IGNORED

Zen Moments

GregsARed

Sitting atop Pikes Peak might make for a perfect Zen Moment, if it weren't for the fact that it's the most visited mountain in America (2nd most in the world).

Anybody know of another Mnt Peak accessible by a sport touring RT that could offer me a seat on top of the world and some tranquility? Any of the other Peaks in CO.?

Because there's no space left on the RT for climbing gear after I pack the rest of my travelling essentials, I'd like to be able to ride the RT up close to the top.

I would love to spend the time with a walking stick hoofing it along a trail up to the peak, but again because of the limited space on the RT and I'm not comfortable with leaving my fully loaded bike out of view for so long, I can't enjoy the full experience of such a hike.

Anybody been where I'd like to go?

Mt. Evans, just 80 miles north of there. It is 14K feet and paved all the way. Highest paved highway in America.

motoguy128

I thought the top of Independance Pass was pretty cool too... and with light traffic it's a fun little road in & out of Aspen.

Really, every mountain pass was unique and had an interesting view going up and down.

Beartooth pass on Highway 212 near the Wyoming/Montana state line (south of Red Lodge Montana).

Mapquest it. Zoom in. Ride there. Be amazed on top of the world.

I don't think you can have a 'Zen Moment'* in a pass - he needs a mountain top.

*I know, I know, let's not go there.

Not sure if i'm having a Zen Moment, could just be my underwear riding up. :grin:

My bike is parked about fifty yards away though, you can tell by how out of breath I look. :eek:

100_6473.jpg

Pat

Paul Mihalka
Pffft, call that a mountain! I'm higher than that right now.

pokenest.gif

Don't underestimate Mt. Washington...
JustKrusen

Mt Evans is a paved road all the way to the top. A walking trail will take you to the very top. Definitley a zen type of experience. And there were only a few people their when I last visited. Seems most people only know about Pikes Peak.

Paul Mihalka
Don't underestimate Mt. Washington...
I've been there, it's almost as windy as Torrey.
If they let you up, it is because it was a calm day...

The summit of Mount Washington still holds the record for highest recorded wind speed, 236 mph I believe. So don't let the mediocre height fool you.

I was going to suggest the summit of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park in Maine. First place to see sunrise in the US. The views are very "Zen" provoking but it's only 1300' high. Hardly a bump to you guys...

Thanks for all the input guys:

Beartooth Pass, I wouldn't be the first to say it may be the most beautiful,

Independance Pass, part of a favored route through CO.

The biggest challenge in getting to the peak of Mt. Washington is Chicago and the rest of the toll system in Ill., a challenge too often encountered in my travels to the east.

I'm going to head to Mt. Evans, try to hit it on a weekday. Maybe pickup a harmonica along the way, for that Zen moment.

:Cool:

Archived