IGNORED

Aux on 12RT Radio

BereIsland

Fotis - I am using a Starcom unit and have custom earplugs with speakers built in and the volume through these is acceptable for me while driving - It is not over loud, but good enough using things this way. I have a "Boostaroo" amplifier on order which should arrive early this coming week and will report on this when I get it thumbsup.gif

I really wanted to hard wire my Ipod to my Aux. port, but after hearing about the volume problem I'm going to stick with my Itrip FM transmitter. It works great, and the volume is nearly the same as regular FM reception.

I tried a fm transmitter and was very dissapointed with the quality of reception. I am much happier with the AUX particularly now that I have a boostaroo between the player and the aux input.

If the Itrip works for you, then, great!!

Rob

Thanks for the previous advice. I have an iTrip which I use in my car. It also works on the bike. The problem is that you have to retune the FM station as you move around which is not practical on long trips. Using it locally is fine though.

The BMW car part identified is £40 - horrendous for a plug with a wire on it! Before I splash out, it is the right part I assume?

Can you also tell me what your pre-amp is, where you got it and how much it cost. Does it need a power supply and where is it mounted?

Thanks for the help.

Dick

Gadgetgaz & Dick

The volume is much better with the Boostaroo - not ear blasting, but with the volume of the MP3 player at max, I reckon the radio is about 75%. I do have custom earplug speakers so I don't need the same volume as you would if relying on the bike's loudspeakers!! Overall, while I am now happy with the addition of the AUX, I would like to have the same volume levels so no adjustment was necessary when switching between radio and AUX and I WOULD like BMW to actually be even somewhat helpful on the matter rather than the stonewalling to date.

If I had their "Customer service" people in Germany near me I would hang tham from the nearest tree!!!

Dick, the amp is a "Boostaroo" unit which gives approx +40% and can be got from http://www.pjbox.co.uk/ - They are very helpful and delivery was 2 days cost £16 approx

Rob

Thanks for the inform on the Boostaroo. I have just splashed out on the car part and will see what happens! Its on sale or return so I should be OK.

Is there any information available to tell me how to dismantle the plastics? On the R11S, the manual had that info; on the RT, nothing. Any thoughts?

Dick

Dick,

None that I am aware of - just beware that the two screws in front of the cylinder heads are a larger size torx. If you use the same as for the rest you will ring the internal torx!! You just need to follow the manner in one of my previous posts on this subject.

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

• 2 months later...

Greetings all,

I have been pursuing the problem of the low volume on the AUX in and have found out the following:

1) BMW are to launch a "BOX" which will allow communication between rider and pillion via their bluetooth helmets (Only the helmet has come out now and it only allows phone interface until the "box" appears)This "box" wont come out until April or May of 2006 at the earliest.

2) This "box" will also have an input for a MP3 player - and , I suspect will have a pre-amp in it so as to solve the volume issue. It will also mean the radio output will go to the helmet via bluetooth.

3) It is likely to cost quite a bit (after all the kit for the System 5 is well over €200 per helmet) - I suspect that it is unlikely to be a competitive alternative to the wired systems such as Autocom or Starcom.

I have also found that, by putting a 2X5W amp at full power between the mp3 player (in my case a Sony NW5 HD) and the AUX IN the volume on the radio need NOT be changed AT ALL when switching between radio and aux!!! The part is a Canadian kit produced by Cana Kit and their reference is CK-154 or UK-154 if you want the amp already built - cost approx $20!!!. The amp is small enough to mount inside the radio box on the bike and a friend of mine who really knows about sound etc. is going to wire it in permanently for me, taking the power from the fan so the amp is on whenever the radio is on!! I will post pics of this operation in the next week or so.

We have established that the heat produced from this kit is negligible, so it will be perfectly happy living in the radio box.

This now solves the problem and will allow attachment of MP3 players through the AUX at a much lower cost that the "BOX" - remember bluetooth is a small bandwith carrier and the sound will NOT be Hi-Fi by that route!! clap.gifgrin.gif

i've send an email to Becker in france (i have some contacts). Maybe i will be able to have more info.

Rob, there is some automotive prototype using bluetooth with stereo audio transmission.

Michel

You probably have seen my post above in which Becker said they could not help as they are contractually tied to BMW and cannot give out any info on OEM radio equipment. In any event, the wired-in preamp at $20 seems to me to be the most cost effective solution to the problem. I have little doubt that the BMW solution will be hundreds of dollars!!!!

