IGNORED

650 GS twin coming to US

baggerchris

Last Saturday I rode a F650 GS with a low seat and was able to flat foot when stopped. It was one of the factory demo bikes (had just over 2100 miles on it) at the local dealer (the BMW factory truck was there with many models to test ride). I was very impressed with the performance from the two cylinder engine. The lighter weight of the bike compensated for the fewer ponies and I think it would keep up with some of the bigger bikes with a more modest sized rider.

I personally believe a BMW has a drive shaft and an air cooled horizontally opposed twin cylinder engine. My first BMW was a R69S in 1969.

Mine's in production and I have a VIN number. :Cool:

Sweet! Jamie just sat on one this week. You'll be seeing her F800ST in the classifieds just as soon as I can get home and finish up the post, etc.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, etc. once you have it!

Mine's in production and I have a VIN number. :Cool:

Sweet! Jamie just sat on one this week. You'll be seeing her F800ST in the classifieds just as soon as I can get home and finish up the post, etc.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, etc. once you have it!

Jamie's riding to Alaska??!!! :thumbsup:

Okay I got to sit on a low suspension low seat F650GS Blue today. I was able to get it up but I was on my very tippy tippy toe. I was excited that it felt so light!! When I get mine we are going to have to try to lower it at least 1 more inch! My dealer checked again and said it might only be 4 more weeks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jamie just test rode one today. Oh boy, I can see the looks already.

She flat loved it. regular suspension, low seat for her.

She did indicate that it will require farkling immediately.

Also, she said she wants the touring screen as the wind is a bit much with the fly screen while on the freeway.

She loved the feel of the bike overall. She really dug the riding position over her F8ST. Bars were a natural fit for her as well.

Here we go! Another monster created! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

She also had a bit of seat time (stationary) with the F8GS. She said no to it. Too tall and not needed for what she wants though she would really like the F8 engine instead of the detuned F6's.

It will be tough to lower it even more. Any chance with boots of a bit thicker soles? Even 1/2 inch makes a big difference.

Jamie just test rode one today. Oh boy, I can see the looks already.

She flat loved it. regular suspension, low seat for her.

She did indicate that it will require farkling immediately.

Also, she said she wants the touring screen as the wind is a bit much with the fly screen while on the freeway.

She loved the feel of the bike overall. She really dug the riding position over her F8ST. Bars were a natural fit for her as well.

Here we go! Another monster created! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

She also had a bit of seat time (stationary) with the F8GS. She said no to it. Too tall and not needed for what she wants though she would really like the F8 engine instead of the detuned F6's.

CeeBaileys makes a couple of tall screens for the F650 at a reasonable price Linky

Givi also has one, I believe, and also Skidmarx Linky

Wow. I couldn't imagine giving up my new F800ST, which I finally got, for the new F650GS. I've put a lot of miles on the ST already, and I love it. Maybe the new F650GS in addition to my F800ST. I rode the '09 F650GS at one of the demo rides at Victory BMW. I immediately noticed the change in the fork angle to my current 2006 F650GS. I don't mean to say that I didn't like the newer bike, it was cool to have the engine I have been asking for since the beginning, and the sixth gear I am continually searching for. But I don't get the aluminum wheels, it should have spoke wheels, and I don't know if I can live with the fork angle change. It's just me being picky. I do ride in the dirt and those are things I would think should be on a dual sport bike. Just my little opinion.

But I will probably trade up anyway next spring, the "old" F650GS for the new.

I'm pretty sure she is taller than me so the short windscreen probably is a problem for her we have read ride reports about other taller people and it was a problem, but with me when I sat on it the windscreen looked to be as tall as the one on my bike now and I don't have a problem with the wind but we will see if I ever get to actually ride it. I don't need much more in a bike myself so this one will probably be the last move upwards in power! If she does get it I want to know more details!!!! :clap:

Actually we are going to put a lower profile tire on the back to try to get one more inch. The dealer is looking for one and will have it put on for me. Because my legs are so short it has become a challenge for my dealer and others to make the bike fit me. I guess maybe I always look so sad when nothing works :cry: We had a good one ordered but they are no longer available?

I'm pretty sure we are on the right track this time and a big PLUS when I lifted the bike it felt very light which was a big concern since my little ninja is so light! I was so pumped when I left yesterday I think that's what prompted the dealer to try to track it again. I don't know who's more excited here?? The owner and two salesmen have been working on this for me. :clap: :clap:

Sorry to rain on your parade. Don't expect lowering the bike by 1 inch with a different tire. The stock tire is a 140/80x17. That means that on a 17" wheel you have a tire that is 140mm wide and 80% of that tall, that is 112mm. The only lower tire I can think of is a 130/80x17. That tire is 104mm tall (80% of 130) so the difference is 8mm, a bit over 1/4 inch. But every fraction of a inch counts. You need very little to go from ball of your feet to almost flat footed, or flat footed on one side and ball of the foot on the other side.

