IGNORED

A couple of things about Torrey for those who may not know

azkaisr

Hey all.

First of all we all tend to hang out around the CW during the day when not out riding. The CW has a general store that has most everything you need. The closest liquor store is somewhere West of Torrey but I have never been there though they tell me its nice cool.gif

The CW has laundry services for those on the road who need it.

Now some of us will be at Killer's for part of the weekend hanging out. YOU ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US. He is about 1/2 mile from the CW at most. This is where the libations mentioned in my other post get tasted. We also will have a few cars running folks back to the CW since we don't drink and drive...even in Torrey.

Oh and don't be shy introducing yourself. We won't be.

I am sure I am missing some stuff here that others will comment on.

Can't wait to meet you

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Hey all.

Now some of us will be at Killer's for part of the weekend hanging out. YOU ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US. He is about 1/2 mile from the CW at most.

God to hear about the laundry at the CW, as I'll be in town for 5 nights. As for Killer's place, do we draw a half-mile circle on the map around the CW and go searching for Killer's place? smile.gif

JerryMather
As for Killer's place, do we draw a half-mile circle on the map around the CW and go searching for Killer's place? smile.gif

He forgot to mention that ..... in order to be a part of Killer's Krew, you'll need to have plenty of sand paper with you and partake in a little hand rubbing of his deck before you get to any of the libations inside the Clubhouse. This is a must do for all Newbie's. lmao.gif

As for Killer's place, do we draw a half-mile circle on the map around the CW and go searching for Killer's place? smile.gif

He forgot to mention that ..... in order to be a part of Killer's Krew, you'll need to have plenty of sand paper with you and partake in a little hand rubbing of his deck before you get to any of the libations inside the Clubhouse. This is a must do for all Newbie's. lmao.gif

Good thing I'm not a newbie then. I was there last May for the first time. lmao.gif

Ha ha, the sanding project is off because the instigator is not coming to town, maybe in the fall...

My place is on River Rd (which due to some over officious government type is now signposted 520W). If you can find Sand Creek Rd just west of town River Rd is opposite it, little yellow house about 1/4 mile down on the right. Come on in.

My place is on River Rd (which due to some over officious government type is now signposted 520W). If you can find Sand Creek Rd just west of town River Rd is opposite it, little yellow house about 1/4 mile down on the right. Come on in.

Thanks for the invitation Killer (BTW, I sat at the same table as you around the CW pool last year during the Friday night BBQ. I was that good looking, incredibly witty Canadian ). lmao.gif

witty Canadian

Another oxymoron, just like British Gourmet. grin.gif

At least you didn't question my looks.

BeniciaRT_GT

Oh and don't be shy introducing yourself. We won't be.

Can't wait to meet you

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Tom didn't make a big deal of this but:

Please introduce yourself and jump in the little pockets of people that seem to form.

To many first timers, it can appear very "cliquish" This is not the case I promise, but it is, for many, the only time in a year old friends get to see each other, therefore many end up hanging out with folks they know and miss all year.

Never in the history of any of these BMWST events have I seen anyone who wasn't actually excited to meet fresh meat, er, uh, I mean new people, but it may not appear that way when you find yourself in the middle of the parking lot with a lot of little groups of people all over the place talking like they have been friends forever and not seeming to notice anyone else.

I can't describe how truly friendly, warm, and genuine these folks are, but you might have to take a tiny step in their/our direction. I try at every event to tear myself away from some dear friends to walk and meet folks I haven't met before, but it isn't easy sometimes. (Unless it is Whip, he's easy to want to run away from, but very hard to get away from!)

In particular, ask around about rides to take. There will be some very good opinions about what to do. You also should ask everyone about what oil they use...lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

See Y'all there!!!

Further information for those of you not familiar with Utah's funny liquor laws... Wine is sold only in state Liquor Stores. There is one to the West about 10 miles or so. The convenience store at Chuck Wagon has a pretty good selection of beer, but no wine.

