IGNORED

Back from Torrey Check in

BadAdam

Just got in, Tuesday around 10AM. Left Torrey at 0-dark-30 on Sunday and made for Montrose, CO, to take care of some business. Left Montrose Monday at 10A and made Vegas by 8P. Rode home this morning.

Did I mention that everything from Cortez, CO to Vegas was at least 100 degrees, with a high of 108 for about six hours? Dang!

Still had a most spectacular ride. Huntington Canyon was unbelievable. UT-95 was its usual eye-popping self, and the CO-141/145 combo had corners that really tested my tires and my grit. The early part of my return trip, over LizardHead Pass in CO was breathtaking. However, if I never see Kayenta, AZ, again, I won't cry. Much the same for Page, AZ and Kanab, UT.

More to come.

PhillyFlash
However, if I never see Kayenta, AZ, again, I won't cry. Much the same for Page, AZ and Kanab, UT.

I agree. Monument Valley is fine. But once you pass MV and have to ride through Kayenta, and then the VERY long, boring route to Flagstaff, or up to Page, it's pretty grueling. It doesn't matter how fast you go (and we tested this theory out on Sunday), it still seems to take forever. And if you're sick of Kayenta, give Tuba City a try sometime.

Just made it to Greenfield, Indiana (east of Indianapolis). Left Topeka, Kansas at 5:30 this morning. Got progressively cooler along the way east, and had to stop and put on my heated vest. No rain, though.

Arrived back home at 2:30 this afternoon. Left Torrey on Monday at first light. Monday's 850 miles was much easier than today's 650.

Great scenery, great weather, great riding, but most of all...great people!

More to come.

Firefight911
Spent night at the "Clown Motel" in Tonopah ( 1bmwfan recommendation). Quite an experience.

MB>

"Funny" place, huh! :/ Oh boy, there sounds like there's a story in there!!

We left Torrey on Sunday. Spent the night in Bishop and home to LA by 12:30 on Monday.

Great weekend. Thanks to Al's earpieces, I was enjoying my music and conversations with Charles a lot more.

I already have reservations for September.

See you all then.

lawnchairboy

not home yet.... :grin:

memphis last night, tire and oil this morning, the Z-6 gave up the ghost after being properly ROASTED following Az Al, Azkomet, philly flash and gary on the naked K bike (chili dip?) down UT-95 with our collective hair on fire. In sweetwater, tn tonite.

I just hate that the cherohala skyway is between me and home...after coming through ALL the weather on the way out I think my karma is better now.

should get home tomorrow...

Just got in about 2:00.

Nice leisurely ride home. Enuf wind to complain about in the past, but after the ride out a week ago, well... :)

I had a great time.

Saw old friends and made new ones.

It was a treat to see Bad Adam and Steve McKinley, both of whom I haven't seen in 5+ years.

Oh, got to say hi to Steve Carr too! (Quick! before he leaves!)

UT95 and UT12 still two of my favorite roads. Beautiful.

This was Torrey #6 for me. Once each year 'cept 04. Maybe I should consider coming out in the fall too.

:):):)

Just walked in the door. 8:15pm. Weather was good all the way.

5,614 miles give or take a 100. Worth every mile. Great seeing

everyone, will post pictures soon.

Once each year 'cept 04. Maybe I should consider coming out in the fall too.

:):):)

I Think that's a great idea! Glad your home safe and sound. Was real nice getting to visit with you.

n

Mr and Mrs Whip are home......it was a long day.

We left Albuquerque around 9am.(we stayed up late watchin the Spurs game)....got here 11pm.

I did get to talk with a nice DPS officer out side Van Horn.

Story and pix to follow.

I miss everyone already.

Whip

BeniciaRT_GT

Home,

A usual Torrey: unpredictable weather (and people:dopeslap: ,) not near enough time, wonderful folks (mostly! not so much Russell though) , and amazing roads.

Although I got to make this one a much longer than normal Torrey event, I still couldn't get enough of Y'all and the place.

Wind and heat was horrible across 50, but that is pretty standard.

What a great little 2800 mile trip and great people. This Torrey seemed a little different from others, possibly because there weren't any BMWSportTouring official Cat Herders? (What do you think Whip, is that it?)

Several ride tails to follow, but it will probably be more than a week.

Finally home. Rolled in last night around 9:30 p Eastern and promptly spent some quality time with Janet and the ladies.

Three 800 plus mile days and the RT performed flawlessly, thanks again Greg for a great machine.

It was great to meet everyone and put some faces to the names.

The highlight of the ride home was riding past 500+ bikes on I-70 travelling on the "Run to the Wall". They actually stopped traffic on I-70 to let them pull on to the highway. Pretty crazy overall.

Thanks again Killer for the hospitality!

Now, back to work for me.

Thad

I did get to talk with a nice DPS officer out side Van Horn.

Whip

Didn't you get stopped there last time you went through that area? I guess some people are just faster learners than others...

Thought those that enjoyed the great weather last weekend might like an update. High was 87 on Tuesday, low 61 Tuesday night, currently 40F and starting to snow Wednesday 11am! Life in the mountains...