Paul, I heard in a PM that the bike she sat on did not sag at all when she got on. I'm thinking that with the pre-load properly adjusted she should get at least an inch of sag, maybe more, but it's a factory lowered bike. What do you think?

I don't know, but it would be odd if a new bike in the showroom does not have the preload at the lowest. That's the way they come in the crate.

Sorry to rain on your rain, but I do math better ha, the stock 140/80/17 is 25.819" Diameter. The 150/60/17 is 24.087" which is 1.8" so half is .9" lower.

That size tire is made by Avon distanzia, should be in stock in 2 weeks. The bike will be here in about 4 weeks.

Oh, lets don't go there on the preload, I am not allowed to release Jean's weight!

Any more questions? :wave:

Jean,

Good luck to you on this! I hope you can find a way to make it fit. I am 5'2", 120 lbs. and have had the worst time over the years, trying to make bikes fit, "wasting" money on a succession of bikes that included big Ducatis (what was I thinking??). When I finally got the factory lowered 2006 F650GS, it was like the whole world opened up to me. It wasn't just that it was lowered, it was also because it is so well-balanced. I found the same with the new F800ST (new to me, it is an '08), factory lowered, lowest seat available. I literally rode it out of the showroom and it took about 10 feet for me to be acclimated to it. I have NEVER been able to do that before. I rode it 220 miles for my "first" ride, and the bike was all I wanted -- and more. I liked it so much I rode it 300 miles the next day! The guys at my dealer also had to mess around with the "sag" before I left there because how they had it adjusted, it didn't even move when I got on it. I said, "See? You have to make it softer!" They adjusted it then, but I am still experimenting. Probably will have to back it off all the way except when loaded for a long trip.

Oh, my '06 F650GS has the Dakar windscreen on it, which is okay most of the time, I've toured with it over the past two summers, and the F800ST has the stock windscreen, which so far is fine. I am happy to have a little protection with the windscreen and an actual fairing!

Again, good luck. It is the best feeling when you finally find the bike that is right.

- Jo

Thank you very much! I have been fortunate in my life to have married a mechanical engineer and pretty darn cute fella too, who can take most things and make adjustments to make it work perfectly! :grin:

On my Suzuki it was perfect height but it had forward controls and I hated that, so he fixed that for me. When I first purchased the Ninja it was way to tall so he lowered it for me before they had a lowering kit. In fact he help a guy with the new 08 Ninja lowering fabrications for production. :thumbsup:

I am 5'2" with a 26" inseam. Another poster Bullet is 5'2" with a 29" inseam. That really isn't fair!! But she has inspired me a lot to make it work no matter what! Which means more work for my husband..... :/

I think people think they are stuck with what comes off the showroom floor but sometimes so much more can be done if you can find a knowledgeable fabricator. Any way we are going to have a lot of fun when this bike gets here!! :clap: :clap:

I'm sure you will be tearing up the country on that bike, Jean!

And I'm looking forward to seeing you on your own bike next time y'all come out west (or maybe we come east). It will be more difficult to get those great wildlife shots from the driver's seat, but you've already got your pictures of bear. :thumbsup:

The F800GS only has more torque and power than the F650GS above about 6000rpm. Which is an area of the rev range that I seldom use for more than a few seconds at a time. The F800GS feels like it has more power simply because it is lower geared than the F650GS. Put the front sprocket from the 800 onto the 650 and the power will feel almost exactly the same on both bikes.

I have ridden both bikes. My F650GS is fitted with the smaller front sprocket, a low-cost improvement on the original that better suits my needs. I also prefer the ease of change of direction that the smaller front wheel gives the 650.

Thank you they are new additions to the family after the sad passing of 3 very wonderful cats in the last 6 months. We like to adopt from the pound any chance we get! :thumbsup:

Got a call from Renn at SLC BMW Motorcycles this afternoon to talk about the bike. It is somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean ( Linky )

on this

2208.jpg

ship. The "Ever Dainty." You have got to love the name. :/ I'm hoping for fair weather and calm seas. Can you spot the container with my bike in it? :grin::lurk:

We shouldn't have to worry about the German U-boats, hopefully!

Jean's could be on that same boat, it is like 2 weeks out, so if the boat takes another week, then a week for longshoremen to unload it, hmmmm!

