IGNORED

Bent F800ST Dipstick?

Ben_Ricci

Has anyone else experienced a bent dipstick. I was checking the oil on our F800ST this evening and noticed the dipstick is curved and apparently impacting something inside the engine case as it has an area that is "ground" or filed near the bottom.

Photos:

295400963_maJ9A-S.jpg

295400970_cAShG-S.jpg

295400974_mWGQm-S.jpg

TIA.

Ben

Firefight911

That's a new one!!! I'll go look at Jamie's and see if I notice anything like this on hers.

That's a known issue, Ben, although the bend might be a little new. (See f800riders.org for more information). You'll need a new dipstick I think. Seems that the stick can be inserted incorrectly, so that it veers off the straight line path into the sump, which causes something to grind away at the end of it. When you get a new (straight) one, be very careful when inserting it into the sump, so that it goes straight down into the correct aperture.

Dave.

Thanks Dave. The f800riders.org folks suggested straightening it out and re-inserting it correctly. Guess I missed the mark last time I checked the oil. I'll try that first and then see about getting a new one when the bike needs service.

Archived