IGNORED

K Bike Coolant

Larry

K Bike Coolant ok to use another brand?

I live over 100 miles from the nearest BMW dealer. I would like to avoid shipping a gallon of coolant. My question, any reason I can’t use an automotive coolant.

Thanks for the help. confused.gifconfused.gif

duckbubbles

Just make sure that it is compatible with aluminum engines. I think just about all modern anti-freeze will be. Prestone or any major brand will do. Mix it 50-50 with DISTILLED water. You can mix it 60% distilled water/40% antifreeze also. It might not be wise to use the long life orange stuff, but I don't have any experience with those.

When you are refilling the bike, put it on the side stand and pour the coolant in very slowly to allow air to escape. Too fast and it will burp out and make a mess. Wash off any spilled solution. You can squeeze the hoses some to work the air out. If your cap is working properly, it will take several heating and cooling off cycles to completely get all the air out. Watch the level in the expansion tank. It should go up about 10mm when hot and go down by that amount after the engine cools down (several hours/overnight).

Frank

thumbsup.gif Thanks for the reply, good information. I totaled my R1100RT. My friend had his 2003 K1200GT for sale. I rode it, fell in love, and decided to give it a new home. This is my first K bike, so I have much to learn.

When I do a coolant change. Make sure the radiator is full to the overflow and I capture every drop I drain out. I measure that amount before disposal. That way I know the exact amount that has to go back in! No worries about burping or if there is an air pocket. You have to put in what you took out. thumbsup.gif

Archived