While I have never seen, nor heard, of heavy enforcement in Torrey, be aware that the Gendarmes are quite serious about open containers of liquor. I, personally, would not give them the opportunity to brag back at the station house about busting this motorcycle dude for an open container of booze.

Not only that, if the bottle does not contain a Utah state liquor stamp, your ass is grass for bootlegging.

You have been warned.

PhillyFlash
First of all we all tend to hang out around the CW during the day when not out riding.

However, the true Torrey experience, just as the original intent of most of our gatherings, is to keep away during the day and be out riding. That seems to have changed over the years, but if you talk to any of the folks who attended the first 6 or so Torreys, the Chuckwagon was more like a ghost town until after 3 pm, when most of the riders started to trickle in.

The closest liquor store is somewhere West of Torrey but I have never been there though they tell me its nice.

Nice is a very relative term. But the proprietress is one of the most pleasant, warm, friendly people you'll meet. Be prepared to just hang out and engage in idle chit-chat.

No wheelies, stoppies, burn-outs, or speeding in town. We like the folks there to believe we're a nice, law-abiding, wholesome group.

Do not park under very tall, very old trees, particularly on windy nights, in front of Tom's room. If you're a noobie, just sit under the tree and ask Tom (or the Beav), why. (Be sure to wear your helmet.)

Beware of deer, everywhere!

Beware of cattle, especially between Boulder and Torrey.

Beware of cow pies and tar snakes, too. Both are slippery.

Further information for those of you not familiar with Utah's funny liquor laws... Wine is sold only in state Liquor Stores. There is one to the West about 10 miles or so. The convenience store at Chuck Wagon has a pretty good selection of beer, but no wine.

While I have never seen, nor heard, of heavy enforcement in Torrey, be aware that the Gendarmes are quite serious about open containers of liquor. I, personally, would not give them the opportunity to brag back at the station house about busting this motorcycle dude for an open container of booze.

Not only that, if the bottle does not contain a Utah state liquor stamp, your ass is grass for bootlegging.

You have been warned.

While not denying that all the above is technically true it has never been a problem in Torrey. The sheriff's deputies are good people who enjoy our company, as with any other law enforcement personnel just don't flaunt it in their face. They're definitely not the least bit interested in "bragging back at the station house", they're regular folk who happen to be deputies.

The liquor store is in Bicknell, 7 miles west of Torrey, surely the only state liquor store in Utah with a Peace sign on the window! Utah's retail liquor laws are the same as 17 other states and somewhat looser than a number of others (PA for example)

Joe Frickin' Friday
The liquor store is in Bicknell, 7 miles west of Torrey, surely the only state liquor store in Utah with a Peace sign on the window! Utah's retail liquor laws are the same as 17 other states and somewhat looser than a number of others (PA for example)

Just to confirm, you can still get beer (not hard liquor) at the Chuckwagon's General Store, right?

Just to confirm, you can still get beer (not hard liquor) at the Chuckwagon's General Store, right?
Same as always, you can get 3.2% (4.0) beer at the CW and the gas stations - but not the supermarket in Loa - their choice. If you want full strength beer you have to go to the liquor store and pay ($$$$ - $13 for a 6'er of Newcastle!)
Same as always, you can get 3.2% (4.0) beer at the CW and the gas stations - but not the supermarket in Loa - their choice. If you want full strength beer you have to go to the liquor store and pay ($$$$ - $13 for a 6'er of Newcastle!)

Did I mention Killer is buying the first round this year? wink.gif

Another thing. When you go to breakfast at the Capital Reef, don't expect Denny's. Actually don't expect anything to go to plan. But it will be a good story afterwards I bet.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

When you go to breakfast at the Capital Reef, don't expect Denny's. Actually don't expect anything to go to plan. But it will be a good story afterwards I bet.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Shocking News! I had breakfast there the other day with some guests and the service was efficient and accurate!
When you go to breakfast at the Capital Reef, don't expect Denny's. Actually don't expect anything to go to plan. But it will be a good story afterwards I bet.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Shocking News! I had breakfast there the other day with some guests and the service was efficient and accurate!
MUST OF BEEN AN OFF DAY lmao.giflmao.gif
Dennis Andress

Laney and I once asked a store clerk in Hurricane if they carried wine.... His response was "Why would you want that?????"

