IGNORED

F800ST reduce clutch pull

NonComp

Is if feasible to reduce clutch pull on an F800ST by simply removing two clutch springs? If I'm right, this should reduce clutch pull by 33% while maintaining the clutch unit balance (assuming the clutch still has 6 springs in the '07 model). Aside from clutch slip, is there any other downside to this approach?

Is if feasible to reduce clutch pull on an F800ST by simply removing two clutch springs? If I'm right, this should reduce clutch pull by 33% while maintaining the clutch unit balance (assuming the clutch still has 6 springs in the '07 model). Aside from clutch slip, is there any other downside to this approach?

Glen, not sure how it will work on your F800 but it works just peachy on my Ducati.. No balance problems up to just short of 10,000 RPMs.. Just great in traffic & actually smoothes out the power shifts & keeps the front end from lifting so far on the WOT up shifts..

As long as you have enough spring pressure remaining to keep the clutch from slipping shouldn’t be a problem..

Twisty

Well, we pulled two springs this afternoon. Preliminary road testing seems to indicate that it runs fine and that the modification is a success. Will put the plastic back on for some more serious testing. Thx.

Aside from clutch slip, is there any other downside to this approach?

Possible distortion of the clutch basket from uneven spring pressure. Personally, I think the idea is totally nuts! You may not have clutch slippage now, but what about later when the clutch is worn and the spring force is less?

Well, we pulled two springs this afternoon. Preliminary road testing seems to indicate that it runs fine and that the modification is a success. Will put the plastic back on for some more serious testing. Thx.

Glen, glad to hear it worked for you.. Someone had to be the first to try it..

Same questions came up years ago when some of us pulled 2 springs form or Ducati’s.. Many thousands of miles since & good many of the Duc riders do it without any known problems.. Probably the only difference is the Duc riders replace their clutch plates every 12,000-15,000 miles as those dry clutches start rattling so bad you can’t stand it when idling at a stop light..

Keep an eye on it if you start loading the bike up then launching up hill..

Twisty

Possible distortion of the clutch basket from uneven spring pressure. Personally, I think the idea is totally nuts!
Well, this is a desperation move for a lady who is developing arthritis in her left hand. Her husband spent a week trying to adapt an easy clutch 2:1 pully system, only to find that the reach was now too great for her. He'll be only too happy to change the clutch assembly out on a regular basis if this works. Otherwise, the bike will be traded on a Burgman.
  • 4 weeks later...
John Bentall
Possible distortion of the clutch basket from uneven spring pressure. Personally, I think the idea is totally nuts!
Well, this is a desperation move for a lady who is developing arthritis in her left hand. Her husband spent a week trying to adapt an easy clutch 2:1 pully system, only to find that the reach was now too great for her. He'll be only too happy to change the clutch assembly out on a regular basis if this works. Otherwise, the bike will be traded on a Burgman.

The Burgman is a fantastic machine - also consider the Aprilia Mana motorcycle and look here http://www.nabd.org.uk/adaptions/javaindex.htm

Archived