IGNORED

K12 or FJR?

HappyMan

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing either an 04 K or an 07 FJR. He wanted my opinion on the bikes and I was hoping someone here that owns them could pipe in as well.

I looked at the FJR before I bought my Triumph but I can't remember if they fixed the heat problem or not.

Big decisions are the great price of an 07 FJR vs. the Beemer. I know the Beemer is a killer bike and what a sweet ride but is it worth the extra 5K?

Let the opinions begin..... wave.gif

Calvin  (no socks)

The 04 is a sled... FJR without question....

Now an 05 or up.....go with the new K engine. DAMHIK

adreniline is addictive.

I've heard of some surging issues as well as the FJR being a little top heavy. Of course, I suspect someone's just whining. Any idea if the bike still throws a lot of heat on the rider?

Calvin  (no socks)

I have an 03 GT and an 05s... No heat issues in full gear all summer long....100 degree heat and full gear... It's just plain hot and muggy...Keep moving... thumbsup.gif

I'm kind of partial to the FJR myself but I don't want to lead him to what I think. He needs to buy the bike that turns his crank. I know the K is a beautiful bike and I know the fit and finish on the Beemer is fantastic but it's hard to beat what the Yamaha offers for the price.

I have a 05 FJR which is a real ball burning in city traffic, my 05 RT is by far more comfortable but also allot

slower. The FJR at high speeds (100+) feels stable where as the RT wants to float around, perhaps the K12 is different

ShovelStrokeEd

The K12 is solid as a rock at 100+ speeds, in fact it is boring to ride up to its top speed, somewhere in the mid 140's. I have also put quite a few miles on oil head RT bikes and never noticed any floaty sensation. Windshield is important there and the stocker or a cut down stocker is better than the big sails some people like to use.

As to the FJR, I've only done a couple of local test rides on used ones at my multi-line dealer. I didn't notice any particular heat issues on either the '05 or '06 bikes I rode. Of course, I did have actual riding pants and boots on. I strongly suspect the heat "issue" is noticed more by folks who tend to ride in jeans, slacks or even, gasp, shorts. BTW, if you ever really want to par boil your nads, ride a mid 80's K bike in 90 degree or higher heat and stop and go traffic. eek.gif

Both nice rides.

Don't listen to Calvin.

His GT never went above 3k and spent most of it's life on his lift. grin.gif

Depending on how big your friend is, and the type of riding he wants to do, one may be somewhat better than the other.

Riding style, roads, range required are some factors.

FJR is too small for my feet. Was told that I could cut/hack/fix. Not interested. FJR has a super drivetrain/powerplant. Smooth, good service intervals.

K's fit me better. Smooth, lots of power, not more than FJR, but different expression.

This truly will be a personal decision.

Best wishes.

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing either an 04 K or an 07 FJR. He wanted my opinion on the bikes and I was hoping someone here that owns them could pipe in as well.

I looked at the FJR before I bought my Triumph but I can't remember if they fixed the heat problem or not.

Big decisions are the great price of an 07 FJR vs. the Beemer. I know the Beemer is a killer bike and what a sweet ride but is it worth the extra 5K?

Let the opinions begin..... wave.gif

Okay, well, we have both so let me tell you the differences and you can decide for yourself. Since my husband rides them both these are his opinions.

Fit and finish on K12 can't be beat. FJR is well done but that K12 is just gorgeous.

K12 steers heavy, FJR flicks around easier and is overall more fun to ride for me.

K12 expensive to maintain, FJR much more economical

FJR (my 05 model)throws up heat. It's bearable for me but some find it unbearable. When it gets warm out I prefer the K12. It has no heat issue whatsoever and the smaller windscreen allows for better ventilation. There is no big deal heat issue on 06 or later models.

Sidecases on the FJR are both full size as opposed to the one undersized case on the K12.

Seating is very different. You sit IN the K12 and ON the FJR.

Gas tank holds are larger capacity on FJR; 6.6 gallons as opposed to 5.5 on the K12.