Yes I believe you can get stereo via bluetooth, it just is pretty restricted due to the bandwidth and, I am told the quality suffers as a result. Again I believe the costs of the bluetooth solution are too high at present to be a realistic alternative to my Starcom + additions!!

Nonetheless, If you can find out how to increase the volume of the AUX in without using the Amp, I would DEFINITELY like to know!!

Cheers!

Im sick of poor quality music through the FM modulator. I just want to plug the i-pod into a socket and get on with life.

Will this ever happen ?

Heres hoping that you more knowledgeable guys will resolve the issue.

Awaiting in anticipation.

Regards

Spiro,

The problem IS solved - I will post pics of the install next week. You need a BMW part - 65 1201 53501 and a CanaKit part UK-154 -Total cost approx $70. The BMW part is split and wired to the amp with the socket plugged in to the back of the radio - the amp input to a socket on the side of the bike. The MP3 player is plugged in with a standard 3.5mm lead and-- Voila! press the radio mode to AUX and enjoy!! thumbsup.gif

Guys,

Patience!!! (it is still a virtue!!!)

I HAVE the solution and this week will install it in the bike. We have already wired up the amp in-line with the BMW connector to the radio and established that it IS the solution. My friend (the REAL expert on this) and I now need the time to pull the bike apart and install the Amp in the radio box. While we (he) is doing this I will take photos so you can all see what was done.

Give us till the end of the week and it will be posted!

Meantime, as I said before, you will need the BMW Car part 65 1201 53501 which is the Aux lead for the radio and the CanaKit part UK-154, which is the 2X5watt amplifier.

Cheers! grin.gif

Am I pushing my luck in asking that the idiot proof photos that you will be sending start from the absolute beginning .. such as removal of the radio itsself etc.,

Im trying to be patient ... but it hurts.

Thanks thumbsup.gif

Spiro

The deed is to be done on Wed evening! I will photograph after removing the side panel - I assume everyone can get that far!!

It may be better to have a file of photos which I will e-mail to whoever wants them rather than bung up the board with a lot of photos. I will post when they are available and we'll take it from there. --Spiro, you should have the photos by Friday at latest!!

thumbsup.gif

OK Guys - the deed is done and it works flawlessly!! In order to make sure that no warranty issues can arise we decided to mount the amp behind the black plastic part of the RHS top side panel. The power for the amp is taken from the back of the plug for the accessory socket (as recommended by BMW)The AUX lead for the radio is plugged in as per the instructions with the part and the output from the Amp is plugged in to the the BMW part with a 3.5mm connector so the BMW part is not altered or modified in any way AT ALL!!

I have photographed the work done apart from the removal of the side panel and the attaching of a power lead to the accessory plug which I would expect everybody to be able to do.

I think it is better to have anybody interested in the photos and the instructions (as best as I can do) to e-mail me on rsyme@eircom.net and I will forward the file (there are 26 photos which I have downsized as much as I can but the file is 6Mb!) I don't have a website to put them on --yet -- so, if someone wants to do this, please e-mail me!

Spiro - I know it is probably Friday now with you so I will deliver on my promise of Friday!!

thumbsup.gif

• 6 months later...

Rob,

Great write-up. I just finished adding the cable to the radio and your instructions worked great. I plan to use an XM rather than an MP3 but it should work the same. Even though the XM has a software "volume" control, I have the same low volume condition that you found with the MP3 so will add the amp. I bought the recommended amp and am going to make the mod to remove the pots but have one question. You indicated that you need the full volume of the amp which requires replacing the 0 to 20K pot with a 20K fixed resistor. Unless I'm missing something, that will result in the "minimum" volume out of the amp, not "maximum". A direct short (wire)replacing the pot would result in the maximum. If the 20K resistor achieved the required result, that's what I'll go with but would appreciate some clairification. Thanks again,

johnlt

I followed Rob's advice and I am very happy with my Garmin 2730 amplified through the factory radio aux mode. When I ordered the Canakit amp, I asked them to factory install resistors sized for maximum volume in place of the pots. They will provide this service for a reasonable additional fee. Since I powered my 2730 from the bike's 12v system, I introduced a buzz that Rob did not experience (his MP3 player is self powered). This buzz what the result of a ground loop and required the installation of a ground loop isolator in the audio line from the GPS to the amp.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

• 9 months later...

