IGNORED

My Final Gunnison Chronicle

murrayg

Other experiences on or off the bike I won't forget.

This is just my way of letting Gunnison go little by little. Oh, don’t get me wrong it will always be with me but just not top of mind as it is now.

·Starting the Gathering with the Pledge of Allegiance, an Invocation and the National Anthem.

·My first RT sighting with Limecreek aboard and our meeting at the KOA.

·My first mountain pass, Spring Creek.

·Loading up to ride to KOA in the Comfort Inn parking lot and witnessing 30 HA folks roar up to the hotel.

·Meeting and matching *’ers faces, monikers and real names at the KOA during registration and the rest of the gathering. I still can’t believe I didn’t meet DQ.

·Conversation with a guy name Dave while in Creede and finding out he’s from Bentonville, Ar. All together now, “small world.”

·Staying in a cabin at Pleasant Valley in the cool and rainy evening on Saturday and having a fire in my cabin.

·The fix and re-fixing of Lester V’s throttle cable.

·Breakfast at the Mad Dog Ranch, Lunch in Aspen and Pizza at 10:00 p.m. at Mazzio’s with Sean, Shelly, Russell, Lisa, Dean, Connie, Jon, Michael, and Lester V. Year’s ago a close friend challenged me to make memories so that when I was too old to do anything I’d have some wonderful memories to replay. This day will be with me forever. Thanks again.

·Praying for safe passage for the fix it crew through Independence and Monarch passes.

·Dinner at Garlic Mike’s with Ken, Wes and Dick, the U-Turn Gang.

·Meeting Malcolm Smith and later finding out he’s the guy that did the unbelievable riding documented on Any Sunday.

·Passing the hat for the Mennonite family.

·My solo ride to Crested Butte and buying mementos for my wife and girls.

·Walking through 25-30 HA members to get into the Comfort Inn. frown.gif

·Watching a Dad gather his family together for a photograph with the HA. shocked.gif

·The trick paint job on Dick’s bike.

·The courage of Steve and Bonnie Danner.

·Passing some unusual names for creeks in Oklahoma. My favorites were Hog Shooter Creek, Bacon Rind Creek and Little Chief Creek.

·Cooling down in the pool in Clayton, NM after my first ever 600-mile day. My hat’s off to all you Iron Butt’s.

·Prolonging Gunnison by riding home with Chris K and our mini adventure on Friday on Arkansas Roads.

·Learning my Garmin eMap can calculate distances. Smok’n.

·Calling home, not the physical place and talking with my wife and children, while they were out East, from the road and having them follow my travels on the map.

To the folks that didn’t have chance to either attend Mayhem or the Gathering do what you can to make whatever next gathering this group is planning. You won’t be disappointed and you will build upon relationships that you will cherish. Until or paths cross again, God be with you.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, how about Arkansas for the next Un? smile.gif

russell_bynum

In reply to:

Year’s ago a close friend challenged me to make memories so that when I was too old to do anything I’d have some wonderful memories to replay. This day will be with me forever. Thanks again.

And thank YOU, sir. What a great time that was. That day was everything that a group ride should be. Good food, lots of laughs, great roads, and a bit of adversity...and the whole group pulled together. I loved it when we were stopped at the Texaco with Lester's throttle cable broken. Someone (mabye SageRider) suggested that only a few of us needed to stay...the rest could go on back to the KOA and still make dinner. We all looked at each other and said, "We're in this together." Wow. Feelin' the love.

This has been such a great series of Ride Tales, thank you for sharing this with us.

In reply to:

To the folks that didn’t have chance to either attend Mayhem or the Gathering do what you can to make whatever next gathering this group is planning

That would be TORREY, BABY!!! Be there or be square...and leave your peg feelers and chicken strips at home...they'd just get messed up out in Utah anyway. laugh.gif

See you down the road.

Yeeha! Stephen

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot, how about Arkansas for the next Un? " MurrayG

I think there's some folks down here around Cowtown that don't want to wait that long!

*****************************************************************************************************

"Emerson, let's do the Talamena Drive this fall when the leaves turn. How about it, Pie-Town Crew? Let's do some Arkansas. Austin folks are welcome to stay w/ me on the way up. Murray, pick a date. We can be there for lunch from Dallas." Brian Mc

Great snyopsis of your experiences. I think you left out the sexy looks you were getting from the Silverton town folk at your legs in shorts and riding boots.

I'll be in CA for my 20th wedding anniversary on the last week of September. Anytime after that for a trip into the OZARK's sounds like a good time. Count me in.

Murrayg et al: Tried to E you off-line but it got kicked back. Our club is planning a fall colors ride to ARK and I wanted to e you the info. E me off-line and I'll send it by return.

Enjoyed your observations brother. I recall a few of those creek names you mentioned. Looks like we travelled many of the same roads.

I think Murray has found the sweet spot of motorcycling-the spiritual. Riding is fun, but it when a rider arrives at the spiritual aspect of riding, he has found peace.

In reply to:

"Emerson, let's do the Talamena Drive this fall when the leaves turn. How about it, Pie-Town Crew? Let's do some Arkansas. Austin folks are welcome to stay w/ me on the way up. Murray, pick a date. We can be there for lunch from Dallas." Brian Mc

In reply to:

Brian, and pie-town crew how about Oct. 17-19. Let me know what you have in mind and I'll get with the planning. smile.gif

FLIronButtRider

I'd love to but I think I'll be heading to the TX BMW reunion here in the Hill Country....wanna come down for it?

Mike:

I'm going to pass this time, but keep me in mind. I know you have some tricks to teach me about riding in a more spirited manner. smile.gif

Archived