IGNORED

ATGATT

Jacqueline

BeniciaRT_GT

Perhaps we should call this one:

Never leave your keys in your bike when Jacqueline's around.

ESPECIALLY when your SO thinks she is 5'11" when she is only 5' on a GOOD day!

Firefight911

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Blame it on the new tire!!! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Was gonna ask since the front tire looks brand new slippery.

Sad either way, sorry to see/hear it Richard. bncry.gif

Is it now Colonial Tippy? Or maybe a demotion to Major Tippy.

There's just something wrong about the way that looks.... bncry.gif

Hope everyone is ok. Mentally AND physically. wink.gif

ATGATT, indeed.

MB>

I, too, am curious as to how this happened. If I had to guess, I would say that the top case was instrumental---probably loaded to heavy and a big gust of wind came around and blew the bike over. I am curious as to how your left ankle fared. I hope that you are well and ready and willing to get back on again when the bike is all fixed up. Wha'pen?

Calvin  (no socks)

First off, hope everyone is OK!

Now the obvious:

The presidents secret economic stimulus package...(PHASE II) all 5ft of her....grin.gif

It kept the cable companies in business in Florida.

Now body/paint shops in Kali can survive....

Richard, get some frame sliders and city lids with the Government check! dopeslap.gif

Ouch! Hope it was a simple step off but it wouldn't surprise me if she power wheelied around the corner and lost it avoiding a small seeing eye dog helping a little ole lady across the street.

Also, glad the SO bit is out. grin.gif

Bill

Ouch.

frown.gif

Can you find the differences between these 2 pictures?

There are 17.

226681797-S.jpg

269583238_Bg4kc-XL.jpg

I think the most significant difference would be that somebody remembered to use the side stand on the top pix blush.gif ...

Seriously though, I hope everyone and everything is alright!

That one looks expensive but not too awful violent..

Should have been on this one! The bike ended up over 70' from where it was hit.. I ended up inside the car in front of me.. LEO investagator estimated the hit at about 50 mph & I was sitting still waiting to make a L/H turn..

IMG_2707.jpg

Twisty

Never leave your keys in your bike when Jacqueline's around.

ESPECIALLY when your SO thinks she is 5'11" when she is only 5' on a GOOD day!

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

smile.gif In my dreams I'm a leggy, red head that rides a GT... but I don't believe I sleep walk...

The rest of the story to be posted shortly crazy.gif

Should have been on this one! The bike ended up over 70' from where it was hit.. I ended up inside the car in front of me.. LEO investagator estimated the hit at about 50 mph & I was sitting still waiting to make a L/H turn..

IMG_2707.jpg

Twisty

that is one clean machine. did you wash it before the pic? lmao.gif

IMG_2707.jpg

Twisty

Jeeze, Twisty, that is an expensive way to show everyone where the oil filter is.....

Hope the driver was insured and that your damage was not too bad. If you don't mind me asking what were you wearing and did it work. If you say you were wearing a neon yellow jacket you will ruin this myth of mine that yellow is invincible.

BeniciaRT_GT

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!

We have a winner!!! Close anyway, as both tires were new and the rear went out first instead of the front.

Although I’d love to blame it solely on the tires, it really comes down to my fault! As with many accidents, there was an entire chain of events and I could have broken any link to prevent it, but I didn’t.

We had been planning to get away for the weekend for a while now, but recent events prevented me from getting prepared until right before the trip. I had done part of the 54,000 mile service earlier in the week, but finding the parts (moving sucks!) I needed for the oil and air filter change didn’t allow me to do those jobs until Friday. As a little more background, I had worked Thursday night, so Friday by the time I completed all the service and other stuff I’d been up a little over 24 hours straight. Part of Friday’s running around was trying to find a rear tire. My regular supplier, California Sport Touring had been unable to get me a rear tire I needed for several weeks, although they had the front sitting waiting on me for weeks now(Pilot Road II.) I finally found one at a Cycle Gear quite a ways out of the way, but since my Avon Storm was starting to show chords, I had to go get it (and pay more for it!!! dopeslap.gif.)

In my haste to get the newly mounted tires installed on the bike, I didn’t do my usual ritual of sandpaper and tire cleaner (or rubbing alcohol) on the tires before installing them on the bike. This was the beginning of the ugly event to follow.

I got the bike all put back together and made a mental note to clean the tires in the morning, which was another big mistake! (See above about sleep deprivation)

So after getting all ready to go Sat. morning, I rolled down (backwards) the driveway and as I started forward I found myself face down on my stomach watching my beloved GT spinning down the street, narrowly missing Jacqueline in the process. The bike did a full 450 degree pirouette.

