IGNORED

Event dates

Tasker

With a lof of help from Bob Coen (beemerbob), the current president of the BMW Motorcycle Club of Colorado, this is what I've found out. As I've asked him to do, he has asked me to keep this information confidential.

Here are some tentative dates for other motorcycle-related events during the summer of 2006:

Beehive Beemers' Red Rocks Rendezvouz 2006 in Panquitch, UT: June 16-18

The 2006 RA Rally: Near Boise, ID July 6-9

Paonia 2006: July 13-16

I know the MOA has announced Essex, VT for 2006, but I could not find the exact dates in the latest BMWON, or on their Website. Lima is in July this year, so I'm guessing it won't be earlier than July in 2006. I'm also searching for Top of the Rockies info.

Based on all the information on other events, weather, etc., June 20-22, 2006 looks like a good option. (Depending on where we go, of course.)

What say you?

PhillyFlash

Paonia and Top 'O the Rockies are one and the same.

Late June sounds good to me. Cool in the mountains, but should be dry and clear.

Just so you all know, the Panguitch rally in Utah is very nice, and usually fairly low keyed. It's very close to Bryce and Zion Canyons, and even Torrey and North Rim of the Grand Canyon are easy day rides. It is a small town, but has many motels. The ones closest to the rally site (the campground) fill up the earliest, but the rest of them are within a mile. A comfortable walk, or a short, straight ride. It's similar to the Paonia rally, but smaller in scale. Lots of people camp. I can gather some info in case people want to combine both rallies. You can make it from Panguitch to Gunnison in a day (426 miles, taking I-70 much of the way), but two days would make a fun ride with mostly, if not all, back roads (about 600 miles total, very little interstate, Moab at about 330 miles, making it a nice stop over with time to enjoy the area). Panguitch ending on the 18th and the Un starting on the 20th works very nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

I got the following PM from the "Old Fahrt" today and I just thought I'd pass it on. We were chatting a bit about gatherings, Cody, ES and the location of the next UnRally came up as well. Tasker, I don't know if he has contacted you, but I thought I had told him that you were in charge of the decisions and that the details (other than the state) are still being ironed out.

He brings up an interesting point that might help to increase the draw for the Easties (although I think Paonia is just as good--if different), but I'm not too sure about that time frame. Ideas?

UNrally V

Hello Jamie,

Our brief conversation about the Unrally in '06 got me thinking. It would be great to combine the date with the fall Torrey meeting - Torrey+Eureka Springs was perfect. Best would be to have the UN midweek before Torrey. Weather goes downhill in the fall very quickly. Site: Durango came to mind. It has everything. Spectacular roads, many hotels, I'm sure it has camp grounds. Costs in September after Labor Day would be reasonable. These are just ideas. I love to travel with my finger on the maps.

It was a wonderful surprise to see you and Leslie in Blairsville. You guys are spectacular!

Best regards, Paul

The lobbying has started already! grin.gif

Old Fahrt's idea is a good one and no, he has not contactd me.

I was originally thinking the time frame he suggested but, based on many comments here, and suggestions from locals in Colorado, and my own experience in southwest Colorado after Labor Day, the June dates seem to make more sense, at least to me.

It would be cool to try and connect the Un with other events, but the timing seems to be off a bit in 2006.

Regarding his suggestion about going to the Durango area...

Considering how everyone seems to feel about Gunnison, I find it hard to believe that many would be thrilled with the Durango area. The reason is because it puts the Gunny/Black Canyon area that everyone covets three hours away.

I like the Durango area, but I like the Ridgeway area better because the ride options are greater. The Mesa Verde/four corners area is very cool, but the riding isn't that great. You still have to go north.

I don't know. I'm still leaning toward either Gunny or Ridgeway, as we discussed last week in Blairsville.

I am waiting on a couple of calls from Colorado that will provide some feedback. I will also count on you and Leslie for some scouting, if your offer is still good. In fact, I may fly out and do some scouting myself. Maybe we can coordinate, somehow. clap.gifthumbsup.gif

Tasker

Paonia and Top 'O the Rockies are one and the same.

Late June sounds good to me. Cool in the mountains, but should be dry and clear.

Panguitch ending on the 18th and the Un starting on the 20th works very nicely.

Here is a link to >>>the "Top o' the Rockies Rally."<<< (AKA "Paonia")

I very much like the idea of piggy-backing with either Panguitch or Paonia, for a few (obvious) reasons...

(1) More bang-for-buck type thing, meaning one road trip and hit multiple gatherings, so we may draw members out to the UN++.

(2) We may bring in some new members who are regulars at either rally and come to the UN.

Paonia is close; only 100 - 150 miles to Gunnison, but there may be a bit of overlap on roads to ride; or... not! tongue.gif Panguitch is farther of course, but makes for two different areas to ride. Still a win/win either way. clap.gif

Late June is safe; July is, too. As much as I like combining UN & Torrey, I think playing that late in the season might make for iffy crossing of the Divide. No, it wouldn't keep me home, but I don't speak for anyone else.

Archived