IGNORED

Where to mount Zumo 550 on R1200RT?

Roadwolf

I have ordered a new Zumo 550 GPS and should have it in a week or so...

In the meantime, I am looking at figuring out on where to mount the unit... as I figure it, it comes with cradle and attaching bar clamp with the kit... A friend has one on his R1200R and I saw how he had it set up... what I want to know is there a mounting bracket/or setup for putting it between the handlebars without too much trouble? Anyone here got something setup like that on their RT and with links to sources for mounts... maybe pictures as well?

Once I figure that out, it then only leaves the question of plugging it in... directly to the battery or the Can-bus... any tips on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

there is a bracket that goes right into the handlebar bolts, problem is it can be hard to see with a tankbag in place. i prefer mounting it higher. cycle gadgets has several ram mount options for the rt. or u can look at RKA motorcycle luggage. They have a tank bag that hard wires directly to the battery and u can mount the zumo to the tank bag plus u can put a audio device in there too like a starcom or autocom

Do a search on this site for the jackfrost mount. He makes an aluminum piece that fits into the center hole between the bars. I have one and its great. He does this in his spare time so you may have to wait until he has time to make one.

As to power - I am using the plug on the front of the bike that BMW put there for their GPS. If you do some searching here you will find that you can buy an adapter from BMW that fits the plug and can be used to power the GPS.

I've just completed mounting the zumo above the instruments with a migsel mount from cyclegadgets. Beautiful mount and puts the screen in a good spot. There is a BMW plug available to fit an empty gps lead. The empty lead is taped to the harness just below the triple tree. The notes on this board and on the Zumo board were invaluable in setting up. No worries about tapping in to the CANBUS if you use the proper socket.

You might want to check out gadgetguy.net; they have many pics. I have my Zumo 550 along with a Valentine and my Roady2 on gadgetguy's hardware. Genna, the owner, is very responsive to questions even when he may not directly profit from the discussion. Tell him that I referred you. His hardware is very clean looking, IMHO.

Thanks guys for the responses here... for one thing, I am going to get hooked up on the Zumo forum... thanks for the link, btw.

Secondly, that Migsel mount looks like the way I want to go... one question though... probably isn't a concern, but just visualizing the Zumo up there when the windshield is at it's lowest setting, seems to me that the clearance up there would be fairly tight... guess there is enough room for it to mount up there.

One last thing, anyone running MacOS X and the Garmin Mapping Software and have any issues... I seem to remember some comments on another board that Garmin was dragging their feet on getting up to speed with Mac compatibility.

Thanks for the advice... will update when successfully installed. Hopefully by next week.

Do a search on this site for the jackfrost mount. He makes an aluminum piece that fits into the center hole between the bars. I have one and its great. He does this in his spare time so you may have to wait until he has time to make one.

Thanks for the promo Andrew...and if anyone wants a look, here is my little gallery of pics.

http://gallery.mac.com/jkwinchester1#100037&bgcolor=black&view=grid

The shiny bit is 6061T6 solid billet CNC machined and polished aluminum. The 1" Ram ball is 'Made in the USA"...I also supply a hex head stainless bolt to connect the two parts. Its a pressure fit so no mods necessary!

Jim (aka jakfrost)

You might want to check out gadgetguy.net; Genna, the owner, is very responsive to questions even when he may not directly profit from the discussion.

+1 on Gadgetguy and Genna - have his products for the RT and ST - top quality thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I have the BMR Co-Pilot Shelf. It puts the Zumo up front and very close the normal field of view like the Migsel. I chose the BMR because of the money back guarantee and the wide variety of stuff you can attach to it. I'm delighted, it's one of the best products of bought for my RT.

BMR site

Prior to using the BMR I had a techmount that went into the mirror hole. It was good, but had more vibration and you have to look quite a ways to the left. Having hand the Zumo in that position on my HD it was comfortable. Having had the Zumo front and center up high I would never go back.

I ran mine off the canbus GPS plug up front initially, then hardwired it directly to the battery later. I went to the battery to reduce intercom noise when using the Zumo audio for directions and intercom noise. Many go to the battery to make sure the Zumo stays on when they want it on, even for a stop of 10 minutes or the like.

