IGNORED

Three castles before breakfast

Boffin

This morning dawned bright and sunny but cold with some ice still about. I wrapped up warm, turned on the heated grips and set off for a tour of a few local castles. I started with the nearest one, Kirby Muxloe castle, a brick built fortified manor house whose construction began in 1480 for Lord Hastings. However he made a few political errors, and after his exection in 1483 the building was abandoned.

kirby69sf.jpg

I then nipped down the M69 motorway onto the A46 and into Kenilworth. The gates to this castle were still locked at 9 on a Sunday morning so I took a few pictures from outside. the first castle built on this site was in Saxon times, with the first stone mott and bailey castle built in 1132. The existing structure evolved over the centuries and once played host to Queen Elizabeth 1st. Her arrival was apparently a magnificent spectacle with fireworks heard 20 miles away. A large crowd watched the arrival, including it is said, an 11 year old called William Shakespear. This event is said to have inspired his "A Midsummers nights dream".

kenolworth30il.jpg

On then to Warwick Castle, now owned by Madame Tussauds, it is one of the best preserved medieval castles in England, occupied until the late 60's. Work to preserve this magnificent castle continues, as can be seen by the picture. The internal views are magnificent, but the entry fee too high for a brief visit, so once again I have posted a view from afar. The occupants of Warwick castle over the years made astute judgements about when to side with whom, so keeping both their heads and their castle.

warwick32ry.jpg

After this I set off to home via country roads. A stop by the Oxford Canal to look at the narrow boats awaiting their summer duties carrying tourists down our extensive canal network. Once a low-cost holiday, now only for the well heeled - a two week holiday in high season will cost over £2000

boats10sn.jpg

Once home my wife had waiting for me my Sunday breakfast - a traditional full english, just the thing after my three hour 95 mile jaunt.

Cya, Andy

thumbsup.gif

I forgot to say, Kenilworth castle was granted to Simon De Montfort, Earl of Leicester, by King John IV. De Montfort went on to lead the Barons revolt that lead to the signing of Magna Carta, leading to him being known as the Father of Democracy. Not bad for a fabulously wealthy and extremely powerful French immigrant grin.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Where are you at in the UK relative to London?

Mike O

I am in central England about 120 miles North of London, not far from Birmingham which may be on your maps.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Andy

Stayed at a castle while touring spain I believe it was in Cardonna. Cool experience. Thanks for the pics.

Mike

Dublin, Ohio thumbsup.gif

I have also done that Parador thing, a great scheme by the Spanish govt.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Where are you at in the UK relative to London?

Mike O

I am in central England about 120 miles North of London, not far from Birmingham which may be on your maps.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Andy,

Should have said first... My Aunt lives in New Bedfordshier, Leighton Buzzard (think thats how you spell it.) Mostly agricultural area. Took the train from London north to visit her last time I was there. Quite a small 'hole-in-the-wall' as we say over here.

Regards,

Mike O

[Andy,

Should have said first... My Aunt lives in New Bedfordshier, Leighton Buzzard (think thats how you spell it.) Mostly agricultural area. Took the train from London north to visit her last time I was there. Quite a small 'hole-in-the-wall' as we say over here.

Regards,

Mike O

I think youll find it Bedfordshire not "new" Bedfordshire - that sounds very colonial grin.gifgrin.gif

Leighton Buzzard is about 75 miles southeast of my abode - and about the typical size of an English market town - we do things on a small scale over here - see my post on a ride to the pub for a picture of our National Forrest grin.gifgrin.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

I think youll find it Bedfordshire not "new" Bedfordshire - that sounds very colonial grin.gifgrin.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Quite the tall Oak you have in your National Forest. And next time I'm over, you'll have to show me Vic's. (Particularly on a nite they're filming thongs. wink.gif

Regards,

Mike O

Quite the tall Oak you have in your National Forest. And next time I'm over, you'll have to show me Vic's. (Particularly on a nite they're filming thongs. wink.gif

It's a date, I'm always up for a decent excuse to visit an evenings entertainment at the Vic. grin.gif

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Ah, man, just lovely pictures! Makes me ache to go back. Spent 20 months near Bedford, UK in 60's (USAF). Would love to return on two wheels.

Thanks for the pics!

Glenn thumbsup.gif

Andy,

Enjoyed your tale and pix. The castles were outstanding. Especially appreciated as we're a little short of castles here in Alaska.

Dave

Leighton Buzzard is about 75 miles southeast of my abode

Uh, shouldn't that read castle as in "A mans home is his castle"? grin.gif

Nice images/story thumbsup.gif

This is a coincidence. A year ago I inherited this pen and ink picture that was drawn in 1905 by W.M. Davies - a great-great-great-great uncle, I believe. I was just looking at it tonight, wondering what castle it is, and now Andy has supplied my answer. Very cool.

471020-warwick.jpg

I note that my uncle took some liberties. The octangonal tower became square in his picture. Still, it is clearly the same building from almost exactly the same angle, one hundred years earlier.

The blob in the sky covers the reflection of my camera's flash.

Francois_Dumas

Cool indeed. I think the artist had some problems drawing octagonal towers, so he changed the one on the right to fit his skills !? grin.gifgrin.gif

I think he left the octagonal tower out and slightly extended the gatehouse tower, still a well executed picture that is clearly Warwick castle thumbsup.gif.

The pictures were both made from the bridge over the river Avon that carries the main road into town.

Cya, Andy thumbsup.gif

Archived