IGNORED

April 08 RT problem.Handlebar movement to the right causes complete shutdown.

MattStLouis

MattStLouis

I guess it is time for my every 1000 mile problem. I start the bike and turn the handle bars to the right and it is like I turned the key off. Turn the bars back to the left and everything but the engine comes back on. Is this the ignition doing this?

Thanks,

Matt

Probably a broken wire in the ignition switch harness. It will break at the point the harness flexes when the bars are turned. You may have to remove the tupperware / tank to see. If you can get to it slice open the harness at that point and look for a broken wire. Sometimes the wire insulation will not be broken, but the conductor will be.

Happy Hunting wave.gif

Steve

ShovelStrokeEd

Nope, it is a harness routing/cable tie problem.

Pull the tank and cut the wire ties up near the steering head, replacing them with one loose tie. Pay particular attention to the wiring leading up to your ignition switch making sure to re-position it so there is no stress on it with the bars turned fully in either direction.

James Clark
It's an '08. I wouldn't touch it. I'd take it back to the dealer and get him to fix it under warrenty.

His profile says '97 R1100RT. I think "April 08" just means he's logging the date.

I had similar problems on my 03 1150rt and the first tie wrap down the ignition switch harness was tight and caused a stress point in the wires and they broke...sounds funny but true. There was a recall for the 03's but if this is an 08 model...I would tell the dealer to come get it and bring you a cold case of beer on the way.

If you can't see an obvious broken wire, then loosen the zip ties, open the wiring bundle, start the engine, and wiggle wires until the engine quits. With luck, you can splice it.

A problem I once had with a 97 RT1100 was the block connector under the ignition barrel. Corrosion had set in. A quick squirt of WD40 soon cured the problem.

It's an '08. I wouldn't touch it. I'd take it back to the dealer and get him to fix it under warrenty.

His profile says '97 R1100RT. I think "April 08" just means he's logging the date.

Surely he isn't talking about an R1100RT, because this is the Hexhead forum. I must assume it is an 08RT.

Andy

This got here due to an error - it does indeed refer to an 1100 with a failure in April 08. The issue has been identified (broken wire) and so this thread has no further purpose.

Andy

Archived