This all happened faster than a sheep moves when it hears Wurty’s voice. lmao.gif

I had completely forgotten about the tires!

hutb2.jpg

It happened just as the clutch was out. I was probably somewhere around 8-12 mph. I was just starting a left turn and giving it a little throttle to offset the lean.

I was actually not that upset since I wasn’t hurt and I didn’t take Jacqueline out. Also, this could have been much worse if I had gotten any further down the road than I did.

Being one to want to know all the details of things, I actually went out and measured the entire event. I went 47 feet on the new tires, so I’m not going to give you my initial impression of the Pilot Road IIs at this point in the story. The language that comes to mind isn’t even fit for sailors! The bike slid/spun 44 feet before the curb stopped its progress. I can’t describe the sickening grinding sound I could hear as I watched the bike head down the street.

269973963_r9ERQ-L.jpg

My gear did its job, but I did get a bruise on top of my left foot, that has me limping pretty hard. I also did a little damage to my right bicep trying to hit the kill switch which made me hold on longer than I should have. (I was successful in getting the bike shut off though! clap.gif ) My gloves, Fieldsheer suit, and boots are toast. My helmet never touched the ground…

Left Knee:

269851482_uKsGW-L.jpg

Left hip:

269851908_e3NYj-L.jpg

Left boot:

269852196_Ccmmv-L.jpg

Gloves: (much worse than this picture conveys)

269850994_oYPkk-L.jpg

And the offending #@$!@ Tire:

269850836_T2EFm-L.jpg

As for the bike, it is structurally sound, but ugly:

269856294_aG9wg-L.jpg

I haven’t gotten an estimate, and I’m not sure I want to turn it into insurance for a claim yet…

This delayed our start for a bit, but after cleaning the tires, giving the bike a good inspection, and changing riding gear we headed off for our ride. (That ride “tail” will follow soon.) It was a great time and I love the (now scrubbed in) tires!

So the lesson of the day for me is never ride on new tires without cleaning them first and then slowly scrubbing them in. I knew better but recto-cranial insertion won over good judgment for a brief second, and that was all it took. bncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gifbncry.gif

Glad your ok. Sorry about the bike. Just put 2 new tires on mine last week/now I'll be even more careful for the first 50 or so miles. wave.gif

Francois_Dumas

Good thing you didn't have any of those ugly cylinders sticking out the sides !! cool.gif

Looks like a lot of property damage for just a small slippery-slide frown.gif Yuck !

Hope the driver was insured and that your damage was not too bad. If you don't mind me asking what were you wearing and did it work. If you say you were wearing a neon yellow jacket you will ruin this myth of mine that yellow is invincible.

Critcal, had a good helmet on,, good riding boots,, decent riding gloves,, & a leather coat on.. Not much for riding pants as just blue jeans..

The helmet & gloves were the important pieces as the car that hit me (A very young girl) knocked the bike out from under me so I started out by bouncing my helmet off the windshield of the car that hit me (put a big hole in it about the size of a basketball hit),, then up & over where the bike was (it was gone by then as it flipped up & way over to the side of the road).. I flew into the car in front of me (my head ended up next to the front car’s driver inside the car).. I don’t remember anything except looking in my rear view mirror & seeing the car about 10’ behind me.. She changed lanes at the last minute (I think to avoid a car there)..

Didn’t actually break anything but sure did bruise a lot of stuff I didn’t even know you could bruise.. Hurt my L/H shoulder more than anything as that put a 8” deep divot in the trunk lid or the car in front of me when I hit that.. A person that saw the accident said I looked like “rockery the flying squirrel”.. Like I said I was knocked out for a time so don’t remember the flying part..

Very unlucky to be hit to begin with,, very lucky to be alive after the hit.. The bike did a good job as that particular bike had an upswept exhaust on it so the bike lifted & flipped me in the air as the car bumper went under the up swept exhaust.. That kept me from getting squashed with the bike.. Gloves helped as they were all torn up but my hands were good inside the gloves.. The helmet was the big savior as that bounced off of two cars with my head inside it..

I rode one of my other bikes to work the next but it was a very painful ride..

Still have that helmet on the shelf as a reminder to ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET..

Insurance covered everything but I had to go a few rounds with her insurance company as they kept tying to delay the payouts to see if my insurance would pick up the incidentals.. Problem is my insurance would have if I wouldn’t have been watching & said NO to them paying..

The whole ordeal didn’t effect me too much as I kept right on riding & I saw a lot worse when I was in the armed forces.. But it did bother my wife pretty bad,, she is still uneasy about me commuting on a motorcycle every day..

Twisty

Glad to hear that you are OK. Lessons to be learned all around.

Am I the only one amazed at the gear damage from such a slow speed accident? Had you shown them first, I would have guessed a 50 MPH slide. Makes me even more cautious.

