IGNORED

Alaska's gravel roads on an RT?

AviP

Would it be right to ride an R1100RT on Alaska's gravel roads. I am considering riding from NYC to Alaska which I'm sure is all paved. Once I get there I do plan to go to all the corners possible which probably means lots of loose or packed gravel. Does an RT make sense? I have never ridden a dirt bike before but I have ridden the RT on loose gravel in Newfoundland. And while the first 15 minutes was unnerving, the next 45 was a blast and I felt totally in control.

I have 6K miles on the current tires and would need new ones by the time I get to Anchorage. So perhaps I switch to knobby tires in Anchorage. Is that possible and does it make sense? Obviously I don't want to buy a GS.

I am not sure whether others have experienced this, but some of the aggregate used in asphalt North of 60 is very flinty (sharp).

I found my tires wore very prematurely on my last trip to Alaska.

There may have been other factors but I am just saying...

I did the whole thing on an Aspencade, including all the way up to Inuvik on the Dempster, in 1987 when there was still a lot more gravel than there is now - why would an RT have any problem?

If you do, be prepared for a bunch of stone chips on the tupperware. Also, rather than knobbies, how about some Tourances or Anakees as a good compromise.

RichEdwards
I found my tires wore very prematurely on my last trip to Alaska.

Yep. Enter Alaska with new rubber and prepare to replace those tires shortly after leaving. :(

Two RT riders who went with me in '05 needed to replace the rear tires on their bikes before they finished touring Alaska.

I did the whole thing on an Aspencade, including all the way up to Inuvik on the Dempster, in 1987 when there was still a lot more gravel than there is now - why would an RT have any problem?

Killer, knock it off, will ya? My wife reads this forum from time-to-time and I've almost got her convinced that I need a GS for Alaska trip next summer :D I've got the dealer in St. Louis keeping his eye out for a good, used, pre-farkled one. :thumbsup:

In truth it was terrible, I was afraid at every turn in the road, the tyres slipped on every bump and I was lucky to make it out alive...
motorman587

I ditto with new rubber. I left Florida with new rubber, and kept the old ones. When you get home you can slap those on again. Gravel roads with an RT will not be a problem. Did with an LT and wish I had an RT............ Enjoy the trip, do not sweat it.

motoguy128
If you do, be prepared for a bunch of stone chips on the tupperware. Also, rather than knobbies, how about some Tourances or Anakees as a good compromise.

I've considered riding more gravel roads on my R1200RT, but I'm worried about punctures on the relatively soft sport touring tires. But I've never seen any Dual sport radials that fit the R1200RT's rims. They usually want a 19" front wheel.

EDIT... I found some Pirelli's and some Avon AM43/44's that will fit the 17" wheels. the rear is a 160, but I assume it will fit hte 5.5" rear wheel just fine. Would this work? This might be a question for the Hexheads forum. What would tire wear be like? How much vibration at freeway speeds? I suppose it would be the same as the R1200GS in that regard. It seemed fine to me.

Francois_Dumas

Killer, knock it off, will ya? My wife reads this forum from time-to-time and I've almost got her convinced that I need a GS for Alaska trip next summer :D I've got the dealer in St. Louis keeping his eye out for a good, used, pre-farkled one. :thumbsup:

ROFL !!!! Didn't know you need excuses ! :grin:

All good info. Please keep it coming.

I can't find Anakees or Tourances in 160/60-18 or 150/70-18. There seems to be a fair number of dual sport tires for the 17" front wheel but none for the odd size 160/60-18 rear wheel.

motoguy128

Try this:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/5374/ITEM/Metzeler-MCE-Karoo-2-Rear-Tire.aspx

The Metzler Karoo comes in 150/70R18

You would however, I think need to mismatch with a Avon AM43 or Pirelli MT-60R front tire to get a 17" front which would have a little less grip.

There's lots of others in 18", but they are for tube tires.

Definitely more options for a 17" rear.

Sorry I just picked up this thread.

I think the biggest factors in declining order of importance for successful AK haul road travel are:

1. skill and confidence of rider on gravel and slick surfaces

2. weather and road grading activity

3. tires

4. mechanical condition of whatever bike you have

5. type of bike (LT,RT,GS,KLR650,goldwing,HD softail etc)

People who did the trip in decent weather with no active grading going on almost always have a great trip on anything. Otherwise, you may or may not have problems depending on the factors above and lady luck.

It is a beautiful trip though. If you can afford to take your time and optimize the factors it should be one of the highlights of your Alaska trip.

Good luck,

Dave

Archived