That high pressure that inundated the west with 100 degree heat totally made a perfect Torrey! Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

I've now made it to beautiful (OK, so I exaggerate a bit) Olean, New York. It was a rather cool ride (high 30s to low 40s) from just east of Indianapolis - about 550 miles. It was sunny when I left, but overcast most of the day with. The skies threatened rain, but none ever came. I finally got off the interstate for several hours of two-lane roads in Pennsylvania. Great way to see the countryside, but not so great for making time.

I'll be home tomorrow, after an easy ride of only 360 miles.

lawnchairboy

Mission accomplished. Left sweetwater, tn at odarkthirty, passed two cars on the cherohala. A ton of debris on the road from the storms up there right now.

In NC at 1600. 5300 miles, 12 days, 82 hours of saddle time according to the GPS which also recorded a max speed of 205????. I think Gary might have approached that on his K12R...

V-1 paid for itself two times today between Durham and home.

Tale and pics to follow.

great to meet the new to me west coasters and see some familiar east coasters. I miss UT-95 and the west coasters already.

PhillyFlash
In NC at 1600. 5300 miles, 12 days, 82 hours of saddle time according to the GPS which also recorded a max speed of 205????.

Yes, I believe that speed is correct. If I'm not mistaken, after we came out of the red rock canyon, across the bridge, and through the high speed mile long sweepers, we passed the 200 mph mark. Granted, it was a slight downhill grade, and Dave, Greg, and Gary were chasing me down, but I do remember you closing fast; so 205 sounds just about right. These R1200RTs definately have a bit more oomph than my old 1100.

It was good meeting you and riding with you on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Arrived back home wishing that I had stayed a few days longer in Torrey. My thermometer read 113 degrees at its greatest going through Vegas and points toward Baker. I hate the heat--dry or damp, I hate it. I think that I suffered from heat stroke.....looking forward to the next Torrey....had a great time, especially getting to Fairview. On the way home, I think that I saw more deer, dead and alive, than ever before in my life. One deer, one of the live ones, nearly got Carl as we were on approach to the left turn to Koosharem (I probably mizpeld that). Luckily, Carl was packing heat and shot the bugger between the eyes with his .22; jk, peacniks.

Calvin  (no socks)

Back Home! I had a great week in Torrey...Felt like a local at the Chuckwagon for coffee....Had a great time!

Lone_RT_rider
Yes, I believe that speed is correct. If I'm not mistaken, after we came out of the red rock canyon, across the bridge, and through the high speed mile long sweepers, we passed the 200 mph mark.

Mitch has told me stories about riding with you, Gleno, Russell and others over sweeper madness in 2004.... 200 mph?... This... I might buy. :)

Joe Frickin' Friday
Yes, I believe that speed is correct. If I'm not mistaken, after we came out of the red rock canyon, across the bridge, and through the high speed mile long sweepers, we passed the 200 mph mark.

Mitch has told me stories about riding with you, Gleno, Russell and others over sweeper madness in 2004.... 200 mph?... This... I might buy. :)

Believe it. You know I'm not averse to nailing it on the straights...and I was bringing up the rear of this pack, yelling "hey guys...wait up..."

Mom and I are home after visiting a slew of UT parks, Monument Valley, and DV. Pics to come.

Valley of the Gods:

299622632_WA5Ec-L.jpg

Arches...

299622662_rEmDt-L.jpg

I'm finally home after five days. Somebody turn the heat up in the east. It's been pretty cool for the last two days. When I started out today from Olean, NY it was in the 30s. Today was wet as well. I think I could use some more of that Utah sun right now.

MysteryMan

Well I finally made it back Home!

Phoenix it was 112 degrees.

North of Flagstaff winds of 60+ mph.

Tuba City was sand storm(slow down 15mph).

Rain for the next 500 miles.

Snow storm on Vail Pass.

Tornado in Fort Collins(home).

Looking forward to my next Torrey adventure!

I'm finally home after five days. Somebody turn the heat up in the east. It's been pretty cool for the last two days. When I started out today from Olean, NY it was in the 30s. Today was wet as well. I think I could use some more of that Utah sun right now.

It's been snowing quite a bit today...
...I did get to talk with a nice DPS officer out side Van Horn.
You and them DPS types got quite a little thing goings on don'cha? And the misses don't get jealous neither? mmmmmmmmm

johnny2wheels

Mark;

Glad to hear you made it home safe; enjoyed riding with and talking to you at the capitol reef. Hope to see you in Torrey again.

John

Whip... does mean you get to go to Ding-Dong School?

I had an unplanned meeting with DPS in Beorne one time... the school was done by a comedian... even got a dinner out of it.

See you next time.

Mark;

Glad to hear you made it home safe; enjoyed riding with and talking to you at the capitol reef. Hope to see you in Torrey again.

John

Thanks John. Same here.

barryNmarin

I made it back home last night around 8pm. After Torrey, I spent 3 days in Grand Jct., CO Mt. biking w/my brother on some amazing trails. Left Wednesday morning and rode for 2 days in the snow and rain across Utah, Nevada and CA. I lucked out and they opened Tioga Pass on Wednesday so I rode over the pass in a light snow storm and dropped down into Yosemite to check out the falls roaring from the spring runoff. They didn't disappoint!

