IGNORED

Routes around the Un.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

[dude]

So, uh, we're like, not from the area... and, uh, you know, there's some good roads or something, near, uh, the rally... but you know, not the planned rides...

[/dude]

Can the Blue Ridge Parkway be ridden (without skyline) in a day? Should we skip some parts and "not miss" others in the interest of getting toward the end at the end of the day? That would put us near the Tail of the Dragon, yes? Anywhere to stay around there so we could ride it in the morning?

Would we be missing the greatest thing around if we skipped the Blue Ridge and headed straight for the 'tail?

Or should we skip it all and.... nevermind, Richard would never go for this option.

Paul Mihalka

IMHO: Forget the Tail of the Dragon. It is just a twisty road with a lot of crazies on it. If you are there, do it just you can say you did it. Not worth a side trip. Blue Ridge Parkway. It is about 470 not very fast miles. It can be done in a day but it is not the best way to do it. If you can schedule your ride to or from the UN to ride the BRP, it is well worth it.

Lots of good roads. In general, east-west roads cross mountains and north-south are valley runs. Look at 250 near the Un, 33 just to the north (visit Seneca Rocks), 39 between Goshen Va and Marlinton WV, 150 scenic, 66 through Cass WV, 311 near Roanoke Va, see the New River Gorge bridge on 19 near Fayetteville WV, Hawks Nest St Park near Gauley Bridge WV and so many more. Just trust your map, stay to the west of I81 except for the BRP, its hard to go wrong.

Tom,one of the rides covers about 35 miles of the BRP.That was included so you "left coasters" could get a taste of it.If you want to ride it farther it would be no problem to extend the route,and I can show you several ways to return.The rest of the routes are to the west of Staunton and cover the bits of the main roads,plus lots of the "back" roads, most folks passing thru never see.

You could also Ride it into or leaving the Unrally.

There are hundreds of roads in the area,its hard to pick a bad one clap.gif

If you have any questions on local roads ,PM me, and I'll try to help.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Thanks for the replies, so far. (keep 'em coming!) I saw that Skyline was north, and I heard somewhere that it was worth it. Is that part of any of the routes? I'm thinking the plan is to ride out down the BRP and then turn west once we hit the Tail of the Dragon.

I'm wondering if either roads are "worth" the effort. The BRP is "long" in that it has a low speed limit that seems to be enforced somewhat strictly. Spending a day to do this would be fun, but not make much progress toward the left coast and extend the length of riding for the other days left. The Tail of the Dragon seems like an interesting start to the next day, and it's short length wouldn't put us to far behind- if we bothered to stick to any schedule we make.

We have a limited amount of time to get there before the Un starts, and again are limited for the ride back. There's obviously a lot of chatter about these roads and I'm trying to weigh the costs/benefits.

I saw that Skyline was north, and I heard somewhere that it was worth it.

Skyline is just like the Blue Ridge EXCEPT the speed limit is 35, there is much more enforcement, and a recently increased entrance fee. Not worth it. Stick to the BRP.

I echo Old Fart's comment that the Parkway is long and not real fast. If you're going down near the Dragon by all means give it a run but I prefer the Cherohala Skyway between Robbinsville, NC and Tellico Plains, Tenn. It's about 50 miles of pure fun. They are close enough so you can do both easily at the begining of your day.

Should we skip some parts and "not miss" others in the interest of getting toward the end at the end of the day?

I was looking at some routes west of 81 that look to be as good (or better) than the BRP -- including VA 61 ("Wolf Creek Autobahn") and a side trip to Burkes Garden. Garmin file here.

Skyline Drive was not included in the routes,because of the low speed limits and enforcement,however one route picks up the BRP where Skyline Drive ends,so you could just as well go north on the Skyline if you choose.There are plenty of roads you can get back to the campground on.

My suggestion is, ride this end of the BRP while at the Un and when you leave, take a quicker road south and pick the BRP south of MT Mitchell, follow it down and then pickup the Dragon on the far end.You won't miss many changes thru Va until you get into the Smokies farther south and they are well worth riding.

steve.foote

Tom, don't miss the Cherohala Skyway. Take the Dragon southbound and continue 129 to Robinsville. Take the Cherohala west from there and you are at a launching point for more westward travel.

You've got to do the Dragon at least once. For many, that is enough. However, the Cherohala will leave you wanting to come back for more. thumbsup.gif

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Thanks!

On a side note, and this may change our ideas about riding in NC, I just found out (thank you Motorcycle Consumer News) the NC HOG group is doing a BRP Rally the same weekend. Rather than get frustrated with the possible limits of joining lots of loud cruisers cruzing, we may skip this altogether and look for other roads that point more westerly.

Of course, we generally don't make strict plans, and don't call them that until we scrap 'em. Which usually occurs about 30 minutes into a ride. Then it's plan b, even if we don't have one of those yet.eek.gif

Archived