We look forward to hearing what your friend decides and if we can answer anymore questions....fire away.

Thanks Laura. He said he was going to go to the dealer tomorrow and talk real money for the FJR tomorrow. You've all been very helpful. He hasn't decided yet but is leaning toward the Yamaha but he sat on the 04 Beemer today and still can't get over how good the Beemer feels. I know that feeling! The 04 he has his eye on has 30K on it and is about a grand higher than the new 07 FJR.....tough choice.

BTW, if you ever really want to par boil your nads, ride a mid 80's K bike in 90 degree or higher heat and stop and go traffic. eek.gif

HUH??? I have NEVER had that problem with my '86 K100RT. The only heat problem I have ever had was my lower legs got damn hot on a hot day if I was not wearing boots. Since I almost always wear riding boots, I no longer have any heat problem on it at all. Certainly there was never any problem with heat higher than half way up to my knees and above.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW, if you ever really want to par boil your nads, ride a mid 80's K bike in 90 degree or higher heat and stop and go traffic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HUH??? I have NEVER had that problem with my '86 K100RT. The only heat problem I have ever had was my lower legs got damn hot on a hot day if I was not wearing boots. Since I almost always wear riding boots, I no longer have any heat problem on it at all. Certainly there was never any problem with heat higher than half way up to my knees and above.

My former 96 K1100RS warmed my inner thighs on days over 90. On 100 degree days it was extremely uncomfortable. But it never stooped me from wanting to ride! thumbsup.gif

Coming in late... I traded my GS for a Sport Tourer in late November (11/28/07 to be exact cool.gif). Test rode the FJR, the Connie, the RT, and the GT.

Obviously, I chose the GT (signature). Ultimately, for me, the seating position and the options was what gave the edge to the GT to me.

Pure raw power (and torque), the Connie 14 can't be beat. I did not like the seating position, or the lack of options, though.

Second in line from a power (and torque) perspective, as well as riding posture, was the GT. Fit and finish are impeccable. Options galore. Still happy with my choice.

Third from a power (and torque) - as well as from a seating position comfort - perspective was the FJR. I liked riding it more than the Connie, but a smidget less than the GT; and the available options on the GT made my choice a no-brainer. If purchase price (and possibly ongoing maintenance cost) had been a limitation, this would have been my choice - ROI/value is almost unbeatable in this set-up, I think.

The RT was nice, but the riding position was too upright, the fairing too big, and the engine/power band too close to the GS; not an option for my intended 'upgrade.'

Still happy with the GT, although the stock tires suck (will replace mine with Pilot Road 2's at my 6000-mile service next week).

Definitely suggest your pal test-ride them all. Different strokes for different folks - I could see me on an FJR, especially if it wasn't for the (IMO) better ABS and brakes, heated grips & seats, on-board computer, and eons ahead electronic suspension adjustment, of the GT...

[Edit: Re-read original post... Just to clarify: If my choice had been FJR or pre-2nd-gen GT, I'd have opted for the FJR!]

Thanks Laura. He said he was going to go to the dealer tomorrow and talk real money for the FJR tomorrow. You've all been very helpful. He hasn't decided yet but is leaning toward the Yamaha but he sat on the 04 Beemer today and still can't get over how good the Beemer feels. I know that feeling! The 04 he has his eye on has 30K on it and is about a grand higher than the new 07 FJR.....tough choice.

eek.gifNo way.

That is too high for the K bike.

We recently sold an '03 in perfect condition, w/low mileage, for @$10,000.

Have an '04 GT, w/options added and much lower mileage than 30k for $10,000.

Just sold a K1200 S, w/ custom options for less than a new FJR.

Unless I'm misssing something form your post, what are the numbers?

I don't have the exact numbers but they are real close to what I've stated. My memory isn't the best and he told me over the phone.

I don't remember the exact figure but the brand new 07 FJR was around $10,800 and the K was about a grand more. I haven't asked him but I suspect that the FJR is stripped. No ABS or heated accessories.