It was another great Torrey. By the way, did anyone see Stubble and his Mom at Torrey? I totally missed them. Bummer!

I hope to post some photos but don't hold your breath.

Made it home OK with my R100GS running on 1 cylinder (fuel problem). Jerry (Flying Eagle) was riding with me and hit a 4x4 in the road just outside of Delta. We had to have the bike (K1200GT) towed to Salt Lake where they are currently replacing the front and back rims plus the entire final drive. He's OK (very lucky). He managed to keep the bike up. Getting it on the tow truck with the rear end locked up was fun, but we did it.

Marty Hill

Hey Thor,

Wow! Quite a trip/glad it ended fairly well for both of you.

PM me your phone #.

barryNmarin

Thor/Jerry, glad you guys are ok. Too bad about Jerry's GT. That will certainly make for an interesting chapter in you Ride Journal.

By the way, did anyone see Stubble and his Mom at Torrey? I totally missed them. Bummer!

I met up with them in Delta and we rode in together via sweeper madness but then they vanished and I never saw them again....

51508b006dx8.jpg

PhillyFlash
200mph... in my dreams!

If you didn't have so much wind in your eyes riding that naked bike, you would have seen 200, too. I think you passed me doing 210. At least, that's my story for today.

By the way, did anyone see Stubble and his Mom at Torrey? I totally missed them. Bummer!

I met up with them in Delta and we rode in together via sweeper madness but then they vanished and I never saw them again....

We got in friday eve with Nick, but missed dinner at the CW so we ended up at capitol reef for dinner. Hung out a bit on Saturday eve, doing laundry, but didn't see many people there, must have been out riding! :) Then we made tracks eastward on Sunday morning. Next time I'm going to stay at the CW. I got to see quite a few folks briefly, but missed a lot of you. :(

Hung out a bit on Saturday eve, doing laundry, but didn't see many people there, must have been out riding! :)
Held a dinner place for you at the Rim Rock on Saturday evening but you didn't show, there were probably 25 of us there...

Made it home on Thursday. From Torrey went down to Page, AZ for the Antelope Canyon tour. Pretty neat. From there to Zion on Monday. To Tonopah on Wednesday. Way too windy and chilly. I stayed at the Jim Butler Inn. I walked down the street for dinner and had to struggle to make the distance against the wind.

Thursday I left Tonopah and rode through more wind, more rain, more hail, more snow, and repeat all again and again. Got into Lee Vining cold and ready to get some warm food in me. 120, Tioga Pass, was open through Yosemite and it was a great ride. At least it stopped snowing while I was eating so I didn't have any more of that to go through. The ride over the pass was nice as the roads were pretty clear with only a few spots slushy and or gravelly (if that is a word). When I got to Crane Flat, the road was actually worse because of all the sand. Sand all the way out of the park.

The next adventure was as I approached Oakdale. I could see smoke in the air from miles away. And then, about 3-4 miles out of town, traffic stopped and I got turned around. They weren't letting anyone through due to some big fire. Had to go back about 25 miles and then try to find an alternate way home. GPS was not really helping as it kept trying to re-route me back to Oakdale. Eventually found my way to Hwy 4 and took it into Stockton and eventually made it home around 6:00pm. A very long day for me.

Once I get a chance, I'll post some pictures. That may take awhile.

It was great meeting everyone!

I'm still digesting all the flavor of my first Torrey! The memories of all those great rides and wonderful new folks will keep me motivated until the next one in September. Finally got home last night after an extented return trip. Left last Sunday morning with Howard and the gang, but just couldn't keep up. Did my own thing through Flagstaff and then down to Sedona. With lighter tourista traffic than usual, I cruiaws up to Jerome and down into Prescott Valley, where I spent till Wednesday night with folks. By then the weather had cooled WAY down for the ride home. Went out 89 to 70 west, on to Vegas (70 degrees), up thru Beatty with headwinds all the way, then over the pass on 266/168 for a little rain and snow flurries but a great ride, and into Bishop. Took off Friday AM on 395 and it was cold and windy with occassional light rain, fog and snow. Stopped in to see the folks at Sierra BMW in Reno, then took 80 over the Sierras. More spotty rain and snow up to Truckee, then mostly clear for the rest of the ride home. My new-to-me RT handled great, especially the heated grips.

Now to start planning for the UnRally!

Held a dinner place for you at the Rim Rock on Saturday evening but you didn't show, there were probably 25 of us there...

:(

Our laundry was still spinning and we didn't want to leave it in case they closed up. We ended up having a late and somewhat disappointing meal at Diablo that night. They were so busy it took forever to get a table, and then they had to go out and kill the ingredients for the meal! :)

I too was very disappointed in El Diablo. IMHO I thought it was very expensive, service was ok but slow and the food, although excellent in presentation, was very mediocre. I'll probably try it again but it for sure this time it wasn't a home run; it was barely a single.

Archived