Francois_Dumas

Am I the only one amazed at the gear damage from such a slow speed accident?

Nope... look at what I wrote tongue.gif

russell_bynum

So the lesson of the day for me is never ride on new tires without cleaning them first and then slowly scrubbing them in. I knew better but recto-cranial insertion won over good judgment for a brief second, and that was all it took

FWIW, I've taken brand new Pilot Powers to the track and had my knee puck on the deck within 2 laps. I start out about 70% pace to make sure my head is on straight and figure out where the track is going. By the end of the first lap, I'm up to about 90% and halfway through the 2nd lap, I'm pretty much going for it. That's how I do it regardless of if I'm on brand new tires or ones that have already been scuffed in previous sessions. I never cleaned/scuffed the tires on any of our other bikes either.

I don't think cleaning/scuffing the tires manually is necessary. Just be smooth and don't try to break any lap records pulling out of your driveway and you'll be fine.

Sorry about the spill. I know that sickening "bike sliding on the ground" sound. frown.gif

BeniciaRT_GT
Glad to hear that you are OK. Lessons to be learned all around.

Am I the only one amazed at the gear damage from such a slow speed accident? Had you shown them first, I would have guessed a 50 MPH slide. Makes me even more cautious.

No you aren't the only one surprised by the damage to the gear! I figure I slid, AT Worst 10 feet, but more likely less than that.

I'm going to look into the stitching on the left side of the Fieldsheer suit, I'm not impressed with my my first look.

FWIW, I've taken brand new Pilot Powers to the track and had my knee puck on the deck within 2 laps.
Yeah, I'll also have to say that after countless tires changes I've never noticed so much as a twitch and I don't exercise any particular caution. But then again I don't ride a K1200GT... I think the amount of power available may have had as much to do with what happened as slick tires, or maybe some combination of the two factors.
russell_bynum
FWIW, I've taken brand new Pilot Powers to the track and had my knee puck on the deck within 2 laps.
Yeah, I'll also have to say that after countless tires changes I've never noticed so much as a twitch and I don't exercise any particular caution. But then again I don't ride a K1200GT... I think the amount of power available may have had as much to do with what happened as slick tires, or maybe some combination of the two factors.

OK...my Tuono makes a bit less power, but also weighs a bunch less than the GT. I don't do anything different.

The only time I'll really take any special care is when it is really cold outside. I've had a few big slides due to pushing too hard too soon on cold tires and cold road/track.

OK...my Tuono makes a bit less power, but also weighs a bunch less than the GT. I don't do anything different.
I know. I was just trying to be nice... wink.gif

Sorry about your bike and glad you weren't seriously injured. You certainly have a good attitude, all things considered. I cringe when I look at the bike and your gear.

Good thing you didn't have any of those ugly cylinders sticking out the sides !! cool.gif

Don't let me ever hear anyone complaining about "those ugly cylinders sticking out of the sides" grin.gifWithout them my legs would certainly be a different shape.....

29112007246zh3.th.jpg

29112007245hd5.th.jpg

29112007243eo0.th.jpg

29112007242ri3.th.jpg

29112007248ag8.th.jpg

From December last. http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/sh...true#Post962263

Anyway, all is well. Insurance paid up completely. I learned quite a lot from the experience and an awful lot from posts here on the forum. My 08 Biarritz Blue is fabulous. All I need now is time to ride it.

daveinatlanta

I'm glad only your pride was damaged - with a little paint scrape and bruise here and there. When I saw the pix, my first thought was new tires - mainly because I just got a new set this weekend and was extra careful when riding home. You'd think the tire manufacturers would scuff the new tires a little before shipping them - but then they wouldn't be perceived as new.

Glad your subsequent ride went ok. A little sandpaper and paint and your ride will be as good as new.

daveinatlanta
But it did bother my wife pretty bad,, she is still uneasy about me commuting on a motorcycle every day..

Understandable.

Stories like this remind me to keep a sharp eye on my mirrors and have an escape route just in case. I often get lazy...

I came down on my right knee and slid about 10 feet on my right hip in my Olympia Airglides last fall. The mesh looks worse in the photo than it is because of some dirt ground in. I'm still wearing them:

202462739_KA6bP-O.jpg

It was a low side going around a corner at 10-15 mph.

But it did bother my wife pretty bad,, she is still uneasy about me commuting on a motorcycle every day..

Understandable.

Stories like this remind me to keep a sharp eye on my mirrors and have an escape route just in case. I often get lazy...

Dave,, I usually do but there was nobody behind me when I stopped to make the L/H turn.. The car that hit me was in the next lane over & swerved into my lane at the last minute.. Even if I would have seen it coming I would only have had a second or less to react to it.. Not much you can do when it comes up that quickly..

Twisty

Archived