IGNORED

How I install a Kisan SignalMinder

Larry

I've been asked often how I install a Kisan SignalMinder. Maybe this post will help someone.

First of all I wouldn’t put it where they say. If you do it will be putting a lot of pressure on the wiring, and you’ll need to move the socket to the other side of the box. Put it same place as the stock one. It looks as if there is not enough room, there is much more then you’ll need. But you’ll need to remove the holder the old unit sat in, it’s easy to do. You can see what it looks like useing a BMW dealer’s parts fiche like the one at Hemmersly or Bobs BMW. See WIRING BOX/FUXE BOX/MOUNTING PARTS, Part Number 7. It is held in place by a small tab located center at its bottom. It slides down into the box on what resembles a set of tracks and then the tab clicks in and locks it into place. So you release it, pull it straight up and out. Use Velcro to hold the Kisan in place. Use the space the instructions say to put the Kisan to store your stock one, never know when you might need it. The old one fits there fine, it’s smaller. Use the same side of the Velcro on the box for both parts so you can swap them easy. The spaces are a little tight, the Velcro will try to stick together. Put a piece of paper between Velcro strips so they doesn't stick together, pull it out when you have the unit in place. Connecting the Kisan is just a matter of unplugging the stock unit, and plugging in the Kisan. The connector has a latch that swings open like a small hinge. The red wire goes to the brake light wire. Don’t use the connector they gave you. It cuts into the wire and weakens it. What you need is a Piggyback Connector sold at NAPA auto parts stores. Attach it to the end of the red wire. Unplug the rear brake light wire. Plug the red wire in, then plug the brake light wire into the Piggyback Connector along with the red wire. This way you don’t harm the stock wire. If you want to remove the unit just unplug the red wire, and plug the stock wire back into the stop light. Test it and your done. If you have trouble finding a piggyback connector email me lrryhrrn@yahoo.com I have a few in the garage. Hope this helps. thumbsup.gif

I have one more tip to add: if you want to you use the brake light activated signal flash (this is when the rear signals strobe on/off a few times when the brake is applied) you may have to use the following method on older oilhead bikes because the voltage is too low to activate the feature the way that it is described in the manual.

This is the procedure recommended by Kisan: Temporarily disconnect the Red wire for the brake input of the signalMinder at the brake light connector end. Use the open ring connector as a jumper to the positive lead of the battery to make the 6 quick brake inputs - instead of pumping the brakes - to activate the feature.

Archived