Dennis

. . .Please introduce yourself and jump in the little pockets of people that seem to form.

To many first timers, it can appear very "cliquish" This is not the case I promise, but it is, for many, the only time in a year old friends get to see each other, therefore many end up hanging out with folks they know and miss all year.

. . .I can't describe how truly friendly, warm, and genuine these folks are, but you might have to take a tiny step in their/our direction.

Thanks for the reminder. As a usually shy kind of person, this is pretty much what happened to me at my first (and only so far) Torrey a few years ago. I'll try to force myself to break into a group more this time around...

bakerzdosen

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Was Amy "working" there that morning? smile.gif

She won't have the chance to help them out this Spring as she won't be coming.

bakerzdosen
Laney and I once asked a store clerk in Hurricane if they carried wine.... His response was "Why would you want that?????"

Dennis

Oh, favorite story about wine in Utah:

So, a bunch of coworkers and I (most from San Joser, CA) had just finished up a big project here in Provo, so they wanted to celebrate. They'd picked a restaurant, but found out they didn't have a wine list (no license at all - which isn't uncommon here). So they asked if they could just BYOW, and since the staff didn't know what a cork fee was, they said "sure".

So, a couple of 'em headed down to the liquor store. They asked the clerk for their nicest bottle of wine. She pointed out an $11 bottle or so. They asked if there was anything more expensive. She pointed out they had a box for $14. Shocked, they asked if there was anything else.

The response: "Ma'am, you're in Springville, UT - remember?"

They all woke up with rather "rosy" cheeks and not too cheery the next morning from the $11 wine.

With that said, the SLC and Park City stores (and even Provo and St. George) are apparently better stocked, but the smaller ones just don't carry much.

JerryMather

Check out what they're doing over at the Red River Ranch is weekend!

" Come and experience a piece of the old American west. The cattle round up on May 2nd and 3rd, 2008. The special includes a two night stay at the beautiful Lodge at Red River Ranch, dinner Friday night, breakfast, lunch and dinner Saturday, breakfast on Sunday morning, and the horse, saddle and cattle for the drive and branding on Saturday. Beer and Wine are not included but will be available for purchase with evening meals. So let's saddle up and get after those little doggies."

The Lodge at Red River

JerryMather

For those of you that have never been here in May ............ This is OPEN RANGE country and it isn't usual at this time of year to come upon a cattle drive on UT-12 near Escalante or a Sheepherder crossing the road in the high country near Cedar Breaks between Cedar City and Panguitch.

I've see both and if you happen to be with a guy like Wurty ........ it'll make for some very funny stories to tell afterwards.

I'll never forget the time Gleno came round a bend while he was on his GSXR and there the sheep were covering the road. By the time we passed and Wurty caught up to them, they were running up the hillside from fright and the Sheepherder was yelling and waving his staff at him because he was pissed off. I guess the little ones didn't like the sound of Gleno's new pipe.

Little did he know that Wurty was intimating acquainted with most of his flock and wanted to stop to say Hi but thought better of it and rode on, finally hooking up with us at the next stop. lmao.gif

PhillyFlash
Little did he know that Wurty was intimately acquainted with most of his flock and wanted to stop to say Hi but thought better of it and rode on, finally hooking up with us at the next stop. lmao.gif

Where do you think all those little lambs came from? As soon as he saw Wurty coming he knew it was time to get the flock out of there. grin.gif

Thats it!

You are now not allowed to hang around 10ovr since his bad sense of humor is obviously spreading.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash
Thats it!

You are now not allowed to hang around 10ovr since his bad sense of humor is obviously spreading.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Don't worry, bro, next time I see you I'll buy you a refill and we'll talk about this. grin.gif

Scarecrow
It's 22F outside right now, brrr.

Bob - you did requistion warm, clear weather for us, didn't you? We're counting on you... grin.gif

Archived