IGNORED

Location, location, location...

Tasker

I thought I would split these topics up to make it easier to keep track of for everyone.

I guess I'm missing something. And please believe me that I am not trying to be an ass about this question, or this topic. I really don't understand.

When I look at a map of the US, and I keep in mind all the comments that have been raised over time from "people from northern California" having a difficult time making it to an UnRally because of where they live, I get confused.

If they couldn't make it to Cody last year, and south-central Colorado isn't good for them, then what part of the country would they prefer? Should we have an UnRally in San Francisco? How about Eureka?

Getting to Colorado from Indiana isn't a small feat. Having to cross Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, and the horrible part of Colorado in the summer is nothing short of a PITA, but I don't consider it an issue because of the reward waiting for me at my destination.

I've been looking at maps for the past two weeks, trying to figure out an option that would please those in northern California, and I don't understand the issue with Colorado. Afterall, they have Torrey twice a year, as well as the Pacific Coast 24/7.

Jamie, as you pointed out, change would be good, just to keep things fresh. This is one of the reasons I pondered Ouray or Ridgeway, both great "stepping off" towns for awesome day trips. While Ouray has plenty of restaurants and hotels, and it has a hardware and a grocery, and it is a very cool, historic town, there isn't a decent parking lot in town. All of them are either on a very steep, sideways hill, or they are gravel, or both. Not a good situation for parking, talking, drinking, etc. The KOA between Ouray and Ridgeway is very nice, but it is a few miles from both towns. One gas station in each town.

Ridgeway is a good choice, but they have one hotel. Period. We would probably take most of their facility, but that wouldn't be a bad thing. It is new, with a nice pool, deck, view, flat, paved parking, etc. Ridgeway has a grocery, and a few restaurants, but things there are limited.

Telluride is a beautiful little town, but it is very, very expensive and posh, and there is one road in and out of town -- a lot of back-tracking everyday just to get to the point to begin your day trip. One gas station and no close camping.

I thought about Moab, but then there is Torrey twice a year. I thought about Wyoming or Montana, but then we just had Cody. If we push this thing to Washington or Oregon, then we probably lose 90% of the group who live east of Colorado, but the northern California people would be happy, presumably. The four corners area? The Colorado issue gets worse.

Is there a state or area that I am forgetting? Seriously, please let me know if there are other options that aren't obvious to me.

When I look at a map of the US, and I keep in mind all the comments that have been raised over time from "people from northern California" having a difficult time making it to an UnRally because of where they live, I get confused.

I think there's always a little whining from the Northern CA contingent, but it strikes me as a very small minority, albeit a quite illogical one. Anywhere in Colorado or NM is about the right location, based on distance (I'm not talking about weather here).

I wouldn't worry about it. One thing for sure: no matter where you pick, there will be some folks for whom it's not convenient. Cody was pretty inconvenient for me and I didn't go. That's life. tongue.gif

PhillyFlash

The whole purpose of the Unrally is to make it accessible to the most people from both coasts, and everyone in between. If people from the Pacific Northwest believe that Colorado is too far to travel for a national event, then I guess they'll just have to plan their own regional gathering. Speaking of which, although they complain about traveling so far, I haven't seen a northern CA or WA or OR annual regional gathering posted. Colorado works fine for most people. Cody was a bit farther for the easterners, but the MOA national was just a day away, and many people combined the two. If you're satisfied with Colorado, just do it. The majority will be happy, and some people aren't happy unless they have something to whine about it. Ahhh, the joys of leadership. grin.gif

I guess I'm missing something. And please believe me that I am not trying to be an ass about this question, or this topic. I really don't understand.

