IGNORED

Fuel Capacity on 12GS

David

Ran it down to where the countdown indicator read "0" and then another 4 miles after that. I was going to remove the tank and figured I'd just experiment while doing it.

Put 5.62 gallons in to bring it to the bottom of the metal lip.

Yeah, I took the rubber thing out, and this is the first time I'd filled it without that in place. Very easy to take out and put back (if you change your mind). No tools required.

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

12rubbergasket.jpg

I did that, and tested it the other day, finally filled up with 11 miles left to go, according to the rid, had 200 miles on the tank, and put in 5.2 gallons

right at 40mpg, with very little above 80MPH.

this speedo is the most accurate I ahve had on a bike, its only about a mile an hour off at speed, according to the GPS.

So the K and GS have the same capacity? There's a certain Texan I ride with that may be going back to the GS side. This will make our tank ranges nearly identical.

I need to make sure he knows this since "extended range" was one of reasons cited for moving back to the GS.

So the K and GS have the same capacity? There's a certain Texan I ride with that may be going back to the GS side. This will make our tank ranges nearly identical.

Say "hi" to Steve M. for me. tongue.gif I have sources.

I need to make sure he knows this since "extended range" was one of reasons cited for moving back to the GS.

But the mileage on a 12GS is far higher than on a K. smile.gif

Alan Crofts
But the mileage on a 12GS is far higher than on a K. smile.gif

Depends on your K cool.gif my chipped K1100LT gets about 47mpg most of the time at 80mph+ cruising, only dips below 45 rarely, only dips just below 40 when "making progress" on Alpine twisties or similar... Oh, I'm 20 and like both comfort and performance, so riding the bike reasonably hard behind the barn door fairing with the screen up means the economy probably could be even better grin.gif but keeping easy pace with BMWs etc on autobahns gets just too tempting...

Paul Mihalka

Depends on your K cool.gif my chipped K1100LT gets about 47mpg most of the time at 80mph+ cruising, only dips below 45 rarely, only dips just below 40 when "making progress" on Alpine twisties or similar... Oh, I'm 20 and like both comfort and performance, so riding the bike reasonably hard behind the barn door fairing with the screen up means the economy probably could be even better grin.gif but keeping easy pace with BMWs etc on autobahns gets just too tempting...

Are we talking Imperial Gallon or US Gallon? Besides, K1200RS and GT get much worse gas mileage than K1100LT or K1200LT. I guess the tuning to get 130HP makes them hungry.

Are we talking Imperial Gallon or US Gallon? Besides, K1200RS and GT get much worse gas mileage than K1100LT or K1200LT. I guess the tuning to get 130HP makes them hungry.

Vicious. Just vicious.

An email from MuchFasterpill this morning recognized the change from his K100RS. He may require a name change to LivingAtThePumpSoICanGoFasterpill. (And a side note... Duh. I just finally figured out "Fasterpill".)

BMW (not a direct response to you, Paul, since I'm sure you're aware) made a big deal of the improved mileage when they detailed the size of the tank. That's what makes the bigger tank in the R12RT so exciting, if they managed to keep the percentage mileage increase and added capacity, there will be some great range on that machine.

Greg

Archived