IGNORED

'86 K100 - What to look out for?

NonComp

What kind of maintenance issues would one look out for on an '86 K100 that has 45K miles on it? How easy is it to get parts for these bikes relative to the R models?

With 45k, nothing in particular. Although a spline might be in order depending upon when it was last done.

Easy to get parts - both new and used.

I hear the speedo on the K100 breaks. A buddy has the 85 K100 and he is on his 3 speedo I believe. The bike has over 300K miles on it and they are darn near bulletproof from what he and other people tell me. Go for it man.

bmw_rider

Rear axle seal if it has been sitting that much, spline lube is the biggy. Spedo thing is true for the early K's, I have 60000 on mine and it is still fine.

I have one that I rode daily to work and on long trips for the past 4-1/2 years (got my new GT only 2 weeks ago).

Parts for the K100 are all readily available. No big issues. Splines can be an issue if the splines were not greased with the right grease, as can rear wheel bearings so check them out.

Generally, however, these bikes last forever. Mine, with 200,000 km on it doesn't burn a drop of oil. Great, reliable bikes.

I have an '85, purchased new in 03/86. Has 172,666 miles. Here's a few things. The early K's didn't have the "K1" upgraded output shaft gear/damper unit. (This is "inside" the oil sump, meshes with the crankshaft, to "output" to the tranny.) The steel gear was riveted to the aluminum housing using only 6 (i think) steel rivets. These eventually will wear, and become "sloppy" so the bike sounds like a diesel engine..you know, the clack..clack..clack..at idle. This happened shortly after the 3 year warranty period, and back then was, as i remember, about $800 to "upgrade". (Dealer fix). Still running on the original speedo, yet have had to re-solder the trace wires. (this is the "common" cause for the "failure" mentioned). Had to replace the final drive seal a few years back, and the tranny about 10 yrs ago around 97K. Fork seals a couple times, yet I run with gators since new, and will help keep them "clean". Stearing head bearings a couple times (could probably use them again). Water/Oil Pump seal is also an issue, and just this past winter, had a broken valve spring, replaced all at that time. You're gonna be working on it..but riding it more than "maintaining" it.

P.S. Installed a "Hobbes"/hour meter upon new..has

4,271.6 HRS. That converts to an average of 40.422MPH

over the life of the machine. Regularly change oil every

2500mi or so. Have kept a WEEKLY LOG of miles ridden per week for the life of the machine, as well as every tire, filter, oil/fluid change...I could go into more detail, but don't want to get toooooooo ANAL... lmao.gifthumbsup.gif

Dennis Andress

• The little hose between the crankcase and airbox tears and the bike runs bad.
  • If gear oil gets into the swingarm the rubber damper in the driveshaft expands and lengthens the shaft until it gets too long and breaks the u-joint on an upswing...
  • The speedos collect moisture causing the electrical connections to corrode.
  • Steering bearings center spot pretty easily.
  • There are no O'rings between the intake stubs and the cylinder head in the early K's. The intake stub is supposed to seal on it's own but doesn't always.

There are tons of tips about early K's on ibmwr.org ....

Archived