Sorry, Dude, that was just my very feeble attempt at humor by poking Greg Have-a-cramp in the eye. (I love that name, Tool! grin.gif )

As others have mentioned, someone will be unhappy no matter where (or when) you decide to hold it. I think the best you can do is make your best choice and let the chips and whining fall where they may. It is a damn big country and not everyone rides 2-3000 miles for a gathering ("What?? It's during the middle of the week? I'm out! frown.gif ). We heard every conceivable critique for picking a venue "so far west", but it seemed to me that the easties don't ride as far as the westies. Eureka Springs was MUCH closer to a lot more of the DB members, but we had as many folks at Cody as at Eureka Springs. Granted, it was it October, but it wasn't our fault that nobody would want to ride to ES in July! eek.gifgrin.gif

I know we got very lucky in having Cody as an option what with Top of the Rockies and the National both within reach. I'm also not saying that we shouldn't have the Un-V in Gunnison. That town/area IS a great venue for our sort of gathering and I don't think you'll hear too much whining about going back there. Heck, about two dozen of us went back again the following summer for the Un-Un-Gunn (and TOR) and had a great time. One big "Uh Oh" we found out that summer at the KOA was that it was built on an underground aquifer (an artesian well, I think) and that next July the place was a swamp. We had to be moved quite a few times to find sites dry enough to lie down on and a few bikes fell over in the mud--even with the complementary slabs of 2X6's provided by the new owners (I wonder why the old owners sold? dopeslap.gif ). After all the rain the west has had this last winter I can imagine it could be pretty soggy, if next winter were to be as wet, that could put a bit of a damper on things. We'd be happy to swing by there this spring and check things there out. Last time we were there (summer 2003), we were chatting with the new owner about some of his options to deal with the water. He's going to need to have done something to keep the place as a viable camping area by then (or it might not be an option in 14 months).

Not to keep harping on the Durango area, but there is a very nice KOA on the eastern edge of town (heading towards Bayfield/Pagosa Springs) that Leslie and I have stayed at. What I don't know is if there are any hotels/motels nearby on that end of town or not.

The whole purpose of the Unrally is to make it accessible to the most people from both coasts, and everyone in between.

If that is true, how do you justify Virginia? eek.gif

Or do you mean every other year? I'm not sure we should always try to find a place that is accessable to most people from both coasts every year as I think that really limits our choices. I throw my vote in with the current nascent "system" of trying to move it around a bit "eastwards" and "westwards" to try to catch a few more folks whose limits on mileage are 1500-2000 miles. At least that way they stand a chance of catching the train every two years. Of course we may also want to (or just decide it's better) to pick "A western location" and "an eastern location" and just move it back and forth every year. The plusses there are lack of work (starting from scratch every year) and ability to plan ahead further for folks. As an example, the TOR Rally had been moving around every year for years until they stumbled upon Paonia. That little town has worked out so well for them that they've been there every year now for the last 15 years or so. They take over the whole town (and in fact, out number it during the rally) and the townspeople open their arms to the bikers and it is a very special feeling I've seen nowhere else.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being positional, just keeping the discussion going and exploring all the options. I'll be happy to ride to whereever the Un winds up and even to go to Gunnison every year if the consensus decides that is the best location, hell, I go to Torrey twice a year! dopeslap.gif

...but it seemed to me that the easties don't ride as far as the westies.

I'd sure love to see some data on that. I have a strong suspicion you are wrong. It's inflammatory. Not to me, but I'd be a little hesitant about ever saying something like that outside this forum unless you want to get jumped on. Like Dick Frantz did during the first UnRally discussions, after which he got jumped on soundly. And there are still a bunch of people mightily pissed off about his insinuations (ChrisNYC being one of them). dopeslap.gif

I can think of a whole lot more examples of people riding to the far west than I can of people riding to the far eastern part of the US. smile.gif

Anyway, that's a perception the some "westies" seem to have and I figured I'd pipe in and share that I'm not sure it's correct.

PhillyFlash

Any stats on how many came from east of the Mississippi vs west for the Cody Unrally? It seemed like a lot of easterners were there. For Eureka Springs, there was our group who traveled from Torrey to EU, but I can't remember anyone else from the west who showed up. Torrey has had more than its share of easterners show up, but who from the west has been to El Paseo or Mayhem (although I do have a Mayhem t-shirt). Same goes for Hill Country; how many from the east vs west? While I haven't counted the numbers, it seems to me that more easterners have a penchant for taveling far than do the westerners. Of course, the reason for that, and the reason for going to Virginia, is that it is so hard to find any decent roads in the east.