Befor openning your wallet any further, you might want to run your Zumo using the U-bolt mount that comes std with the kit. Like you, I thought I might want a more centralized mounting, but after using the stock mount a while I had no rational need to pony up for a custom mount. Oh, I ride with the stock BMW tank bag and still have not had any problems with steering interferance or visulization of the Zumo screen.

The migsel mount does allow clearance for the windshield, even at its lowest setting-no issues there. Plenty of adjustability. On some of the threads I've reviewed, folks complained of vibration, but I don't haven't had any issues. Very quick and clean install, mounts with the two screw holes already there and genuinely looks like part of the bike. Good quality material, yet not obtrusive. Also has two additional spots unused for additional ramballs, if/when I add more stuff.

As for the Mac compatibility, I think we're somewhat out of luck. I have a macbook that I do most of my work on, but I also have a windows machine that I'm going to use with the zumo. Garmin has some sort of variant of the mapping software available for Macs, with reduced functionality. I guess the other way to go would be to have a windows boot up for your mac.

Thanks Lou for the info... Hmmm... Vibration is something I would not want too much of on the Unit... will check into that.. but from what you are telling me, you haven't had any problem with it then...

As to Mac compatibility... I do have Parallels and Windows XP (Ugh!) if I need to use that on both my MacBook and Mac Pro... will use that as a last resort.

Thanks again for the tips guys...

Fightingpiper

I got the zumo mounted over the clutch reservior on a Ram mount mount. I like it there as it is an easy reach to play with.

I got the zumo mounted over the clutch reservior on a Ram mount mount. I like it there as it is an easy reach to play with.
thumbsup.gif

Concur! I mounted my Zumo over the clutch reservoir as well. The only hardware I needed to buy that wasn't in the Garmin kit was a plate kit designed to interface the supplied RAM mount with the housing. I bought the plate from my dealer, Brown Motor Works for about $30.00. It's HOON Hardware and called a RAM-Mounter. The package had extended screws, spacers, a ball on a threaded stud, and a hex key. I did put a dab of blue lock-tite on the ball mount screw after it swung loose when I first mounted the GPS in the RAM mount. Two weeks and no problems!

thumbsup.gif

Concur! I mounted my Zumo over the clutch reservoir as well. The only hardware I needed to buy that wasn't in the Garmin kit was a plate kit designed to interface the supplied RAM mount with the housing. I bought the plate from my dealer, Brown Motor Works for about $30.00. It's HOON Hardware and called a RAM-Mounter. The package had extended screws, spacers, a ball on a threaded stud, and a hex key. I did put a dab of blue lock-tite on the ball mount screw after it swung loose when I first mounted the GPS in the RAM mount. Two weeks and no problems!

WHERE ARE THE PICS!?

Great tips everyone. I'm the reverse of Chris - I'm expecting my new RT in a few weeks but bought the Zumo last week so it's buring a hole on my shelf.

Can anyone report if the Touratech mounting is effective in cutting vibration on any of the standard or steering head type mounts?

And a dumb newbie question blush.gif - just where is the clutch resevoir? Pix anyone?

Great tips everyone. I'm the reverse of Chris - I'm expecting my new RT in a few weeks but bought the Zumo last week so it's buring a hole on my shelf.

Can anyone report if the Touratech mounting is effective in cutting vibration on any of the standard or steering head type mounts?

And a dumb newbie question blush.gif - just where is the clutch resevoir? Pix anyone?

No vibration at all with Jack Frost's mount. I have had mine on my 07 RT for 2 years - not one issue with vibration. I use different length ram arms depending on bag size or no bag at all.

You won't be disappointed with this mount! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

This sounds like the go, I hope you've been busy making stock Jim.

I also meant to include the link to the TouraTech Mount

The above-dash type mounts look better placement wise but I don't want to go near the scary looking eek.gif fairing dismantling at this stage (does it void your warranty?). I would hope it all fits back together with less trouble than an Ikea bookshelf.

Went for a drive in the tin-top with the Zumo yesterday & realised the above dash mightn't be so good for me. I wear multi-focals and had to keep tipping my head back to focus on it dopeslap.gif

Admittedly the bike dash is lower but it reminded me I need it significantly lower than the long-distance part of my lenses.

I had a gps unit on my 1100, mounted at the base of the left bar, used a ram ball and longer bolts, on my R12rt I purchased a ram mount for the clutch res. on the left handlebar. It is out of the way of the tank bag and for me much more convenient.

Jerry

Archived