IGNORED

1200 RT on board computer

ChuckS

What dose anyone know about this. Just talked with the dealer and there are two comming in both dark grey, fully loaded w/ on board computer, bncry.gif alarm and everything else.... I was thinking of red...but..??..

Thanks Chuck the inpatient...

Jerry_75_Guy

You're making a big investment here, so make sure you are happy with what you get; color, accessories, everything. You're in this for the long haul (no pun intended), so there's no reason to go half way even if you have to wait a bit.

That said, I'd go for the red; nicer color and, except for color blind drivers, it should standout a little better, and give you less chance of blending into the backround like a gray bike might.

John Bentall

On board computer will calculate average speed, average gas mileage, remaining range etc. It is a must-have option if you want the low oil level warning lamp as well.

I suspect dealers will specify most bikes with this equipment.

P.S. Go for the dark grey, it looks gorgeous. Also blends in better with the black plastic of the chassis, frame etc.

So what do you know about the raido / cd option? Is there headset jacks? I really don't want to be blasting music like I am in the getto... I am leaning hard to the grey...got to see it first...cool.gif

On board computer will calculate average speed, average gas mileage, remaining range etc. It is a must-have option if you want the low oil level warning lamp as well.

I suspect dealers will specify most bikes with this equipment.

P.S. Go for the dark grey, it looks gorgeous. Also blends in better with the black plastic of the chassis, frame etc.

That's what I ordered. Hope it looks as good as everyone says!

Gadget Magnet
So what do you know about the raido / cd option? Is there headset jacks? I really don't want to be blasting music like I am in the getto... I am leaning hard to the grey...got to see it first...cool.gif

I did not see any headset jacks.. For the kind of money the cd player costs, you can buy yourself a 40GB Ipod and put your entire musical collection on it. You can't change cds on the go, so, every 45 to 60 minutes, you gotta pull over to change discs? As for an FM radio, these days there's more commercials than there's music.. The sound system (radi and cd) are well over $1000 option.. At any rate, hearing the music at highway speeds through the dashboard speakers is pointless.. It seems like dealers who have RT's on the floor are ordering them fully loaded to unload them onto those who can't wait for a factory order with exactly what they want on it..

So what do you know about the raido / cd option? Is there headset jacks?

No, there is no headset. I have fitted an autocom and speaker cut-off switch to send the music to my helmet speakers. It works a charm - and the best bit is that the volume increases the faster you ride thumbsup.gif

For the kind of money the cd player costs, you can buy yourself a 40GB Ipod and put your entire musical collection on it.

Apparently, Becker who make the cd system for BMW, also make an aux input adapter. If you press the cd button twice the display says "AUX" and if you have the adapter and an mp3 player plugged in then the sound comes through the cd/radio system. I am researching this option myself ATM as it will fit the bill nicely.

• 3 months later...

Gadgetgaz,

Sounds just like what I need. Plus if you run the bike's audio system through the comm system, all forms of music/radio can be controlled in 1 place. Have you gotten any more info on this AUX port?

Rod

Tricky one that. Becker have since denied selling such a thing, it seems they have been gagged by BMW or something. There is an adaptor available for the same radio fitted to BMW cars but the volume is too low to be very useful. Check out THIS thread on this forum for info on making your own adaptor for next to nothing. It has exactly the same low volume problem. BMW and Becker are in denial. They need their butts kicking!

With reference to adding an aux input. I have an FM Modulator on my 1150RT that fits IN the radio box. This lets you put an additional source through one of the radio channels. I think it cost about £30. The only downside I found was it tended to swamp any other stations when searching. You can always make it switchable.

gadgetgaz, if I understand correctly you have the BMW radio going to your autocom? If so what wires did you tap to get the sound. I use a different comm system but have earplug speakers and would like to connect an 1/8 inch jack to the radio speakers so I can connect it to the comm system.

Thanks

So what do you know about the raido / cd option? Is there headset jacks?

No, there is no headset. I have fitted an autocom and speaker cut-off switch to send the music to my helmet speakers. It works a charm - and the best bit is that the volume increases the faster you ride thumbsup.gif

I use the actual speaker wires but you need some impedence matching such as Autocom's part 67. You can also get one for about £10 from a car audio shop, they are designed to feed a car power amp from a car radio that has no line-out connector.

Chuck, are you thinking about getting a SECOND new RT? Personally, I'd like to have one in every color grin.gif, but I'm running out of space in the living room already!

But if you are going to order one, here's my one and a half cents worth, having around 3500 miles on mine now. First, the oil level warning is a nuisance and an irritation. BMW should pay YOU for putting it on your bike.

All praise the simple, elegant, sight glass! Try to get the computer, but not the stupid oil warning.

Second, from everything I've heard and read, ESA really is useful and well worth the extra scratch. I thought it was a gimmick and didn't get it on my bike, but the more I learn about it, the more I wish I'd sprung (pun alert) for it. Next time I'll get it for sure - on my 2009 K1300RT!

Last, there's a review of the new RT in the newest Rider Magazine wherein they complain about the BMW radio/cd player. Worth a look.

Good luck!

I use the actual speaker wires but you need some impedence matching such as Autocom's part 67. You can also get one for about £10 from a car audio shop, they are designed to feed a car power amp from a car radio that has no line-out connector.

Sorry for the hijack but this is probably useful info for others as well if they want to connect helmet speakers to the stock radio thumbsup.gif

Do you think something like this would work if I cut the RCA jacks off and solder to the speaker wires?

270-054.jpg

there's a review of the new RT in the newest Rider Magazine wherein they complain about the BMW radio/cd player.

I have the Radio\CD, and would probably NOT get it next time around.. CD skip's easily, and radio reception is poor.. I'm using XM as my main sound system now..

Craig

Is the speaker cut-off switch autocomm part #136 or 148p? I just purchased the Pro-7 Sport Tour Kit and forgot to order the privacy/PTT switch. Also I see a part #164 which is a hi/lo volume switch. It is a grip mounted toggle switch just like the Privacy/PTT switch. Are you supposed to mount these toggle switches on the handle bars??

thanks,

Dave Eller

05 R1200 RT

02 K1200 LTE

05 1200 Sportster Custom HD

Cleveland, Ohio

The radio used is coming from Clarion (Japanese brand). As i worked for this company, i will try to find the pining of the rear connector or, if it is available, the connector for auxiliary/intercom use

Michel

Part 136 and 148 are for bike-to-bike intercoms.

You need part 66 or part 67 (if you want to switch off the speakers).

Archived