[duck]

Any stats on how many came from east of the Mississippi vs west for the Cody Unrally? It seemed like a lot of easterners were there. For Eureka Springs, there was our group who traveled from Torrey to EU, but I can't remember anyone else from the west who showed up. Torrey has had more than its share of easterners show up, but who from the west has been to El Paseo or Mayhem (although I do have a Mayhem t-shirt). Same goes for Hill Country; how many from the east vs west? While I haven't counted the numbers, it seems to me that more easterners have a penchant for taveling far than do the westerners. Of course, the reason for that, and the reason for going to Virginia, is that it is so hard to find any decent roads in the east.

Exactly my perspective.

[duck]

grin.gif

[duck]

you futhermucker....

PhillyFlash

Tried to get into the old registration info from Cody Unrally, but no can do. Just wanted to count up how many registered from east of the Mississippi vs west. Someone else will have to do that, if anyone can still access that info, that is.

Colorado it is.

It's between Gunnison and Ridgeway.

I'll have some conversations with hotels, campgrounds, etc., then get back to you fine folks.

PhillyFlash

Ridgeway is pretty limited in terms of restaurants, but it does have a fairly large motel or two. I wouldn't call it the prettiest setting to be in. It's about 15-20 miles of straight road south to Ouray, and about 30-40 miles of mostly straight road north to Montrose, with a slow ride through town. Heading west, you start to climb almost right away, and that is the quickest way to get into some very good roads. East (if there is any way to head east) is for the GS crowd. Montrose is a fairly large town, with lots of motels, but I'm not sure where their campground may be. It is another option to think about, as it is between Ridgeway and Gunnison.

PhillyFlash

David,

I just went to the archives, opened the UnRally 3 section, and looked at the first registration post. It had a link to click on to register, but it does not work any longer.

Here is the page.

Les is more

Here are some rough numbers from Cody.

I didn't see your Mississippi dividing line before I looked this up, so here's what I was thinking.

I defined West as anything west of the longitude of Colorado, plus Texas.

Midwest, for this exercise, included the Great Lakes States and then down to the Mississipi River. Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee and Mississippi were included with the Eastern States.

Out of approximately 140 people at Cody, a dozen or so were from the East, around 20 came from the Midwest and the rest were from the West.

I'm one of those simplistic souls (note, I didn't say simple tongue.gif) who doesn't get the reason for this conversation.

Build an Unrally and they will come . . . or not. Someone somewhere will always get bent out of shape because we didn't put the gathering in their backyard. Some people were put on this earth to whine.

The fact is it's a bloody big country and the geographic center of it is bloody boring to ride in. I personally love the adventure adherent to having it be a movable feast. I'm seeing a lot of the country this way.

As I recall, I heard mutterings at Eureka Springs about all the people in the East moaning that Colorado was too far west and the irony that the ones who cried the loudest, didn't show at ES.

The point being that it will never be perfect for everybody. Put it someplace beautiful with fun roads each year. Moving it around is not only interesting but about as fair as it's going to get. Someday people will understand, that sooner or later, an Un will come to a town near them or at least within 500 miles.

According to www.randmcnally.com:

Ridgway to Ouray: 10 miles (not bad)

Ridgway to Durango: 81 miles (spectacular)

Ridgway to Montrose: 27 miles (yawn)

Ridgway to Gunnision: 91 miles (yawn)

Ridgway to Moab, UT: 139 miles (awesome)

The 10-mile trip from Ridgway south to Ouray isn't bad (not too straight), but then Ouray to Silverton, and then onto Durango may be the most spectacular road in north America! A very nice KOA is between Ridgway and Ouray, about halfway.

Ridgway west on 62/145 up to the Gateway area is also very cool. This loops back around to 550 north of Delta. From Delta, you have a great trip down through Gunnison National Forest to 50. From 50, you have several options -- head back to Ridgway via Montrose, head south to Lake City, etc.

I'm not hard-selling Ridgway, but from the standpoint of having many different types of options, with different types of riding and views, it is great.

Ridgway does not have as many restaurants, but what is there, is very good, including the best Mexican food I've eaten. It has a great place for breakfast, and a few other options. It has a grocery, Shell and an auto parts store, as well. And, Ouray has many high quality restaurants, shopping, etc. The only reason I've decided not to put Ouray out there as a viable option is because most the hotels there are small, and their parking isn't great. We would need to use three to four different hotels to accomodate those who don't camp.

