IGNORED

2009 F800R?

Bill Neander

• 2 months later...

Last I heard this design was scrapped in favor of a 2010 model with the GS's steel trellis frame due to the aluminum one shown above being to pricey. We'll see.

bmw-f800r-2007.jpg

That looks pretty cool! I don't think there is any reason to doubt the eventual release of an F-800-R. Although it seems to me it would be cheaper to make use of as many components as possible from the F-800-S, and F-800-ST to reduce costs. Why develop a whole new frame when they already have a one?

True, but this picture has the frame/engine from the S, ST models. The frame/engine for the GS are specific to that model in part due the desire to have the cylinders almost vertical for front tire clearance under suspension compression. To develop a another frame for a specific model that shares so many components with other bikes in the line-up, to me, doesn't seem like a good idea.

The bike in the picture is a one-off by a dealer in Europe, shown in 2007, using R1200R components to finish the front end.

The F800R BMW has announced as a prototype uses the GS components. So, BMW will offer 5 F800 based models using only two different chassis.

Archived