I awaken this thread again.

I've read the whole thread and am impressed with the work. I also have a copy of the email installation.

I just picked up a zumo and am trying to do roughly the same thing. I've installed the BMW aux. in adapter. I plugged a spare MP3 player in and there is very little volume. I'm assuming the Zumo puts out the same.

Boostaroo.http://www.boostaroo.com/store_detail.php4?id=10

The original Boostaroo works with 16 to 32 ohm speakers. The Boostaroo Revolution works with 32-600 ohm speakers.

Question

Will the Boostaroo Revolution work any better than the regular?

Will the different impedance even work with the 12RT radio?

Most importantly. Will it be as loud as the radio or the CD?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

You will need an inline amp. One of the original threads on the subject gave the part number that is needed. The guys that came up with it are in the UK and the amp I believe was Canadian. I did the whole job and it works well with plenty of volume. My only complaint is that I do get a little engine noise and haven't found the source yet. It is not bad so I have put off chasing it. Overall the AUX function works well with my XM radio and allows me to use the handle bar mount controls. I plug my GPS directly into the aux port on my autocom via a splitter and don't go through the radio aux function. I don't need handlebar controls for the GPS.

Replacing the pots with the 20K resistors provides the MAX volume not the min. Trust me -- it works!!!

I am in the middle of installing this amp myself, and after studying the pictures Rob has on Pbase it clearly shows that the pots have been replaced with 20 ohm resistors NOT 20K (20000) ohm resistors.

I think Rob just made a typo in his post.

As stated before 20K ohm resistors would give min amp volume.

I replaced mine with 20 K ohm miniature trim pots that are just slightly larger (physically) than the fixed resistors. This way I can fine tune the gain to my liking when I install the amp.

Andy.

I emailed CanaKit Support about removing the volume controls. Here is their reply.

"Thanks for your interest. To set the volume to be on maximum volume at all times, you actually do not need to place a resistor. Instead, when looking at the unit from the front, the volume controls need to be removed and the middle and right points of where the volumes where situated need to be connected to each other. We are able to do this for a fee of $10. If you place the order online, please copy and paste this note in the comments area of the order form and we will process the order accordingly.

Thanks & Regards,

Medi

Cana Kit Corp."

I ordered the AmpliRider mini amp. I should have it in a week or so.

Next question

I currently have a shielded cable with 1/8" stereo (mini) connectors. This will run from my Zumo to the AmpliRider amp. Will this cable work since the Zumo is running off of the bike battery? Do I need this isolated interface cable from Autocom?

Autocom cable

• 3 weeks later...

FYI

I installed the Amplirider. I removed the volume control. It was 2 50k ohm variable resistors. Amplirider tech support told me to change out the resistors to increase boost. I changed to 100k as per their instructions and still don't have enough volume. They told me 400k resistors is the most boost the amp will do without problems. I've found 330k resistors at Radio Shack and will change them out when I can. I hope this works.

I wish I just would have went with the Canakit first

• 1 month later...
MarkEngland
Great work guys thumbsup.gif Be sure and keep us updated. Also if anyone want to explore and see which terminals are for the rear speakers it would be greatly appreciated wink.gif . I would like to connect a headphone jack to the rear audio so I can connect my ear mold speakers.

I did not find a response to the "rear speaker" connection question.

I would like to find the rear speaker Pins so I can connect an Autocom 1319 wire and use the Fade on my factory radio to move audio from the front speakers to the rear (which will be the Autocom and my headset).

If anyone knows the Pins for the rear speakers on the rear of the factory BMW radio, that would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Great work guys thumbsup.gif Be sure and keep us updated. Also if anyone want to explore and see which terminals are for the rear speakers it would be greatly appreciated wink.gif . I would like to connect a headphone jack to the rear audio so I can connect my ear mold speakers.

I did not find a response to the "rear speaker" connection question.

I would like to find the rear speaker Pins so I can connect an Autocom 1319 wire and use the Fade on my factory radio to move audio from the front speakers to the rear (which will be the Autocom and my headset).

If anyone knows the Pins for the rear speakers on the rear of the factory BMW radio, that would be great.

Thanks

Mark

Mark

The Pin numbers are 3, 6, 12 and 14. You will have to check which two are a pair.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Archived