As far as amenities, Gunnison is better equipped. There is no question that the Gunnsion area is beautiful. I've not seen the routes from the Un in Gunn.

Did some of the routes from the Un in Gunn head northeast toward Aspen and Leadville? Breckenridge? Hoosier Pass? Independence Pass? Mt. Evans is cool, as it is the highest paved road in the U.S. (14,264 feet!).

Our group seems to be a fairly hearty bunch, except for those in northern California (just kidd'n wink.gifgrin.gif), so the idea of a 300- to 500-mile loop shouldn't seem outlandish to most.

If we want a known entity, "where everyone knows your name", then Gunny should be it. If we want to change things up a bit, giving everyone some different experiences, then Ridgway is it.

Again, I'm not selling here, but my logic with Ridgway is that it is different than Gunny, it will afford different trips that one may not elect to take from Gunny, since Gunny would be on the northern edge from a mileage standpoint. From Ridgway or even Ouray, we would be centrally located.

Either location, I'll be happy, so it doesn't much matter to me. I'll make the trips to where I want to go from either "home base". If I want to go have breakfast or Mexican food in Ridgway, then I'll do it.

I also want to do what is best for our group, as this isn't about me! wink.gifeek.gifgrin.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday
Did some of the routes from the Un in Gunn head northeast toward Aspen and Leadville? Breckenridge? Hoosier Pass? Independence Pass?

Yes, there was a loop that did this. It was awesome. 92 up through crawford and Hotchkiss, then 133 up through Carbondale, then on through Aspen, Independence Pass, and Monarch Pass back to Gunny. Fantastic loop.

Where's Hoosier Pass?

Where's Hoosier Pass?

Somewhere in Indiana, probably. I'll bet it's just beautiful. grin.gif

Funny man... tongue.gif

Hoosier Pass is just south of Breckenridge on 9. It is at 11,541 feet.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Where's Hoosier Pass?

Somewhere in Indiana, probably. I'll bet it's just beautiful. grin.gif

Funny man... tongue.gif

Hoosier Pass is just south of Breckenridge on 9. It is at 11,541 feet.

Aha, I have been over that one. On the way to Gunny in '02 from my sister's place in Boulder, and again last spring on the way to Torrey. Good one to string together with Loveland pass.

On one level I sort of understand the reluctance to repeat Gunnison. But then again I also wonder if it worked so well for so many people to ride so many great roads, why mess with success. I would feel the same way if Un-7, 9 or 11 ended up in Cody. Just look at Torrey. Great people, great roads. Met them all and ridden them all. And I can't wait to go back.

At Un-Gunn there were loops that included 550 to Durango, there was a Lake City/Creede/South Fork/Sauguache loop which I rode with David, Flash and Cary. There were also loops that included Crawford (just went up there, bought the T-shirt and rode back), plus loops that took in the large aspen grove (can't recall the location) and other rides that included several of the passes. No one got to ride more than 1/3 of the mileage that was laid out. There were simply too many good loops to choose from and too many left to be done another day. And let's not forget that we were at something like 2500 members back then. We've tripled that, so 70% of current membership wasn't around for Un-Gunn.

We've got some property outside of Durango. I've done 550-to-Ouray many times. It's always stunning. But swinging west of 550 gets me into the Utah desert which I see plenty of going to Torrey. For me, the best riding is east off of 50, IN the mountains, and that's where I am heading. Having done Lake City/Creede, I want to get into the passes, go over The Divide, and get into the trees and altitude. For that I prefer an interior base, but Ridgeway will do if that's where all my friends will be.

I guess what I'm driving at is, if the best selection of good riding is centered around Gunnison, and we're not using Gunnison (or thereabouts on 50) because it's been done before, yet we're pretty sure the interior is where most people are going to head, all we're doing is making it more difficult for them to get there (not to mention farther for the eastern folks to get to home base).

