IGNORED

'08 K12GT EWS Warning and Non-start

simflight

My 5500 mi K12gt won't start due to the computer not recognizing my key! Whats up when the security system keeps the rightful owner from starting/riding his new bike?! Anyone else experience this?

Another good place is over at: www.advrider.com/forums/

Enter "immobilizer ring" in the search function and behold you will get among others a thread that is 117 pages long on how great this system really is!

ShovelStrokeEd

BTW, you are not alone, as a BMW rider, in this issue. Both Honda and Kawasaki have similar problems.

BTW, you are not alone, as a BMW rider, in this issue. Both Honda and Kawasaki have similar problems.

Why does that not make me feel better?

ShovelStrokeEd

The technology doesn't quite seem to be up to snuff just yet. Many cars have had it for years but typically their stuff doesn't have to run in such close proximity to ignition components and quite possibly a poorly shielded engine management computer.

It sucks when it happens as, if you don't have a spare antenna ring ready to plug in, you are just gonna be sitting by the side of the road with your thumb up.

I don't have the issue with my bike but, if I were the owner of a new BMW and had this type of failure, I would simply walk away from the bike, call the dealer and tell him to come fetch it and stop making payments until it was fixed.

What bothers me the most is the fact that the EWS system, the little idiot light to tell you when you need an oil change, the brake pad wear light, another whiz-bang thing that tells you when to check the the valve clearances are ALL just gimmicks to sell motorcycles!! There is nothing there to make a better motorcycle. For Christ's sake, BMW is into the third model year on the new "K" and they still don't have the computer dialed in. Have to replace ill-designed air boxes etc., but the god-damn brake pad warning system works great. At $125.00 for a set of pads that wear out in under 15K miles. I think my '04KRS will be my last BMW unless they have them right just as they come out of the box!!

Archived