IGNORED

Vendors

Tasker

My assumption about AZ Al was based on various comments I've read in some of the other planning forums. My first UnRally was Eureka Springs, and I was oblivious to all the issues going on with various vendors.

IMHO, we either need to allow vendors, or not. I agree with the comment made about not being able to "mail your ears" to Al for proper fittings. And, to be honest, if Al was going to be "doing his thing", I would probably have him size me for a new pair of speaker ear-plugs, as mine are wearing out.

I can go either way on this. I have a lot of experience with vendors and sponsors, and I can make this thing fairly painless for everyone, but I don't think we need the hassle and the politics and the hurt feelings that always come, no matter how good you are.

The only option I have come up with on all of this is this: Anyone who wants to be a vendor can do so, but at their own risk and expense, and they cannot be on site (headquarters). This means that if the KOA is deemed the headquarters for the Un, then they have to be off those grounds, probably at their respective hotel. If they want to camp, then they cannot play vendor. Those who want their services can seek them out.

Either way, I am happy to play "bad cop", as I am the chair one time, and will go away after the Un. All of you have to live this thing every day. Let them get pissed at me! smirk.gif

SO, YOU'RE THE SUMBITCH THAT'S GONNA KEEP US VENDORS OUT, HUH?

Actually, I understand the "No Vendors" position. And yes, technically it would be unfair to people like me if AZ-Al got to do his thing and I didn't. But I don't care. It's not my call and while I would actually try and finagle some time off somehow to go to Colo for this one, the last thing I want to do is sell stuff when I should be riding the Rockies. IOW, do what you guys want and I'll be fine with it.

IMHO, we either need to allow vendors, or not.

I agree, and I couldn't help but chuckle in the shower this morning. There aren't a lot of things unique about BMWST except the respectful interaction we require and absolutely zero commerical interest (no vendors, no vendor forum, no banner ads, I am not allowed to make money, by choice; etc.). Given that pillar, why would we even consider vendors at an "official" event? And all over Arizona Al, who barely participates and doesn't sell anything unique? A hilarious inconsistency. grin.gif

The only option I have come up with on all of this is this: Anyone who wants to be a vendor can do so, but at their own risk and expense, and they cannot be on site (headquarters). This means that if the KOA is deemed the headquarters for the Un, then they have to be off those grounds, probably at their respective hotel. If they want to camp, then they cannot play vendor. Those who want their services can seek them out.

If you decide you want vendors, this sounds like a good way to handle it.

Archived