Ever Dainty is in the middle of the ocean, at the rate he is moving, could be 2 more weeks before America ho!

Boy oh boy, won't you and Bullet be p-o'd when Jamie's red one is sitting in the garage before that? :/:grin::wave:

Scheduled NYC the 21st to the 24th, depending who you believe, then I think somewhere else and finally Charleston 3 to 4 days later. Where does BMW debark?

I don't know were BMW debarks,but if we are coming from the east to the west I think Louisiana is closer to the east than Utah or California for sure!! I will let you guys know how she rides!! :thumbsup:

When is Jamie's due in??

I could answer that question . . . oh heck with it!!

It is on the showroom floor NOW!! Just got off phone with dealer and am doing the deed as we speak - literally!!!

It's RED!!!!!!!! We're getting the touring screen, handguards with large spoilers, and top case and bracket for now. When she sets off, we'll get the side cases and brackets for it.

This is gonna be a good week!!!!!!

I pick this up tomorrow morning!!!!

F650GS-08-RED.JPG

Jessica Rabbit is gonna LOVE this!!!!! (If this makes no sense, check our new avatars!)

Top box and bracket

Touring windscreen and bracket

Handguards and large spoilers

Regular and low seats

Out with the old, in with the new.

When is Jamie's due in??

I could answer that question . . . oh heck with it!!

It is on the showroom floor NOW!! Just got off phone with dealer and am doing the deed as we speak - literally!!!

It's RED!!!!!!!! We're getting the touring screen, handguards with large spoilers, and top case and bracket for now. When she sets off, we'll get the side cases and brackets for it.

This is gonna be a good week!!!!!!

I used to like your new avatar... :mad:

Aren't you supposed to be hiding, or something?

:grin::thumbsup::clap::wave:

:lurk:

F650GS-08-RED.JPG

Jessica Rabbit is gonna LOVE this!!!!! (If this makes no sense, check our new avatars!)

Top box and bracket

Regular and low seats

OK, fine. Yes, I'm jealous. So there. pout.gif

Congratulations, Jamie! :clap:

That is the same picture I have on my laptop. Okay new pictures are required when Ms. Jessica Rabbit sits on it. Wait I'm sure when the sun gets so much brighter today that will be about the time she sits on it! :/

I'm just a little jealous, but by the end of the day you may need to hide like Jan said!! :dopeslap:

Oh by the way I would have said Mrs. Jessica Rabbit, but I think me and Sharon can take you out toad!! :grin:

All kidding aside I would really like to hear a ride report over the next few weeks!

F650GS-08-RED.JPG

Top box and bracket

Regular and low seats

Yeah, but you know, I'm the one that's dressed for that ride, FIRST:

420350572_VmRps-O.jpg

Ohhh.... HI-VIZ yellow is Soooo last year.........

:wave:

Jan

Oh by the way I would have said Mrs. Jessica Rabbit, but I think me and Sharon can take you out toad!! :grin:

All kidding aside I would really like to hear a ride report over the next few weeks!

Right on Girlfriend! :thumbsup:

"50 Yard Phil" should know better than try to mess with us! :grin:

He better be darned careful with Miss Jessica's new bike.

F650GS-08-RED.JPG

Top box and bracket

Regular and low seats

No picture, didn't happen. shakehead.gif

Picture! It happened. shakehead.gif

Fixed it for ya!!

420877878_8L2eP-M.jpg

420884666_BdBsw-M.jpg

Took me a while to get this up as, welll, errrr, ummmm, all in the interest of helping out I went for a short 170 mile jaunt with Steve (aka Tubesock). Hey, Jamie's busy because she can't say NO and the bike needs to be broken in properly ya know!!!!

More impressions to follow. NICE bike!!!!!!!!!!!!

420885694_c5Xfq-M.jpg

Jamie and I are doing the accessory installs ourselves. The touring screen is awesome looking!!! The cases are great looking as well. Awaiting a back ordered top case bracket and back ordered hand guards and then we'll get cracking on them along with the Autocomm, XM, and Zumo.

Stay tuned!!! We're just getting started!!!

420888865_L2q6t-M.jpg

420889438_j2FNH-M.jpg

420886277_RKjbT-M.jpg

420876969_uFX6y-M.jpg

Thanks A&S!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are awesome!!!!!!! Whole process took less than one hour!!!! Start to finish!!!!!

I would have answered quicker but I had to whipe the drool off my keyboard! That is soooooooo pretty in red! David is going to break mine in properly too when I get it.

Oh man I sure hope we have some good weather that week I get mine! I'm sooooo excited now even more!!!! :clap: :clap:

Archived