IGNORED

OOPS... Generator light came on (Airhead Question)

R80RTKen

Hey everyone... The generator light came on this evening, and while it used to go off at ~3000 RPM, now its staying on. Im not sure the mileage

but I suspect the ole gal has nearly 60k on her, and from what Ive read on the intar-web I probably need to replace the brushes...

Im hoping thats all it is.... havent actually opened her up yet..

Has anyone done this? I found Bob Fleishers tutorial

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/188/98/

Thoughts? Experiences? Gotchas?

Thanks

-Ken

too old to care

Have not done that, but I did replace the diode board for the same problem. You may want to check it while you are in there.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to check the brushes in the alternator. My 650LS did that one time. new brushes made it all happier. The diode board usually does not care if you reve it or not. Brushes are fairly simple but do require some assembly. If you do go for a diode board, concider a thunderchild. It made my 89GS charge 12 volts at an idle. :grin:

• 3 weeks later...
Slartidbartfast

Brushes would be my first suggestion also, although there are many other possibilities, including loose grounds and other loose connections, up to and including a blown rotor or stator, or broken diode-board mounts leading to a short (although the smoke would alert you to that one of it happened.)

An ungraded diode board would not increase the charging capability or voltage output - but any installation of a new diode board that included nice clean, tight connections and a solid ground would help improve charging.

louisvillebob

Ken:

A few more hints:

Take that part seriously about disconnecting the negative battery connection, unless u like to generate other problems while u are attempting to fix this one.

While u are checking the brushes, check the rotor slip ring (that the brushes ride against). After many miles, it may have a thin layer of ozides on it. Brighten it up gently with fine emery cloth to assure good connection.

While u are in the alternator, make sure all spade lugs and connections are clean, and apply a small bit of electrical grease to each connection (retards corrosion). That's a good idea for all motorcycle electrical connections, in general.

Rick, at Motorrad Electrik, has written a great little reference book for the airhead charging system. It's worth it!

Good luck with ur repair.

Archived