Joe Frickin' Friday
I guess what I'm driving at is, if the best selection of good riding is centered around Gunnison, and we're not using Gunnison (or thereabouts on 50) because it's been done before, yet we're pretty sure the interior is where most people are going to head, all we're doing is making it more difficult for them to get there (not to mention farther for the eastern folks to get to home base).

I doubt another 90 miles will make much difference in riders' decisions on whether or not to attend ('cept maybe for Milton), but it will make a difference to all the day rides. On the plus side, it cuts out about 50 boring miles from the ride between Gunny and Durango if you're doing the Million Dollar Highway, but it kind of adds that in if you're doing anything else. frown.gif

You're right, with four years having passed, Gunny would be a new, first-time thing for 2/3 of the membership. Also, after four years, anyone who went the first time probably wouldn't object to going back. I know I wouldn't. smile.gif

What would you guys and gals think about making the Un four official days, instead of three?

My thought is that if there are so many great loops that wind up not being ridden because of a limited amount of UnTime, then maybe one more "official" day might not be so bad.

Yes, I understand travel time and distances, etc., but for many, we take the full week off, anyway. For instance, even if I didn't leave Indy until Saturday morning, I could still be in Gunny by Sunday night. Same for the end of the Un.

Just a thought to ponder...

PhillyFlash

Four official days may be a bit too long, depending upon how you look a it. If you are thinking 4 full days of Unrally, that would mean people arriving the night before (Monday afternoon/evening), and staying until the morning after (Saturday morning). I think we'd find that many people would only stay for 3 days, either getting there a day late, or leaving a day early. Cody was a little short for some of us, with most people getting there on Monday afternoon, riding on Tuesday, and the official ending on Wednesday morning. So several of us stayed until Thursday morning on our own. I think if it is planned for 3 full days, then many will probably show up the night before (Monday) and leave early the morning after (Friday). Then there is the choice to arrive earlier or stay later if anyone wants to. I think that is the schedule for this year's Un. It also gives people the flexibility to spend another night or two somewhere else in Colorado or the neighboring states before heading home.

Howard's got it right. Making it "officially" four days puts a load on people because they feel they HAVE to be there or they might miss something. Three days is about right becuase you're going to spend at least on day (cumulatively) hanging around and getting to know everyone you can, plus two days riding. If anyone wants to hang around more than that, or wander off on a tangent on their way home, they've got the choice to do so, without pressure.

• 4 weeks later...

We're in Gunnison and checked out the KOA. The owner who bought it from the owners when the Un-I was there (who told us about the artesian spring in the middle of the tenting area) sold it the same year. The new couple who own it are just starting their second season and they said they noticed no trouble last spring/summer. The caterer is gone (he left when the previous owner took over, but we didn't get any details). There are a few renovations going on in the hotels motels right nearby and we may have a lead on a 38 room smaller motel which is in the process of being completely remodeled and purchased by the Days Inn right down the road (the other way). They have a meeting room and the Mexican restaurant on the premises also has a large room that we might be able to get for group meals. We're going to check out other hotels right nearby and go get something to eat.

Ridgway has only one hotel, 55 rooms, the guy was curt, no group rates and they sell out almost a year in advance. The camping is 5-10 miles north and 5-10 miles south of town, but there is very little "in town" either. It looks like just putting it in Ridgway just to be moving it from Gunnison doesn't make much sense. Cortez looked kind of neat, but you'd have to move the date closer to the spring or fall as it might get hotter than Gunnison. Plus, it's more out on a wind-swept plain--although the wind here in Gunnison is whipping pretty good too. frown.gif

My cell is (619) 933-5832. Just wanted to see if anybody/Tasker had any specifics you/he wanted us to check out while we're here.

Jamie, thanks for your time and input tonight. The idea that you guys are willing to "throw yourselves on the fire" and "force" a trip in the spring through the mountains of SW Colorado says a lot! Not sure what it says, but it says a lot! grin.gifwink.gif

Our discussion, and your findings, have confirmed my instincts to go back to Gunnison for UN 2006. It makes the most sense, on every level.

With the info I have, coupled with the names and info you will pass on to me when you can, I will begin the process of nailing down the headquarters, if this decision is met with approval from the executive board.

