides the road to join up with the scout. Then its someone else's turn to be scout.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

ghaverkamp

WHAT??????

Oh, man, that so totally sucks. That's going to put a SERIOUS damper on the fun.

I gather everyone in the East knew that; it was the first thing I thought of when I heard the venue. A whole bunch of folks are going to be stopping at the borders to stash their detectors.

Greg

steve.foote
I gather everyone in the East knew that; it was the first thing I thought of when I heard the venue. A whole bunch of folks are going to be stopping at the borders to stash their detectors.

Greg

Which leads into the next question: Are radar detectors unlawful to use or have? In other words, could I still be in violation of the law even if it's locked in a hard bag?

ghaverkamp

Which leads into the next question: Are radar detectors unlawful to use or have? In other words, could I still be in violation of the law even if it's locked in a hard bag?

Use is prohibited in Virginia. DC is the only territory that I'm aware of that prohibits possession. All the advice I read leading up to my last trip to Virginia (by cage) was to remove and glovebox the detector. I dunno if VA has the newer radar detector detectors that can detect V1's or not. Don't imagine I'd take the chance.

Greg

Yes they are Illegal to have and operate in VA,however,there is a unwritten "rule of Thumb" most LEOs adhere to:

As long as the detector is unplugged/with the cord stored where it would be impossible to plug it in while riding/driving,they overlook it. thumbsup.gif

That being said,during a short ride on any interstate in VA you will see detectors in every other car.Too many cars,too few police.

My suggestion is to "bag it"....cover it with black plastic or something similar, so it can,t be seen.....and make sure its the first thing shut down if stopped or going by a LEOeek.gif

Some of the local Leos also have Radar detector-detectors eek.gifso make sure yours is VG2 protected.

Lazers are few and far between in this part of VA

I personally know people that have been using radar detectors for years without problems grin.gif

ghaverkamp
Yes they are Illegal to have and operate in VA

Possession is not illegal in Virginia.

however,there is a unwritten "rule of Thumb" most LEOs adhere to:

As long as the detector is unplugged/with the cord stored where it would be impossible to plug it in while riding/driving,they overlook it.

It's not unwritten at all. See subsection B below.

Here's the Virginia statute:

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded

A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.

This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.

Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.

B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.

C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.

D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

Greg

WHAT??????

frown.gif

It's only illegal if your caught.

It's not unwritten at all. See subsection B below.

Good to know they put it in print thumbsup.gif

At one point in time,the officer would give you the choice of going to court to explain to the judge why you had a detector.....or you could drive over the detector and just get a speeding ticket bncry.gif

Archived