Thanks for the input. I'll pass it on to him. thumbsup.gif

JerryMather

Owning a '98 KRS that I picked up a few years ago for $7,000.00 from a dealer with 14,000 miles and the full Ohlin's package on it. I wouldn't spend anymore than that for another one. I've seen newer ones than mine nowadays for the same price or very close to that.

But if I was to choose between the two bikes to buy, I'd be leaning towards the FJR instead of the KRS. Both are nice bikes but I kinda like the Yamaha, maybe because I already own a BMW and wouldn't have a problem with going to a different brand, that in my opinion is just as good or maybe even better in some areas then the one I have now.

The price would be the deal breaker for me. If I couldn't get an FJR at a great price and I knew I could get another BMW at what I paid for mine already, I'd continue to be a Beemer guy and enjoy it without thinking I made the wrong decision.

For comparison, we've got an '04 GT, w/bags, laminar lip, PIAA's, BMW aux brake light, ram mounts, heated seats and grips,bar backs, electric screen, cruise, low mileage, @$10,000.

He should be able to get the K for less.

Best wishes.

This may be an option for you. Let's say you find a smokin deal on a pre-owned FJR. Your buddy rides it for 6 months and decides he wants to get a K bike. Sells the FJR for let's say what he paid for it and then goes and buys the K bike. I say this because this is pretty much what happened with me and the 04/05 RT I bought. Got a great deal on the 04 RT in Texas in Dec. 04. Rode it from May 05 to Dec. 05. Saw the ad for the 05 RT in Dec. 05 and bought it. Sold the 04 RT for exactly what I paid for it minus the sales taxes and one service (about $900). Now I have the bike I really wanted and all is good. One thing to remember, there will always be bikes out there for sale. As far as I can see Yamaha and BMW keep building them and people will continue to sell them in the aftermarket so there will always be a supply for someone to buy. As a friend told me, "there may not be a market for a seller, but there is always a market for a buyer".

Tell him good choice.

And, the K bike will be available for less when he's ready to move up to a real bike. dopeslap.gifgrin.gif

<snip>

And, the K bike will be available for less when he's ready to move up to a real bike. <slap>

They have 'K bike' Harley's now? lmao.gif

Don't know much about the K1200GT but I have ridden one and they don't call them the flying bricks for nothing. They take a heavy hand to turn and have a long wheel base so they are great on the sweepers but a chore on tight twisty roads.

The 05 FJR has some heat issues, which can be fixed, especially around the nose of the tank, it will roast the family jewels. Also the suspension on the 05 just plain flat sucks so plan on replacing the shocks immediately. One more thing, the FJR handles very nimbly but does not have a lot of ground clearance. If your friend is going to ride hard and lean the bike over he will be dragging parts almost immediately assuming the bike has the stock shocks. Overall the FJR is a great looking bike with a smooth engine and transmission.

My two cents worth.

Cheers!

Todd

RichEdwards

I sure wish folks who say they have been on a K1200GT would specify if the bike was pre- or post- 2006. The post-2006 GT is a whole different bike---lighter and more powerful (and more nimble, in my opinion) than the previous model. BMW should have given the new model a new name--something like 'K1200GTX'. wave.gif

The post-2006 GT is a whole different bike---lighter and more powerful (and more nimble, in my opinion) than the previous model.

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

I sure wish folks who say they have been on a K1200GT would specify if the bike was pre- or post- 2006. The post-2006 GT is a whole different bike---lighter and more powerful (and more nimble, in my opinion) than the previous model. BMW should have given the new model a new name--something like 'K1200GTX'. wave.gif

Naw, they just made a lightweight version, a pale imitation, for those old men who couldn't handle the original. tongue.gif

It's funny how many ST1300's, FJR riders come to a BMW shop to trade.

Don't see many GT's at the HundudYamuhzookey that have been traded in. grin.gif

Everybody make a good sport tourer, for someone.

The GT is more expensive, initially, but I would wager that 6-10 years down the road the cost factor has swung significantly in favor of the beemer.

Parts availabilty, resale, ride quality, etc...

YMMV.

Archived