While I have been pondering a ride out late this summer, maybe even coordinating a trip with Fall Torrey, I think it would be best to get out to the Gunny area sooner, to do some scouting of my own. I may try to do a long weekend out sooner than later. I get the sense that reservations and holds on blocks of rooms needs to happen now. The rest of the details can come together later.

So, Gunnison in June of 2006?

...if this decision is met with approval from the executive board....

Thats you buddy! grin.gif

... So, Gunnison in June of 2006?

That has my vote. I might even consider crossing the plains to do that one again thumbsup.gif

Sounds good to me, Tasker. Julie and I are thinking seriously of going to Fall Torrey, towing by way of Colorado. In fact, we've talked specifically of riding a day or two in the Gunnison area this fall on our way there, so if we can help with anything, just yell.

"So, Gunnison in June of 2006?"

Certainly works for ME!

Tasker, you could do much worse than Gunny. I'm hoping to roll thru there on my way home from this UN... (gods willing and the creek don' rise!) I lived in the Boulder area when I was younger, but hadn't ever gotten to the western slope - BIG mistake!

I'll be looking forward to running down to Creed and Lake City et al with the Society of Hoons next year! thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash
I'll be looking forward to running down to Creed and Lake City et al with the Society of Hoons next year! thumbsup.gif

IN! clap.gif

(I bet Bynum responds within a few minutes. grin.gif)

IN! clap.gif

(I bet Bynum responds within a few minutes. grin.gif)

Or... not! No WiFi at Fontana raceway!!! cool.gif

russell_bynum

Well, what the hell...IN.

But I ain't ridin' with you guys...I heard you exceed the speed limit and stuff. I always stick to the speed limit while keeping the bike as upright as possible.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Well, what the hell...IN.

But I ain't ridin' with you guys...I heard you exceed the speed limit and stuff. I always stick to the speed limit while keeping the bike as upright as possible.

Shawn loves to tell the story of mild-mannered Bill Poche at the 4T event at Baker's house in summer '02. A very spirited afternoon ride by everyone in attendance, and Bill was near the back of the pack with Shawn/Rainy, pushing his comfort limit in an effort to keep the the rest of the group from just plain disappearing over the horizon.

At a gas/rest break Bill and Shawn were talking, and Bill said something like this: "Man, these guys are going twenty MPH over the limit! I can't do this, I'm an accountant, for Heaven's sake!" grin.gif

"Man, these guys are going twenty MPH over the limit! I can't do this, I'm an accountant, for Heaven's sake!"

cool.gifgrin.gifdopeslap.gif

What a CLASSIC QUOTE! Absolute primo material; no wonder it makes a great story.

I'm an accountant, for Heaven's sake!

smile.gif

I remember listen to the tire-kickin at Torrey a few episodes back, when Gleno was razzing someone for a serious hoon-fest:

(Gleno, doing his impersonation of "Officer Friendly" - )

"Good afternoon, sir. Did you realize you were going 95mph... .... OVER THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT!?!?!?!" blush.gif

And he woulda been correct, too! tongue.gifdopeslap.gif

Thought I would post this to the public after the UnFun this week.

Any reason why I shouldn't?

After??? Why not drop the bombshell now so everyone can get excited early and beat the rush? It's killing me keeping it under my hat! So is it officially Gunnison? If so, when--June (Panguitch) or July (Paonia/Top of the Rockies)? grin.gif

P.S. See you for dinner tomorrow night! thumbsup.gif

Why not drop the bombshell now so everyone can get excited early and beat the rush?

Well, I figure that I don't want to take away from the UnExcitement for this UnWeek.

Maybe we'll put it up on the final night... thumbsup.gif

PhillyFlash

How about a formal announcement at the Wednesday dinner. Let the attendees hear about it first. Kind of a passing of the torch (do we have a torch? How about a passing of the spark plug?) Then an announcement on the board on Thursday or Friday.

• 2 weeks later...

Tasker, it seems that many people are jumping the gun regarding Gunny. Just a note to say don't let that pressure you. smile.gif

Tasker, it seems that many people are jumping the gun regarding Gunny. Just a note to say don't let that pressure you. smile.gif

See my resonse in the thread.

Won't they be surprised when the Un moves to Iowa! grin.gif

Archived